Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2016, 02:07 PM   #21

My opinion is Prudhoe is definitely not worth the trip. Their is nothing to look at except oilfield trucks, and metal barracks.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #22

We just went to the Arctic Circle to say we have done it, and we spent the night there while dealing with a broken fridge hinge. The tundra along way was impressive, but yeah unless you want to check the box on most northern US point, skip Prudhoe bay.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:57 AM   #23

Use Goodsams roadside assistance
Karl06greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl06greyhawk View Post
Use Goodsams roadside assistance
That can work well in the lower 48 and in some parts of Canada, BUT when you don't have cell coverage, that means that the help is even further away. plan for Self sufficiency when traveling to places where population density gets really low.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:44 AM   #25

Why would anyone travel anywhere without a spare ? I see no upside and tons of downside. Having driven the Alcan hwy back in the mid 60's, if your not pretty self sufficient you don't survive. Many times your 100 miles or more away from assistance and could be 1000 miles from a new wheel and tire..

I don't understand why you would refuse to carry a spare, anyone have a good reason?

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB View Post
That can work well in the lower 48 and in some parts of Canada, BUT when you don't have cell coverage, that means that the help is even further away. plan for Self sufficiency when traveling to places where population density gets really low.
Doesn't work very well in many parts of the west. You can easily be 100 miles from help, and place your life in peril. Guess it's like the folks that climb our mountains here in Az, take no water with them, then have to have others risk their lives to come rescue them...can't fix stupid I guess.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:49 PM   #27

I purchased a new Michelin tire to use as a spare. I also purchased 4 shiny new Alcoa rims. I'm keeping one steel wheel and selling the other three. These are from my 2016 greyhawk but I know they'll fit back to 2010 and probably further back than that.
If you know of anyone looking for a new rim to use as a spare, let me know!
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:53 PM   #28

This spare tire carrier works for me. However, the disadvantage of this over the Wheelmaster is that you can't tow and use this hitch at the same time. I have to take the spare off and put it in the trunk of the toad which is a bit of a pain.

Curt spare tire hitch carrier
Old 04-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #29

Do you have a photo of that? I have a DS and was wanting to carry a mounted spare and an unmounted one. Planning trip to Alaska next spring and summer.
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #30

Pics of spare tire hitch

Hitch spare tire holder.

Darn thing weighs #100 so have a winch to help me get it on the MH. The old back, she ain't what she used to be. I'll be calling roadside assistance if I have a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05513.jpg   DSC05514.jpg  
Old 04-30-2016, 12:20 PM   #31

I went to the local trailer supply place and bought a spare tire mount that mounts in your trailer hitch. if you have a toad get a piggy back model that has two places for receivers, one on top of the other. Use the bottom for the toad and the upper one for your spare tire carrier. Works great. If you have a toad, put it in the trunk of the toad. The Siamese carrier is made by CURT.
billayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:39 PM   #32

We have a 2016 Class C Jayco melbourne on a 3500 MB chassis where should we get a Spare?
I have not found one --rear wheels are duals
Thanks in advance for any help
DickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:23 PM   #33

Got my spare from the dealer at no chg. Would not sign the papers unless they included a spare. Nobody should be without a spare. As for a second spare, I would first go to Discount Tire if you have one there locally. The newer stores seem more equipped for motorhome tire service and do carry or can get most tires that would match your coach. They may be able to come up with the wheel or know where you can go to get one. Good luck on resolving problem and safe travels.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #34

I would never travel in/around Alaska without a spare. The last time I was there I blew 3 tires on the RV in one trip. Of course that was 1965 and the Alcan Highway wasn't paved yet :-).

The "Gravel" in Alaska and the Yukon Territories seems to have a lot of shale in it. Those little flat chips of shale get wedged into the tread and then just dig and dig and dig until they even get through the steel belts.

You might think - "well, I'm not driving on any gravel roads" - but you will pull into campgrounds, parking lots and other spaces paved with Gravel.

Last time I drove up that way (2008 I think) I talked to some locals that told me, "in the winter we run really expensive steel belted snow tires - in the summer we run the cheapest junk tires we can find and always carry a plugging kit and an air compressor."
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote