Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2017, 07:32 AM   #1

Tv satellite hookup

We just purchased a 2017 Jayco Grayhawk. Does anyone know how to hookup a portable satellite system to the coach. It is prewired for roof satellite but we don't have that.
connjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:54 AM   #2

We have a portable satellite and we just set it on the roof then run the coax cable down the ladder and up into the motorhome thru a window. Pain in the butt, but we don't use it that often. I am not aware of another way to run it in to get to the receiver box.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:13 AM   #3

Couldn't one connect the lead from the portable dish to the connection point on the roof for the pre-wired system? I imagine you would need a female to male coax adaptor. Essentially the Jayco pre-wired coax would become an extension of your existing system's coax cable between the receiver and dish.

Disclaimer: I've never done this. Just making a suggestion based on my general understanding of how satellite systems work.
whatimmadoboutmylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:47 PM   #4

There should be some satellite *outputs* behind a TV someplace. IIRC, they're in our 2016 Greyhawk. That leaves the inputs from the dish.

I think what people are doing is calling Jayco tech support.
They'll apparently mail you a PDF showing you exactly where the cables are - buried under the roof. It sounds like you carefully measure, then drill a hole in your roof and yank the cables thru.

That's my recollection.

If that's true, I'd rather eat liver than punch a hole in my roof and I'll drag the cables thru a window.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:51 AM   #5

Do you have a hook up for campground cable?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:50 AM   #6

The "prewired" satellite connection is under the roof. So to access it, you must cut a hole in the roof and add a plate with a coax connection (not worth it in my opinion for a portable). I have not tried running the coax into the campground cable coax that is located in the power cord compartment. This may work for indepentantly powered satellites (Winguard) but I'm not sure if that would work for a self powered (thru the coax) unit like a tailgater. We have a Winguard so I might give it a try this season.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:25 AM   #7

Sat TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by connjab View Post
We just purchased a 2017 Jayco Grayhawk. Does anyone know how to hookup a portable satellite system to the coach. It is prewired for roof satellite but we don't have that.
I run mine around the slide rubber low and open the slide, more than enough room or use the flat cable and do it the same way, l just got my 2017 Gray Hawk DS31 and tested it out both ways w/o a problem, l am debating of adding another connection through the side of the rig, but not sure of any wiring that may be in the wall next to the slide area behind the drivers seat.
GrayHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:50 AM   #8

Our Redhawk has an input on the driver's side of the coach in the same compartment as the power cord. That line runs to the back of the plate near the TV that has the antenna booster switch on it. I disconnected it from the switch, added a barrel connector and extended the line into the satellite box. This setup keeps it nice and clean and easy to setup.It also allows all of the TV's to still receive OTA tv reception if I don't want to setup the satellite.

I also purchased this to use on the bedroom/outdoor TV
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It let's me feed the satellite signal or blue ray to the other TV's without the hassle/expense of extra satellite boxes or blueray players.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk98 View Post
Our Redhawk has an input on the driver's side of the coach in the same compartment as the power cord. That line runs to the back of the plate near the TV that has the antenna booster switch on it. I disconnected it from the switch, added a barrel connector and extended the line into the satellite box. This setup keeps it nice and clean and easy to setup.It also allows all of the TV's to still receive OTA tv reception if I don't want to setup the satellite.

I also purchased this to use on the bedroom/outdoor TV
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It let's me feed the satellite signal or blue ray to the other TV's without the hassle/expense of extra satellite boxes or blueray players.
I am going to look at mine and see if I can do the same...like the idea , thanks for the input DRK98
Old 04-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #10

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'm going to run it thru front window. It is a pain. Think they couls have left the sat. wire open but covered.
connjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:34 AM   #11

Ran a New Connection & Cable under the Rig and up through a spot under the drivers seat.....put the cable through the plug and up to the TV area....as I have Direct TV with a SWM,,,, work fine and no holes to see.... works just fine......
Toad: 2013 Honda CRV
US NAVY & ARMY
Old 10-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #12

Did it work for you?
Randy Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #13

Sat cable Rn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Cook View Post
Did it work for you?
Yes worked just fine, shame they don’t build the with 3 way connections.. so you don’t have to run cabling.
US NAVY & ARMY
Old 10-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #14

Did you have to deal with the amplifier issue or the "jumper"?
Old 10-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #15

Sat. Cable Run

Quote:
Did you have to deal with the amplifier issue or the "jumper"?
Did not have to deal with anything.... straight cable run as I have the DTV SWM powered DTV Dish, just can’t get DTV in the bedroom unless l get one more item so l can do wireless like at home, l do not stay awake long enough to watch tv in the back.
US NAVY & ARMY
Old 10-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #16

I have the same dish....with and H24-700 Direct TV Receiver. Where did you put the satellite connection plate? How did you run from under to drivers seat to upper cabinet on the passenger side? Sorry to have so many questions. I appreciate your help.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:56 PM   #17

Sat. Cable Run

Quote:
I have the same dish....with and H24-700 Direct TV Receiver. Where did you put the satellite connection plate? How did you run from under to drivers seat to upper cabinet on the passenger side? Sorry to have so many questions. I appreciate your help.
I did a direct run to the SWM.., l did not want to add another plate, so l ran the cable right up along the bed side of the drivers side until l can find a better way to mount it or leave it as is as you can’t really see it unless you are really looking.

Hope this helps
US NAVY & ARMY
Old 10-09-2017, 04:47 PM   #18

I have a 2017 30x. I decided to use the outside tv coax since I will never have an outside tv. There was enough coax in the bay where the tv connection is to run it to the outside. I drilled a hole in compartment floor (seal the hole with silicone) and ran the coax outside to a bracket I built that I attached to the underside of the coach. I then attached the receiver to the coax that goes to the amplifier for the outside tv. An hour tops. Now I can run the Tailgater any where I want and just hook the coax up and fire up the reciever.
rchlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:09 AM   #19

I added a connection to mine and ran the cable up under the drivers seat through a rubber plug......
US NAVY & ARMY