Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2016, 11:05 PM   #1

Trying to decide between 2 models

This is my first post. Have found so much valuable information so far! My husband and I are trying to decide between two models. The Jayco Greyhawk 31FK and the 29MV. We will mostly be traveling alone, just the two of us and 2 to 3 dogs (larger 60 pounds and 2 85 pounders, lab and hound mixes). We know we want the bunk over and not the entertainment center. Any pro and con's for these two floor plans would be appreciated.

Also another question, do the slide toppers come standard or do we have to purchase them separately?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, input and honest opinions!
gandb26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:12 PM   #2

Welcome to the JOF and happy shopping! I'm sure some Greyhawk owners will be around with some helpful information.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:42 AM   #3

I choose the FK for the outside storage, couch to television location, the location of the enterance door and the fact that i dont like having a slide sticking out on the passenger side. One thing i didnt realize till after i bought it is that the fk has a longer wheelbase then some of the other models of the same length. but since i didnt test drive the other ones i dont know if it effects the handling. But their seems to be a lot more mv owners on this forum so im sure they will chime in. Best of luck with which everone you choose.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:22 AM   #4

Traded a 5th wheel in on my first class C last year. Bought a 29MV with overhead bunk. Like the add'l space of the bedroom slide and a little more counter space vs. the 31FK. However, you loose the huge rear pass-thru storage with the 29MV which you might find useful hauling supplies for your dogs. Also, a bit tougher to fit lawn chairs in the 29MV storage. Mine did not come with slide awnings. Good Luck and Happy Trails.
Stoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:50 AM   #5

I would imagine the TV cabinet in the FK is pretty nice. Also agree on the outside storage on the FK vs. the MV.

However, for me, the slide in the bedroom (makes the bedroom bigger) / bigger kitchen / and the entry door being on the END of the awning were big selling points for me.

Having had a entry door in the middle of the awning on a prior rig, I really grew to dislike essentially cutting the patio in half to accommodate foot traffic in/out of the rig. And sometimes the step you'll need depending on the site. I much rather have the traffic come and go on the end of the patio and leave the rest of it as space you can set up and sprawl out on.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #6

Thanks for the thoughts! I am a bit concerned about the lack of storage for the 29MV. Where do you put a broom (or anything with a long handle)? I instantly thought of the lawn chair issue as well. I love the layout, it is exactly what I'm looking for. I just discovered the FK floor plan last night and like that as well, but feel like I need more room in the bedroom and like the amount of drawers and counter space in the MV. I guess everything is a trade off.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:19 AM   #7

We have 2 Strongback Elite chairs - they fit in the outside storage compartments just fine (the rear one w/ the wire shelf). For our beach chairs, my wife bought 2 large zippered bags. We put a beach chair in each while we're underway. The bags than get 'stored' on the side of the bed.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:07 PM   #8

The FK and the MV have the same length wheelbase. The MV may have more interior storage. We liked the open feeling of the MV's layout. Our last Greyhawk MH had basement storage and as a result I carried many things I never used. When I transferred stuff to the new Greyhawk, I cleaned house so to speak. I find I don't miss the extra junk. we carry a long handled broom in the space over the cab.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:28 PM   #9

When we retired, we started looking for class C's, and after checking out all of Jayco's models, we choose the Redhawk 26XD (and one of the dog's that goes with us is a 135 pound bouncing baby girl). It's great because the 26 foot lets us maneuver easily around and park almost anywhere. With the new 6 speed transmission, we get a bit over 11 MPG!

We choose the Redhawk over the Grayhawk for several reasons:

The Grayhawk doesn't come in the size that we wanted (just the two of us and 3 dogs).
Cost, of course, the Redhawk saved us about 12,000.00.
The Grayhawk had a bunch of stuff that we didn't want, such as the tank-less water heater, levelers, one piece ceiling lights, in-dash navigation system, awning lights, etc.
We got the dealer to throw in the Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier as part of the deal, and slide toppers and MaXXair vent covers and power vents.

Now, it's all good!

Whatever you decide, have fun, and be safe!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:01 PM   #10

Li camper you are right about the wheelbase i just checked jayco's website and the 2015 and up are on the same wheelbase. I have a 2014 and that year they were on a different length wheelbase. Im not sure what changed.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #11

First off... Welcome aboard!

As Jopopsy, I also have the 29MV and the Mrs. and I really like it!. This is our first motor-home as our previous RV was an 25 ft Airstream.

With that being said we knew we wanted a longer kitchen counter and a bedroom where you could move around in. As the guys say... the more storage you have the more "junk" you carry! which equals more weight/gas ! We also cleaned house when we transferred the actual "stuff" we use and required. (we ended up getting rid of more then half of what we were carrying and even forgot that we had put some of the stuff in the trailer.

As for the chairs, we put two of our Costco folding chairs (as Jopopsy does) in the large rear storage area. I even put the extra propane tank and folding table back there. As for brooms, I take the pole off the brush and it fits perfectly!

When I'm not towing my truck, I attach the Cargo carrier

(Robot Check )

which allows me to carry additional "stuff" if need be...

As for Toppers, I purchased mine at CWorld. They did have to remove the gutter on the large living room slider as there is minimum space.

Also love the fact that the door is at the end of the awning. And yes, we do like the LED lights that are part of the awning. It keeps me from having to bring a light out and for those warm summer evenings when you set out side and drink those adult beverages!

And I really love those levelers.. Had to hand crank them on the Airstream. Not good on hot and rainy days. Love the fact that shower is separate (across) from bathroom. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth of input!

S/
Rick

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:12 AM   #12

Those are all the same things I love about that model! Would love recliners instead of a sofa though…I have found some threads that say it can be done after market, but we are not handy.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:44 AM   #13

I really like the sofa. We just got a storage ottoman to plop in front of it.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:55 AM   #14

The sofa is great... Perhaps someday I'll get to it before our Newfoundland, and actually get to try it out!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #15

I did the same thing with two small storage ottomans. One for shoes and one for toys. Great foot rest for the couch and tucks under the dinette when not in use.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:42 AM   #16

We put the throw blankets in the ottoman. We still try to take our shoes off when entering the coach; just like we do at home. Most of the time it even works !

Old 02-27-2016, 08:29 PM   #17

I would go with the FK, because of the outside storage. Can't have too much outside storage. The other model I would seriously look for if I was doing it again, would be the Greyhawk 31DS
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #18

my wifes # 1 requirement

A big Kitchen...so we bought the 29 mv...
#2 requirement, a big bedroom with nice big closet and drawers...
Our 29mv has everything we need and then some..
Coming from a class A, we lost tons of storage, but most of that stuff we never used...
I still carry two 5 gallon jugs extra water, a Honda 2000 generator, folding lawn chairs, a 110v. air compressor, even one compartment used for two 6v. golf cart batteries upgrade.
So storage is just fine, the more storage one has, just means more junk to haul around, in my opinion...
Good luck with your search...