Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2015, 08:33 PM   #1

towed vehicle

Being new to RV'ing, we don't have a vehicle to tow with us. Suggestions and ideas welcome.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:50 PM   #2

Towed vehicle discussion

Many things go into that decision. We tow but many just rent a car as needed. I like utility vehicles with a full frame. Towing puts a lot of stress on the towed vehicle. There are many choices of smaller older four wheel drives that fit the bill. As I write this I realize I have questions for you to answer so we can give suggestions. What vehicles do you own? Are they capable to be made towable some automatics require a transmission pump (approx cost $1000) but if you own or love your car that is a viable answer. Will your toad be useful during times you are home? What type of a budget do you want to dedicate to the toad? Thank you for starting this discussion.
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:55 AM   #3

We have a Yukon so that is too big and a Cayenne and wouldn't want to tow that. I am thinking a Jeep 4 door as the transfer case can be put in neutral so should be fairly easy to tow. I could drive it as well and maybe even add a plow and use it in my business! Some of the others I have seen would be the small suv's like a tracker, or small Ford SUV's or Honda CR-V
Old 08-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #4

We tow a 4dr 2014 Jeep Wrangler. Transfer case in neutral remove the key and away you go.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:26 PM   #5

Is the Yukon 4 wheel drive? If so, id just use that. A 4 door jeep is not a lot smaller than a Yukon, unless we are talking an XL. I think that will be your least expensive way to bring a vehicle along. By the way, Yukons/Tahoes make GREAT plow vehicles. That's all Ive used in my snow plow business for the last 5 years.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:33 PM   #6

We tow a 05 Honda CRV with auto transmission. It is one of only a couple of imported auto transmission cars that can be towed 4-down. We have towed it for about 10,000 miles or more over the last 3 years w/o a problem.
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #7

I have a 2014 Seneca 37TS, so my MH drive train is the same as yours. I have two vehicles in the stable I can tow - a 2013 Ford Focus ST (six-speed manual) when it is just the DW and I; and a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport (six-speed auto w/AWD) for when the grandkids are part of the trip. Both tow very well behind the Seneca and both are very easy to set up when it is time to go. Both have push button start so there is no steering column lock on either. No fuses to pull or bypass as some vehicles require.

I use a Roadmaster Falcon All-Terrain towbar and use their Even Brake for toad supplemental braking. This combination it has always served me well, both on this motorhome and my prior Class C with a different Ford Focus. Hook up, put them in neutral, install the supplemental brakes, and away we go. I do have a charge line hooked up to both vehicles so the battery stays charged when being towed. The Seneca has 12-volts available at the trailer plug already.

The investment to safely tow a vehicle goes beyond just the car/truck/SUV itself. You have to factor the towbar, tow bar mount, brake and running light wiring, supplemental brake system and its wiring (if you want to be legal in most states and safe IMHO), or a tow dolly if you choose to go that way. Not inexpensive by any stretch, but a Seneca is not the type of motorhome you want to break down at a campsite to go sightseeing or get groceries!
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:49 PM   #8

There are many choices for a toad. A list is published annually as to to which models are towable 4W down. MH Magazine and FMCA have the info. The rest is a lot of personal choice and needs. At about 3,000 lbs my Soul is light and not really noticeable behind my Seneca. However, DW doesn't like the 6 speed manual trans. We recently drove a Jeep Unlimited Sahara and when the time comes, I think that will be our next toad.

Definitely yes for supplemental brakes. You will feel the difference on braking.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:25 PM   #9

I have a 2015 Chevy Equinox and tow it with my 2015 Grayhawk 31FK with no issue. I put it in neutral, turn the key back one click and pull a 5 amp fuse.
snipe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #10

"toad" that's pretty good!!! I can be a little slow as in "towed" vehicle lol.

What would i need to tow a vehicle?

Thanks,
Old 08-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #11

Mike, what you need is about $2,000 dollars, that would get you set up to tow the Tahoe. Look at the Brake Master Black Hawc II tow bar, it is a 10k pound capability. Even if you buy a Jeep you still need the tow bar set up but could do it a lot cheaper. Ease of hook up and convenience raises the prices but top of the line products $1,600 to $2,300 professionally installed is a fair ball park budget. I am strongly considering setting up and towing my 1 ton crew cab some of the time.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:08 AM   #12

I can install so that will be pretty easy. At what point do you need a braking system on the toad? How are lights handled?
Old 08-08-2015, 06:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew968 View Post
"toad" that's pretty good!!! I can be a little slow as in "towed" vehicle lol.

What would i need to tow a vehicle?

Thanks,
You need a tow bar and base plate for the specific tow vehicle. I prefer the type that remains on the motorhome as opposed to the type that stays on the toad when unhooked. Example:http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tow_...unt_Style.aspx You can often find these on craigslist for a fraction of what CW or dealer will charge.

The base plate is like this: http://www.etrailer.com/base-plates.htm

Then you need to have a system for trailer lights and a braking system. I found these light to be great and they are independent of the vehicle light system and more like regular trailer brakes: Roadmaster Tail Light Wiring Kit with Bulbs Roadmaster Tow Bar Wiring RM-155 and then finally you need a braking system. Examples: Tow Bar Braking Systems | etrailer.com

I found most of my stuff on craigslist and eBay, but you can go to your dealer and they will fix you up too. It's not cheap, but the benefit of having a vehicle when you reach your destination is priceless.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have more questions.
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrcos@gmail.com View Post
You need a tow bar and base plate for the specific tow vehicle. I prefer the type that remains on the motorhome as opposed to the type that stays on the toad when unhooked. Example:Hitch Mount Style Tow Bars | etrailer.com You can often find these on craigslist for a fraction of what CW or dealer will charge.

The base plate is like this: Base Plate for Tow Bar | etrailer.com

Then you need to have a system for trailer lights and a braking system. I found these light to be great and they are independent of the vehicle light system and more like regular trailer brakes: Roadmaster Tail Light Wiring Kit with Bulbs Roadmaster Tow Bar Wiring RM-155 and then finally you need a braking system. Examples: Tow Bar Braking Systems | etrailer.com

I found most of my stuff on craigslist and eBay, but you can go to your dealer and they will fix you up too. It's not cheap, but the benefit of having a vehicle when you reach your destination is priceless.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have more questions.
I use the exact same as above ! Works great !!!
2012 Jayco Skylark (SOLD)
adaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:37 PM   #15

Mike, supplemental brakes are a legal requirement in many states. In your owners manual it states that the brakes are rated for GVWR, not GCWR. I.E., you should have supplemental brakes. I've found that the effect of supplemental brakes is noticeable particularly in emergency stops. Bottom line - get them, they will keep you safe and legal.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:32 PM   #16

I have a 02 26 ft Grey Hawk. The motor is a Ford V 10. I tow my 08 Ford Edge.It's able to be towed with a auto trans. The only problem is the battery goes dead, if I tow it all day. I just unhook the battery. Stan
stans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:44 AM   #17

Just went this route, 31 ft. Melboure, towd is a 2015 Jeep Wrangler. Blue Ox tow bar 10K
Plate that fits the jeep and wired by Professional installer, $ 1800.00. Also installed Brake Buddy with brake away switch. $ 950.00 on Amazon.
Jeep owners manual says, Transfer case in neutral, Transmission in park, Key on to allow steering wheel to turn. No problems!
Brake system is a must, really makes a difference when stopping in a hurry.
Hope this was helpful.
rcdurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:26 PM   #18

Picked up the Wrangler unlimited tonight, waiting on the tow bar and supplemental brake kit, and waiting on the coach to come back from the dealer for some punch-out items. First family trip to the Smokey's next weekend!!!!
Old 08-12-2015, 09:21 PM   #19

Congrats on the new Jeep the Wrangler is almost a perfect tow companion it is light enough you will not even know it is behind you. Post a picture of the set up.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:15 PM   #20

Just bought a '15 Wrangler to tow behind my Melbourne 26a. Waiting for some parts and hope to be ready to go soon. Reviewed the Jeep manual and don't think the key needs to be in the ignition as there is no steering lock from model year 2009 and newer. I think I got that right, but let me know if I am missing something. Good luck and safe travels!
brushbuster is offline   Reply With Quote