Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #1

Use of the BAL Hide-A-Spare

Has anyone here used the spare tire unit called "BAL Hide-A-Spare".

Some time ago I looked under the Greyhawk MV and noticed a very large vacant area between the rear frames behind the rear wheels. More than enough area to hide a spare tire.

I noticed the BAL unit specifies "Not for motorhomes". I looked at this unit hard and wonder "why not" ...???

Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:32 AM   #2

I too am interested in carrying a spare under my 2017 MV. I read somewhere that the issue might be a clearance problem from the outside of the motorhome frame ,like if there is a baggage compartment in the way....I really hope there is enough room under there to get the spare high enough for ground clearance.The fresh water tank may be in the way to get the spare high enough not to cause ground clearance issues.In my opinion the unit should be strong enough to carry the weight.Have to get out and do some measuring....
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:38 AM   #3

I installed the Hide-A-Spare on my Aframe camper and it works great. I had to call Bal to make sure I could cut the tubes since my trailer was narrower than the specs showed, they said no problem. At first I was going to use a tire hoist with the cable like under the pickup truck which would have worked fine but the Hide-A-Spare worked out better. Not sure how much a MH tire/wheel weighs but the weight limit is 100#. They have different mounting brackets depending on what type of frame you have, Box, C, I, the pivot side bracket has to hang down below the frame about an inch minimum, the final height will depend on how wide the tire is and how far up between the frame rails you can place the tire. I mounted mine up front under the toy hauler deck and have 19" of clearance tire to ground.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:26 AM   #4

I looked at BAL Spare tire rack and it appeared I have to do lots of mods to it to get it to work on my 2016 Greyhawk 31FS. I decided to build one myself. If you're handy, 4 cross pieces of steel, and an aftermarket winch:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/me...lbums1141.html
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:19 AM   #5

Not for Motorhome

Disregard my comment... you already knew that... My fault for only reading the banner

Unless something has changed... The BAL states on it's website... Not for use on Motorhomes! I suspect the tire is to heavy for it's design.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:35 AM   #6

I saw how you mounted your spare and you must be commended on such a good job.With that said,i think where the fresh water tank is mounted on my MV may be different than your unit.I have worked all my life in a metal shop and I have the skills to fab something like what you did but I am afraid the spare will not go high enough between the rear bumper and the f.w. tank. I will have to get under and take a good look and get some measurements.I dont like not having a spare,and the outside storage on the MV is limited.
The last resort would be a bumper mounted carrier.
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:52 AM   #7

jerhard. Is there more that holds the spare on other than that cable? Which do you think is the weak link, the cable or the gears in the winch?
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky46 View Post
jerhard. Is there more that holds the spare on other than that cable? Which do you think is the weak link, the cable or the gears in the winch?
Hi Bluesky46, This is a heavy duty winch, as heavy or heavier than my factory Chevrolet Dually spare tire winch and cable. None of the things you mention seem to be weak links with this winch.

Hope this helps!
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote