Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2011, 06:55 AM   #1

Question TV Surround Sound Question

Maybe I just don't know what I am doing, but should the TV play through the surround sound system on the interior of the MH? When the DVD player is on, it works great. But when just the TV is on (we don't have satellite, we just use the antenna), the sound only comes through the TV and no where else. There was no sound from the TV when we first brought the MH out, and my BIL changed a setting to get the sound on the TV. Maybe we missed something?

It is going back into the dealer next week for some additional warranty work and just trying to finalize my list. Is this something that needs to be on it?

This is a great forum. Thanks to all!
donellen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:35 AM   #2

The dealer should be able to correct this for you. They did for me.

When they pulled the in-dash radio out, there was a multitude of rca plugs. Some from the tv and some going out of the sound system. They eventually found a combination that allowed me to use AUX 1 for sound from the DVD and AUX 2 for sound from the tv. The outside speakers will also work from AUX 1 and AUX 2.
Jay Flight 26BH - traded for Greyhawk
MichaelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to jloving
Same issue

I had the same issue with my 2011 31JK. I thought it was just crazy to go to the trouble of installing surround sound and only the Radio/DVD played through it. Mine has a box in the cab where the TV is with R/W/Y F connectors which I think are from the DVD/Radio. It has 1 input and 2 output. One to the TV and I think one to the outside TV hookup. I looked up the mfg and order a different box that allows me to have multiple inputs and outputs.

I have not installed it yet but my plan is to be able to play the DVD on one TV and satellite/antenna on a different one. i also have a TV in the Bedroom which i'll have to run the R/W/Y connectors too since it only has 75ohm.

I would say that the Surround Sound/Satellite/DVD setup in the unit was thrown together but not planned out very well.

Jim
Old 11-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #4

Our MH is at the dealer for warranty work. I took a copy of MichaelD's response to them and we will see what happens. I will let you all know the outcome.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #5

Have the same issue. No surround sound with the TV.
Tom Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #6

So the word from the dealer is they cannot make the surround sound work through the tv, only the dvd. Even with the specific directions from MichaelD that I had given them. I am sure they just did not want to mess with it. Oh well, we can live without it and I just don't feel like arguing over it with them.

If anybody else finds that it is supposed to work through the tv as part of the original setup, please let me know.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #7

Mine was fixed under warranty, by Aberdeen RV Center in Aberdeen, Mississippi.
I wish I had actually been present when they got it working so I could tell you what they did.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #8

Has anyone asked Jayco yet about this issue? Would like to know.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #9

On our 2012 Melbourne 29D, I changed the speaker setting on the tv. in either the Set-up or Sound menu(momentary senior moment)! Volume is then controlled through in-dash dvd player in one of the aux. lines. Hope this helps.
CRAIGRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #10

Although I don't know your specific setup here is what needs to be accomplished regardless of the vehicle.

First the TV sound is only going to come from the TV since that is where the tuner is. The DVD sound can come from either the stereo, TV or both depending on the setting.
If you have easy access to your TV look behind it and see where the Red and white RCA wires are fed into. If they are in the TV audio input that is your DVD sound. If you can live with the DVD always coming from the surrond sound then unplug the red and white jacks and proceed as below. Leave the yellow Video feed in the TV input so your DVD will play through the TV.

Now the hard part. Your going to need to pull your stereo out of it's mounted location to access the back unless you can do it by some other means. If you have a Jensen stereo there are going to be RCA jack audio feeds and outputs which should be labled as Aux 1, Aux 2 and so on. If you do not have any open female RCA audio feeds in white or red your going to need to pull one of the feed lines that you think you will never use like an exterior or bedroom feed line.

Before disconnecting anything in back you need to figure out which set of RCA plugs is currently feeding to your TV. To do that simply put on the DVD player with a DVD and play it through the TV you want the TV sound coming from. There will be no sound on the TV due to the disconnecting of the RCA jacks previously so unplug one of the yellow audio feeds and see if the TV looses picture. If it did not plug it back in and repeat the process until it goes blank. Once you locate it plug the yellow back in, now know the set of RCA cables you are going to disconnect from the Aux output and use to back feed your TV sound into the stereo. The three cables should be connected together.

Now disconnect the red and white wires and plug them into the open audio input that you have chosen. Plug the red and white jacks into the audio output of your TV and turn on both to check that sound is coming through the stereo. You are going to need to select the AUX input that you have plugged into to get sound out of the stereo.

Sorry so lenghty, it sounds harder than it is. Take your time and you should have it done within an hour or so.

The only way you can have DVD sound on the TV and stereo is to run another set of RCA wires between the TV and stereo which I doubt you want to do.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:43 PM   #11

I think I will try Craigrd's response first. Since the MH is in winter storage, I will have to try this next spring. Neither my husband or I are mechanically inclined, so I am sure there is no way we will be pulling out the stereo system. We will live with it as is if Craigrd's suggestion doesn't work for us.

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply.

Counting the days until spring!
Old 11-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #12

My 5'er did not come with the TV wired which is why I had to go through that process. Yours maybe is already wired just haven't figured out the right combo yet which would lead itself to Craigrd's suggestion.
Good luck.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #13

Hi Donellen, my tv is prewired to the in-dash DVD and I don't have access (as far as I can tell) to the back of the tv. Good luck!
Old 11-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #14

Hi Donellen, clarification. I have a Clarion in-dash DVD and a Jensen TV. The only way to have surround sound is through the DVD AVI IN. You can either leave tv sound on or off. Hope this helps!
Old 11-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #15

will give that a try
Old 12-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #16

Out in the woods. Was going to watch a dvd movie. Picture will not come on at the tv. Will come on dash screen. No sound through surround-sound speakers.
What's the deal? It's got to be simple.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #17

Send a message via MSN to jloving
Change input

Did you change the input on your TV? Probably should be set to one of the component inputs.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #18

I have the same set up. Spent hours trying to get the DVD to work with the TV. No picture or sound. No surround sound at all.
Guess my question is: Does the in dash DVD suppose to work throw the TV or all you get is the small dash screen with DVD.
Stopped at a Camping World this weekend and ask "that" question. One of the techs said the only way to get DVD playing on the large TV screen was to buy a seperate DVD player. Of course he also tried to sell me one.
This just doesn't sound right.
For the $$$ we put into these systems you would think it would all work together.
Need help on this one !!!!!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #19

My dealer, Aberdeen RV in Aberdeen, MS., corrected all the issues mentioned in the above thread, under warranty. My in-dash DVD player will play on both the in-dash screen and on the tv. The sound from the tv, both tv sound or DVD sound, will come through the sound system using AUX1 and AUX2. The sound will also work on inside or outside speakers.

None of the above worked when I took delivery (my error.... I was in too much of a hurry and rushed the PDI). When I took the unit back a month later they corrected the sound issues in about 2 hours.

I know it can be done. Wish I knew how they did it. Maybe a call to Jayco will help. Tell Jayco that Aberdeen RV can correct the sound issues. Maybe Craig, the technician there, can help / advise other dealers how make the customer happy.

PS... I had to make the tv work while "in-motion" myself (purple wire)
Old 12-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #20

Thanks
Will contract Jayco. Not a lot of luck in the past with their customer service but will give it a try.
Finally got our in-motion sat system working with a local dealers help. Jayco was no help at all.