Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2016, 12:20 PM   #31
I went to the local trailer supply place and bought a spare tire mount that mounts in your trailer hitch. if you have a toad get a piggy back model that has two places for receivers, one on top of the other. Use the bottom for the toad and the upper one for your spare tire carrier. Works great. If you have a toad, put it in the trunk of the toad. The Siamese carrier is made by CURT.

billayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:39 PM   #32
We have a 2016 Class C Jayco melbourne on a 3500 MB chassis where should we get a Spare?
I have not found one --rear wheels are duals
Thanks in advance for any help

DickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:23 PM   #33
Got my spare from the dealer at no chg. Would not sign the papers unless they included a spare. Nobody should be without a spare. As for a second spare, I would first go to Discount Tire if you have one there locally. The newer stores seem more equipped for motorhome tire service and do carry or can get most tires that would match your coach. They may be able to come up with the wheel or know where you can go to get one. Good luck on resolving problem and safe travels.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #34
I would never travel in/around Alaska without a spare. The last time I was there I blew 3 tires on the RV in one trip. Of course that was 1965 and the Alcan Highway wasn't paved yet :-).

The "Gravel" in Alaska and the Yukon Territories seems to have a lot of shale in it. Those little flat chips of shale get wedged into the tread and then just dig and dig and dig until they even get through the steel belts.

You might think - "well, I'm not driving on any gravel roads" - but you will pull into campgrounds, parking lots and other spaces paved with Gravel.

Last time I drove up that way (2008 I think) I talked to some locals that told me, "in the winter we run really expensive steel belted snow tires - in the summer we run the cheapest junk tires we can find and always carry a plugging kit and an air compressor."

Buddy Ray - Atlanta
Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS
Ford F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote