Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2017, 08:05 AM   #1

Upgrading TV in Seneca 37FS

I'm looking at possibly going from the 32" on the swing arm to something a bit larger. Realistically, I'm betting that a 40-49" is all that I am going to be able to squeeze into the space. Has anyone already done this, if so, any recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2017, 08:44 PM   #2

I put a 40" Samsung up front on my Seneca. Had to make an adapter bracket out of thin-wall square steel tubing since I had to shift the larger TV up and to the right so it would clear the bedding, and also so the left upper corner of the TV would clear the front cap radius when the TV is stowed.

I can snap a few pictures tomorrow, I have my unit here at home prepping it for our New England departure Friday.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:07 PM   #3

Is sure appreciate it! Thanks!!
Old 06-28-2017, 06:20 AM   #4

Here are some pictures and a better explanation. Hope it helps!

The TV is a "Smart" Samsung 40" LED, it had the narrowest bezel I could find at the time I obtained it. That gave me the largest screen in the smallest overall dimensions. A wider screen would have been even better, but then the height also grows. With the mattress pad and Travasack we have on the bunk we could not go taller.

I used 1" steel thin-walled square tubing to fabricate two (2) adapter brackets. The brackets have 1/4" carriage bolts inserted and tack welded through the tubing to facilitate mounting to the Seneca's motorized TV mount. There are three (3) because one of the mounting points actually goes thru both the swivel mount, adapter bracket, and into the TV's mounting hole on that corner. I found black plastic end caps on Amazon to plug the ends of the steel tubing to give it a more "finished" appearance. I also painted the adapters black before installing.

Socket head metric screws go thru the adapter brackets into the TV's VESA mounting holes. You have to be very careful on the length of those screws, the TV's literature will tell you the maximum distance they can be inserted to prevent damage. Obviously the screws also have to be the correct diameter and pitch to fit the threaded inserts in the TV. Between the TV itself and the adapter brackets are the Samsung-supplied spacers that provide clearance for the heads of the carriage bolts in the brackets. The TV mounting screw lengths have to account for those spacers also.

I had to be very careful on how the TV was ultimately mounted to ensure it:
Wasn't so high that it hit the overhead cabinet;
Was positioned right-to-left properly so it cleared the radius of the front
cap when stowed;
That it did not catch on the cabinet wall on the right side as it motors around to the fully extended position. It is very close there now, it sort of "wraps around" the corner in its travel arc. Don't have your fingers in there or they will get caught. It is tight!

If I can answer any other questions just shout them out!
Attached Thumbnails
Back of TV.jpg   Another TV rear view.jpg   TV end view when stowed.jpg   TV when fully extended.jpg   TV when stowed.jpg  

Old 06-28-2017, 07:27 AM   #5

Outstanding! I believe I will look into doing something similar! If my wife had it her way, we would have a 65+" up front, but I believe just going up to the 40 will be a vast improvement.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:40 AM   #6

Our original Continu-us 32" TV was terrible, the Samsung Smart TV is so much nicer. We can wirelessly cast our phones or my Sony digital SLR camera to the Samsung to quickly review pictures and videos to see how they look after a day of adventures. Even been at a few campgrounds with strong WiFi such that we have been able to stream Netflix or Amazon movies!

My only complaint is still the sound; the Samsung's speakers are better than the original TV's but still not up to my amateur audiophile standards! I can still play this TV's audio through the cab stereo, and hear it on the coach overhead speakers, but it's not like my system at home. After our New England trip I am going to research a sound bar and figure out where I want to place it.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:59 AM   #7

I can completely sympathize regarding the sound issue. I have built an all Cerwin Vega 7.1 system at home with with 12" mains and 5-1/4" mids running a little over 2500watts. -Coming from that to the 32" with over-driven headphones for speakers... Well, let's just say that I'm glad I like camping for the beauty of nature!!

Not sure on your tastes, but I have been considering adding a Klipsch sound bar. They have several different models with different price points. Their quality is much better than some of the other brands and their sound is solid.

If I were to do something like that, I might look into fabricating a bracket that would allow me to hook the sound bar to the ladder bracket on the bed and perhaps try to secure the subwoofer behind the chair on our 37FS.

Somebody better hide the checkbook!!!!
Old 06-28-2017, 10:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I can still play this TV's audio through the cab stereo, and hear it on the coach overhead speakers.
I have yet figured out how to do that with our Jensen JRV215N dash unit which I presume you also have. Is there a thread on that?
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:01 AM   #9

Unless Robby has upgraded his, the '14 models came with a Clarion head unit. Which are........ different.

Behold a screen I was able to 'find' after messing with mine a bit, too hard trying to tweak some things.

-After speaking to Clarion's tech support, his response was "You shouldn't be able to see that"...
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0604.jpg  
Old 06-28-2017, 11:33 AM   #10

television in FS

Our TV died while camping (Continuos 32") and made a Best Buy trip for a TV. It was raining and needed the distraction. Best bad luck I've ever had. Got a Roku-enabled 32" for $90 and could not be happier. Hotspot from our phone for Netflix or Amazon anywhere. I added an articulated arm that enables the TV to parallel-face the sofa or dining table. It pulls the TV out a couple inches, but makes he viewing angle MUCH better. It comes with a chain to pull to unlock, swing the electric arm out to max and swing the second arm to angle. Really stout and well supported underway.
MORryde TV1-025H Extending Swivel TV Wall Mount - Small
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis02 View Post
Unless Robby has upgraded his, the '14 models came with a Clarion head unit. Which are........ different.
I just have to select my "Aux" input and it will play the audio from the bunk TV. I can also send the video from the cab in-dash DVD player to the TV, but I seldom do that since I have a Blu-Ray player connected directly to the bunk TV.

Regarding my dash unit - as a matter of fact I did upgrade my head unit from the stock Clarion NX501. I had installed Sirius satellite radio early on, last year the Sirius and the Navigation quit working much of the time. Talked to Clarion and they suspected a bad circuit board, but the unit was outside of its 1-year Clarion warranty so they wouldn't 100% replace it. I could have gone back to Jayco and had it replaced since I was still in my 2-year warranty, but Clarion gave me a "goodwill credit" which I applied to the cost of a new Clarion NX706. The NX706 has a much more user-friendly interface, a larger motorized touchscreen, a HDMI input I have connected to my dashcam for playback viewing, digital output if I ever wanted to seriously upgrade the audio, and a sound input for the rear (backup) camera. Not sure if the newer Senecas still have a camera with a microphone, but mine does. It just was never connected since the original Clarion did not have an input for it. But the NX706 does, so now I can hear audio from the camera when I am in reverse. So not only can I see my wife waving, I can hear her too when she yells "Stop"! There were a few more steps needed to make that function, but it is nice to have.

I also installed Alpine dash speakers in the cab and an Alpine subwoofer under the cab passenger seat. Doesn't help with the TV since we have a drape between the cab and coach when set up, but sure fills in the bass listening to the Sirius or CD's cruising down the highway!
Old 07-01-2017, 06:28 AM   #12

Rob, impressive work!
Mr Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
Rob, impressive work!
Thank you!