Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #1

tow vehicle with 2015 Greyhawk

I have a 2015 Greyhawk 31FK and want to tow a 2015 Chevy Equinox. I got a supply and install price from a local hitch installer of $1700.00. This includes the installation of a blue ox system. My question is does this price sound fair and, the vendor stated that brakes are not required thhat the 31FK is the braking system and that additional braking from the TV is not required. Is that true of must the TV requires have its own braking ? The TV weighs less than 5000 pounds. Any comments and suggestions are appreciated.
snipe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:45 PM   #2

I definitely would not go without a supplemental braking system (Brake Buddy or similar). Also which towbar did they quote you, that has an effect on the overall price.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #3

Most states and provinces have brake requirements for towed loads over 3000 lbs. I would not want to try braking the RV with a full size SUV in tow.

What does the Equinox weigh?

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #4

Grumpy, thanks for the response. Not sure of the type of tow bar but the price of it was $729. I will have to check on the make. I thought that I would need brakes on the TV but wasn't sure. I feel that the Grayhawk is a little stingy when it comes to braking.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #5

The curb weight if a 2015 Equinox is 3777 pounds.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe22 View Post
Grumpy, thanks for the response. Not sure of the type of tow bar but the price of it was $729. I will have to check on the make. I thought that I would need brakes on the TV but wasn't sure. I feel that the Grayhawk is a little stingy when it comes to braking.
I use a Brake Buddy now with the SENECA and if I tow without it you can feel the difference. The reason that they also probably told you it wasn't necessary is New York doesn't have any brake requirement for towing a car, just a trailer.

As to the price, with most dealerships getting $100 and hour or more it is probably inline with the work they have to do if it includes wiring.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe22 View Post
the vendor stated that brakes are not required that the 31FK is the braking system and that additional braking from the TV is not required. Is that true of must the TV requires have its own braking ? The TV weighs less than 5000 pounds. Any comments and suggestions are appreciated.
I would NOT tow without a supplemental braking system. Going down 6% grades in the Western USA the supplemental brakes on the Jeep help immensely when controlling downhill speed. Not to mention coming to emergency stop with an additional few thousand pounds on the back of your MH. The lawyers would have a field day with your insurance in the event of a wreck.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I definitely would not go without a supplemental braking system (Brake Buddy or similar). Also which towbar did they quote you, that has an effect on the overall price.
X2. Your braking system is built for your RV GVWR not GCWR
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:55 PM   #9

3,777# toad should tow fine. I would use a braking system, and yes, many states require if over 3,000#. I think you are getting a good price at $1,700. My price was slightly over $4k, for Roadmaster Falcon II, base plates and wiring on the toad, brake buddy, and Roadmaster tow defender, all installed.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:34 PM   #10

In addition to the safety factor, it makes economic sense to have a brake on the toad. Something has to stop it. The MH brakes have to do extra work if the toad brakes aren't used.

We used the Unified Tow brake and thought it was excellent. I would use a vacuum assist type again if we flat towed in the future. Blue Ox still had there's in the design phase when we bought ours. I don't know if they're selling theirs yet, but I would give it a look if I were buying.

They all work, and the price you were quoted is in the ball park. Some dealers are much better than other when it comes to supplemental brakes. Also, some towing companies have a good reputation for installing toad brakes.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:34 PM   #11

Tom, just watched YouTube on Falcon 2..im a newbie with a 2014 Greyhawk 31fk. Question: am I able to install your system on my own or what aspects require a tech or dealer installation
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:54 PM   #12

Not much to install with the tow bar. My base plates would have been easy to install, but I knew I would have needed some help to get the wiring right, and the brake system wired right, so I let a professional do it all. Their wiring was much more professional than if I had done it myself. Base plates..... some awe easy but others may require some minor grill modifications depending on your toad. I used the Roadmaster All Terrain tow bar because it is much easier to connect if your RV and toad are not sitting in even terrain. Good Luck!
Old 11-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #13

What would you say would be the ideal toad just for road use for two people all 4 down..if you were going to buy vehicle for that purpose
Old 11-03-2014, 08:06 AM   #14

Here is a great map showing the laws and weight's
http://www.brakebuddy.com/Towing-Laws
Old 11-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #15

I'm prejudiced towards the Wrangler. Lots of Jeeps being towed. Really uncomplicated hook/unhook w/out battery drain on the Jeep as we have ours set up. I've read the Smart Car is a great towed. Depends on a lot of things and personal needs/wants & pocket book.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecampingcat View Post
What would you say would be the ideal toad just for road use for two people all 4 down..if you were going to buy vehicle for that purpose
Lots of things to think about.
1. Do you have room to keep an extra vehicle around your house that you may only use as a toad or will it have to serve as a daily driver for other use?
2. If an extra vehicle just for towing are you willing to pay the annual insurance and other fixed costs, just for a vehicle for that purpose.
3. Lighter tows easier
4. How easily can it be towed without major modifications?

In our family lifestyle, I need a pickup and my wife insists on a comfortable car. Neither of those make for good toads. IMO, if a vehicle I'm going to use only as a toad is going to take up the last space in my garage, it's going to have to be economical and cute and sexy and light, and fun to drive, etc... etc... Wrangler's are good, but not all that fuel efficient. And I have trouble justifying that for use as a toad only, as it may not get used for much else. Am seriously considering the Fiat 500C (convertible), but have been in that "considering" mode for several years and yet to pull the trigger. Right now I pull a Toyota Tacoma size pickup, 4,100# and that's ok, but I would like something smaller and lighter.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #17

I would never tow anything without brakes on the toad. It is too dangerous.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #18

Fiat would be cool. DW drives a cherokee now 24 years old with 325k miles(another story) actually replacing that with a wrangler is very possible..wondet if 4 door Sahara would still be 4 down practical
Old 11-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #19

Greyhawk pinked stuff for winter but will take her out for exercise and charge house battery. Which is why I'm choosing not to cover. Wish I could have done myrtle Beach this fall though. My dad is in FL but not sure I want the winter toad salt on my new rig in its first winter
Old 11-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #20

i use a tow master dolly because i have more than 1 car to haul, it has brakes and when towing you don't even know its there, as long as car or truck is under 5000 lbs and fits on dolly, this only works with front wheel drive cars, check with car dealer and master tow to make sure it will work, my honda civic and accord both work, george at master tow is great and will help with everything, way less cost and no special installation try it you will like it
walkingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote