Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #1

tv turning off with ignition on

Hello, we have a 2013 Melbourne 28F with a 32"front TV which the grandkids love. There is only one problem, everything works great until they buckle up and we get ready to head down the road, the TV shuts off when I start the ignition. Does anyone know if the plug the TV is using can be connected to the inverter or how I would get a wiring diagram for this model or get around this issue???

thanks

Rick and Barbara
2013 Jayco Melbourne 28F
geman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #2

This could be a built in safety issue so driver can not be distracted
Added Bedroom light switch and outlet https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=7582
dlfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #3

dlfeather, your right, I just talked to Jayco and they said it was a safety feature. Not sure I understand since on the melbourne the tv is about 2 feet behind the driver and no way visible. There has to be a way to rewire it so the kids can watch a movie to pass the time.

Rick and Barbara
Ontario, Canada
Old 01-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #4

Re: tv turning off with ignition on

Unless they changed the color code there is a purple wire going into the back of the receptacle. All you need to do is cut it. I put spade connectors on it in case I need to reconnect it.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #5

thanks Grumpy, i will try that and let you know....
Rick
Old 01-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #6

If you dont want to cut any wires, there is a relay that is attached to the back of the outlet. On my Greyhawk, the black lead went to one of the wires on the relay. I just disconnected it, bypassing the relay, and connected it the way it would be with out the relay using wire nuts. Something told me that I should have taken a picture when I did it. I will be checking on the RV in storage this weekend and will snap a picture and post it.
Troy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #7

Grump's been posting that same ole line ever since I get here. But I sure did appreciate him passing the word. Welcome genman1
Old 01-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #8

thanks Troy, I will look forward to the picture...

Rick
Old 01-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kave&Lucky View Post
Grump's been posting that same ole line ever since I get here. But I sure did appreciate him passing the word. Welcome genman1
Mods need to make it a sticky then I wouldn't have to be so redundant.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #10

Click image for larger version

Name:	outlet.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	6179

The relay is the big black thing that is on the back of the outlet glued on the left with the black white and red wires coming out from it. You have your power wire coming in from the top left with the white, black and copper ground coming out of it. Normally how this is wired is the yellow (might be different color) wire nut is connecting the black lead from the power in to one of the black leads from the relay, the other black relay is connected to the screw connection on the center of the outlet. Basically as wired from Jayco, the relay will open when the key is in the ignition causing a break in the black line like a light switch. What I did instead of cutting any wires was to disconnect the black leads that come from the relay to the incoming power black lead and put the wire nut on them and connect the black lead from the power line directly to the outlet where the black lead from the relay connected. This basically bypasses the "switch" function of the relay. The relay will still turn on/off with the key but will not affect the outlet at all. The main reason I did this was due to the fact that that is the only outlet powered by the inverter and I wanted to plug a crock pot in to cook meals while we were driving on our road trip this coming summer. I hope this helps.
Troy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #11

Troy, thanks...that will be a big help.

Rick and Barbara
2013 Melbourne 28F
Ontario, Canada
Old 02-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #12

I have a 2013 Redhawk 26XS and will be making this fix tomorrow. I will post pics as well in case they have changed something with the new models.

LOL you can imagine my surprise when the TV shut off on me. I thought I broke something! I am comimg from a travel trailer and am not familiar with invertors and generators. I have an electronics degree that I haven't used in 15 years. Time to put it to work!

The sad thing is the TV is no where near where I can watch it... Or is that what cruise control is for?
rcase13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcase13 View Post
I have a 2013 Redhawk 26XS and will be making this fix tomorrow. I will post pics as well in case they have changed something with the new models.

LOL you can imagine my surprise when the TV shut off on me. I thought I broke something! I am comimg from a travel trailer and am not familiar with invertors and generators. I have an electronics degree that I haven't used in 15 years. Time to put it to work!

The sad thing is the TV is no where near where I can watch it... Or is that what cruise control is for?
look forward to the pictures, in case there have been some changes !!!

Rick
Old 02-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Or is that what cruise control is for?
It's better just to use that when making lunch!
Old 02-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #15

Ok I took the outlet apart and nothing has changed so I didn't take any pictures. The relay is still glued to the back of the outlet. There are black, white and red wires going into the relay. I snipped the red and taped them up. One project down. Thanks for all the help! My son is a happy camper now.
rcase13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Ok I took the outlet apart and nothing has changed so I didn't take any pictures. The relay is still glued to the back of the outlet. There are black, white and red wires going into the relay. I snipped the red and taped them up. One project down. Thanks for all the help! My son is a happy camper now.

Hey,
Just now wanting to make this change on my 2013 Melbourne. I really don't understand the written description under the photo above, sorry!! I think I could 'just snip the red wire and tape it up'. Is that really all there is to it?. Appreciate any help to get my TV going while my hubby does the driving .
Emily7271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily7271 View Post
I think I could 'just snip the red wire and tape it up'. Is that really all there is to it?. Appreciate any help to get my TV going while my hubby does the driving .
That's the fact Jack!!!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kave&Lucky View Post
That's the fact Jack!!!

Many thanks!
Emily7271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #19

watching tv while driving

you can also just use the generator while driving and the tv will work the only thing you may use a little more fuel .
Karl06greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #20

It *shouldnt* work that way. The relay should cut power to the outlet regardless of on inverter or generator power.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote