Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2016, 09:52 PM   #1

Traveling without a spare tire

Reaching out to those with experience.

We are in planning stages to take our Class C Grey Hawk to Fairbanks (about 12,000 miles round trip) from south Louisiana in mid May through June.

In my planning, I suddenly realized the coach doesn't have a spare tire.

Has anyone here tackled such a drive without a spare......???

Where would someone carry a spare on a Class C coach ...???

Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:58 PM   #2

Research as much as you can on a road trip to Fairbanks Alaska. I caught the end of an Alaska seminar at the Minneapolis Camping show this past Friday night and heard an expert talk about RVing to Alaska and the recommendation was 2 spare tires. So I for sure wouldn't leave town without one. I don't know first hand but there can be stretches of road where you may be a long way from service.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:01 PM   #3

There are bumper mount spare tire carriers available.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...0c%20motorhome
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:17 PM   #4

I've been to alaska, roads are frost heaved. I would want at least an unmounted spare. Make sure to have glass coverage on your insurance. If I recall 1 in 3 MHs get a broken windshield.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:28 AM   #5

Its a long way between service, and a tire may be days away. I would do your research thoroughly before you go, to know what to expect. You don't pass up to many places to get fuel either.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:50 AM   #6

I just celebrated my 70th birthday and don't relish the thought of changing a tire on the side of the road. For you younger guys, that is the quick way to do it. However, road service only puts on your good spare as part of their service. Anything else is extra. It is difficult enough trying to find a replacement tire in the states when you are broke down on the side of the road. If its Sunday, you really have a problem. Try that in Alaska, when you may be miles from any kind of service is just uncalled for. If it were me, I would have a good spare and a couple more new tires, that at least could be mounted on your rim.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:12 AM   #7

Most obvious place to carry my spare is under the bed. Can be accessed through the left rear storage compartment on the Greyhawk 31 FS. Good advice has been two mounted spares ready to install when called for.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:56 AM   #8

Too bad you can't mount a spare on the FRONT bumper. Most C's could use the weight in the front, not more weight hanging off the long rear (thus unloading the front more).

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Too bad you can't mount a spare on the FRONT bumper. Most C's could use the weight in the front, not more weight hanging off the long rear (thus unloading the front more).
You can, and we do, for just that reason. I had a front mounted hitch receptacle put on my 31DS and bought a hitch mounted spare tire carrier for it. works great, no obvious effect on airflow through the radiator (although I have not gone through the Mojave desert in summer ). It does not add to the beauty of the unit, but I do not care.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:32 AM   #10

Spare Tire

I have made the trip twice. I would defiantly have a mounted spare. You can get services along the way but they will cost. You could probably put all new tires on your motor home for what you might pay for one in the Yukon Territory. Everything in Canada costs considerably more than what it does in the US. If you have a mounted spare with you, you could probably get help from someone else traveling the highway. We never had a tire failure but we did have windshield damage on both trips. The frost heaves are always bad between Destruction Bay and the Alaskan state line. Just slow down and watch the vehicle in front of you. I would also recommend towing insurance. Good Sam's offers one for anywhere from $80 to $129 a year. It could be a long tow if you have a major break down. It also covered getting your motor home back home if you had a medical emergency etc. All being said I would defiantly make the trip. It is one of the most beautiful drives you will ever take. Have fun and good luck.

Bill
wsherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:02 AM   #11

The thought of a spare tire wrapped in a sleeve, in the bed rack (rated at 700 lbs) above the driver comes to mind. (unk)...

I want to thank everyone for the suggestions. The coach is brand new so their are concerns of potential damage of any sort. We have experience Alaska by air, train, and cruise ship, but we are in hopes of a vehicle trip. I'm wondering if we wouldn't be better off going in the Toyota FJ. Still in research ..... thanks to all .....
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:48 PM   #12

I did this trip but with a start point a little further away, Tampa, FL. There are quite a few video bloggers (Gone with the Wynns, Chris & G Travels) that have discussed the trip at length. One thing that many here have failed to mention is that there are large stretches of road where there is NO cell phone service. So plan as much self sufficiency as possible, Tools, air pump that can handle RV tires(there is a difference), spare tire/s, tape, glue, roof repair materials, silicone, tarp to lay on while working under your rig, TPMS, etc. As I had 6 people inside, all of the interior space was needed. I opted to get a hitch mounted spare tire holder. Luckily I never needed the tire. My one issue that caused some pause was the plastic hinge on the the fridge door breaking when we were at the arctic Circle, many hours away from civilization and over $200 in food in the fridge. Get a costco membership as it is the cheapest gas in all of Canada, othewise try to use safeway gas stations, as you get credits you can then use for other purchases in the store(we bought a LOT of windshield washer fluid due to bugs).

Upon arriving in Fairbanks, we did an oilchange in my friend's driveway. We bought oil filters from the ford dealer before taking off.

Good luck on the trip.

BTW, I actually ran into Chris from the Chris & G travels channel while at a dump station in Seward, Alaska.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #13

I'd be sure to have at least 1 spare tire mounted on a rim: On the Denali Highway, our van had 2 flat tires at the same time (what are the odds?).
We put on our only spare and early the next day, DW and I started hitchhiking, rolling one of the flat tires, to the nearest service station... about 25 miles away IIRC. Only 25! That was lucky, but too far to walk round trip in a day!

Actually, the 2nd vehicle that came along gave us a ride almost all the way to the service station. After getting that tire repaired, we began hitchhiking back to our van. And again we got a ride very quickly all the way back to our van.

This was back in 1980. The help from those strangers turned a potentially serious situation into a newlywed couple's fond memory.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:41 PM   #14

I had 2 flats on my motorhome in Virginia within 10 miles of each other and didn't have a second spare . a state trooper ended up taking me and my second flat to a tire store and went back to the motorhome to wait until I got it mounted. I got 4 more new tires the next morning. I always carry at least 2 spares, a aluminum racing jack and a 20 volt dewalt 1/2 inch impact with me now as I don't like being on the side of the road any longer than I have to anymore
Old 02-27-2016, 08:46 PM   #15

I carry a mounted spare in the rear compartment on a 31ss. Lots of room. No tools to change it. Leaving that up to Good Sam.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:15 PM   #16

I made a four month trip to Alaska last summer. I took a mounted spare in the rear compartment of our 2014 31DS. That model has more than enough room to carry a spare in the rear compartment. Road repairs in the Yukon and British Columbia are brutal. There can be 20 miles or more where the pavement is completely removed leaving extremely rough driving conditions. I could drive 20 mph at most on those stretches, sometimes only 5 mph. I met at least two other RVers who had broken axles and ruined tires on their 5th wheels causing $10,000 in repairs. On the way up we had a windshield rock chip which was repaired at Whitehorse promply. Halfway through the summer I needed to replace a front tire due to wear from misalignment but in Juneau and Ketchikan I couldn't find a shop that could do the alignment on my 31' RV, even those recommended by Coachnet. Tried in Prince Rupert when we got off the ferry system, no luck. In Prince George a freightliner truck repair center had a two week wait for alignments. Drove very carefully the rest of the way home without a tire failure. I should have driven back to Anchorage when I noticed the tire issue. I had the oil changed in Anchorage but noticed the tire issue the day after I left there. Get repairs done in Fairbanks or Anchorage or you may be out of luck like I was.
kevin5203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:42 PM   #17

Don't wear yourself out worrying about the trip! Do take precautions that will keep you out of trouble. We were really surprised at the condition of the roads, they were actually in very good shape. We only drove about 5 miles on gravel. That was because of road work on the highway. Take your rv to your local welding shop. Talk to them about mounting a spare somewhere. I'll bet they will come up with a good place to mount it. Order a mile post, they are priceless when making the trip! Believe me, anyone can make the trip! I had a gentleman approach me one morning in a rv camp. He said I'm a little embarrassed in asking, but could you show me how to check the air, and oil on my rv? I was more than happy to show him all I could think of about what to check. Have fun on the trip. It was the best one yet, for us.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:02 AM   #18

We purchased the Roadmaster spare tire carrier that also allows you to connect the tow bar for the TOAD. A bit pricey, but extremely well made. We're also planning an Alaska trip and wanted a spare.
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:10 PM   #19

Hi Trish,

I think that the Roadmaster is the best product out there, and being able to still use the hitch is priceless!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:52 PM   #20

We made the trip to Fairbanks in 2014 in our 2012 Seneca with no spare and no problems. Bill is spot on with road conditions between Destruction Bay and the state line as the worst section of road, but some of the most breath taking scenery. The locals refer to road conditions as either impassible or under construction. We planned on driving to Prudhoe Bay, but everyone who made the trip returned to Fairbanks with a broken windshield, so we decided the trip to Prudhoe was not worth the expense. In areas of road construction we slowed down and hugged the side of the road and did not chip or break the windshields on the MH or tow. We had Good Sam's and AAA insurance without a need to call, but if you do need to call even cell service is non-existent at times. Happy Trails!
jsimonson is offline   Reply With Quote