Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2016, 07:01 PM   #1

Transmission Issue Already

Last weekend when we took a trip to Virginia Beach were cruising along fine on the highway at the posted speed limit of 70 mph. We decide to get off the highway for a pit stop and ran into some stop and go traffic between traffic lights. After the 3rd light the "Check Trans" light came on and the vehicle seemed to go into safe mode. I pulled over and shut the rig down for a few minutes and the fault cleared. The fault repeated a few more times on the way home. I dropped the rig off on Monday at a local Allison facility and they pulled the codes from the tranny and found a PS2 - pressure switch manifold assembly issue which caused an open circuit in the solenoid valve. They replaced the solenoid assembly, switch assembly and wiring harness under warranty. Has anyone else had any issues with the Allison 2500 MH in their Seneca? Ours only has 6800 miles on it.

Thanks

Ted
Old 04-01-2016, 07:25 PM   #2

I have a 2014 with about the same mileage as yours, but never any transmission issues. Have about 10,000 miles of trips planned this year so I'll keep an eye one it for sure.

I sure hope it is an isolated issue, and everything I have ever heard seems to indicate they are very reliable. Allison units in general have a great reputation in whatever type of vehicle they are installed. Let's hope history is on our side!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:32 PM   #3

Chances are, it's isolated. These transmissions are very very reliable. You don't want to get them hot, so in hill country, you want to drive with the trans temp gauge. But as long as they are not pushed beyond design limits (defined as dashing up steep long hills in 100 degree heat with your foot on the floor in a 30000 lb motorhome), your only task is to change the fluid and filters every 20k miles or so. I've had an Allison 1000 in my Chevy pickup for 13 years, pulling a 10k lb toy hauler, and it's performed flawlessly every mile.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #4

Three Questions :

1)Do we have a Trans temp guage "stock" on our Senecas ? If so where ?

2) I have a Scanguage D....is there a trans temp function on it ?

3) climbing hills while pulling a toad ,OD on or off and what would the maximum sustained rpms would you folks think would be prudent ?
goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy View Post
Three Questions :

1)Do we have a Trans temp guage "stock" on our Senecas ? If so where ?

2) I have a Scanguage D....is there a trans temp function on it ?

3) climbing hills while pulling a toad ,OD on or off and what would the maximum sustained rpms would you folks think would be prudent ?
1. No "stock" trans temp instrument.

2. It is a monitored parameter in my ScanGaugeD, you just have to scroll the list and make it one of the displayed readings.

3. Depends on the hill. If I sense the engine "lugging" or excessively shifting I will shut off OD. Otherwise I let the computer manage it. 1,600 rpm is where peak torque occurs on the Seneca's 6.7L ISB, that is where ideally you want the engine to "work". But some grades even in 4th gear (with OD off, 5th and 6th are both overdrive ratios) I am running at 2,300-2,400 rpm to keep road speed reasonable. I believe the governed rpm is 2,600.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:35 PM   #6

On the ScanGaugeD, TFT = Transmission Fluid Temp
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:48 AM   #7

Thanks Robbyr for the answer, I often find myself "flooring " the throttle on climbs and was bringing the RPM's to 2400 to keep a decent speed up...50-55 MPH.

Speaking of speed, what do you guys usually run at ?

Anav8or- Thanks for the TFT tip, so ,now that I see the temp, what is normal and at what temp should we back off ?

On my previous V10 RV,I would actually gear down and bring RPMs UP when the trans got hot while climbing....does this also apply to our rigs ?
goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:37 AM   #8

Taking the trans out of OD when approaching a long grade is a good idea. Once you scrub off speed its virtually impossible to get it back going uphill. You don't want to lug these engines. If you're geared right trans temp should stay under 200 going uphill.

I drive at around 65 mph unless the traffic, pavement or bouncing dictates otherwise. On grades - it depends.

On my DP I could set the display to show trans temp. 200 degrees was the max that I ever wanted to be at, preferably in the 180's but sometimes you just can't help it.

Yep, gear down and keep RPMs up and trans should stay cool(er).

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:54 AM   #9

It was probably just a faulty part.. Allisons are one of the best on the market today..

Sure they will go 70 and more but remember you are a house on wheels and have a lot of weight pushing you 55-60 will give you much better fuel mileage and shorter stops.. I know a lot of people drive faster but have you ever seen the results when things go wrong? That slower speed could save your life
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltW View Post
Taking the trans out of OD when approaching a long grade is a good idea. Once you scrub off speed its virtually impossible to get it back going uphill. You don't want to lug these engines. If you're geared right trans temp should stay under 200 going uphill.

I drive at around 65 mph unless the traffic, pavement or bouncing dictates otherwise. On grades - it depends.

On my DP I could set the display to show trans temp. 200 degrees was the max that I ever wanted to be at, preferably in the 180's but sometimes you just can't help it.

Yep, gear down and keep RPMs up and trans should stay cool(er).
X 2 with Walt.

Excessive shifting with the transmission clutch packs disengaging and engaging ("hunting" for gears) will certainly cause it to heat up fast. So I disengage overdrive too to keep the RPMs up. I've only driven eastern grades in moderate weather, so I can't remember ever seeing my trans temp over 170. But we are going to the southwest this summer so I guess I'll see higher temps then.

I generally do 65 or so, provided traffic and road conditions allow it. On some highways the pavement gaps create a harmonic "porpoising" of the front end, sometimes slowing some stops it and sometimes a few mph faster will stop it. Planning to switch to the newer Bilstein shocks on the front (now stock on the new Senecas), reportedly they reduce the bouncy tendency.

I try to maintain a generous following distance, but sometimes the other drivers "intrude" unknowingly into my space. Slowing down sometimes is the only way to keep a reasonable cushion.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:38 AM   #11

An additional note, the tires are rated for a max speed of 75. Anyone running that fast is really pushing it. These MH's also need a lot of distance to stop no matter which type of brakes you have. I'm with Rob on leaving a lot of distance between.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote