Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2017, 07:20 PM   #1

Valve Stem Extenders & TMPS

We have a Redhawk with the factory installed inner dual extenders and the TST 507 TMPS. The driver side sensor reads the pressure just fine but the passenger side either reads nothing or 5psi. I've tried changing the sensors around among other things with no success to get it to work. That particular extender is also more difficult to get air into.

I can't decide if I want to get new extenders or ditch them entirely and just put the sensor straight onto the valve stem.

What configuration have you had good luck with? If you've used extenders do you have any brands you could recommend.

Thank you!
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:55 PM   #2

I use 135 degree Wheelmaster valve extenders on my outside duals and my 507s work fine. Go with the Wheelmaster extenders as I went with cheaper ones that immediately ended up in the trash.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:25 PM   #3

I had one valve extender that acted the same way inside extender was a rubber liner it had collapsed
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #4

I have found that sometimes the valve stem gets run too far into the tire valve so try taking a tool and backing out the valve stem 1 turn if that don't work try 2 turns.. and see if that helps...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #5

As I got the flow thru valves, I had to remove the fancy hubcaps. Also I removed the valve extenders. 30,000 miles later, and I still like these.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:36 PM   #6

I asked my tire dealer about removing those tire extenders completely.
He said they are needed because of the high tire pressure (75 lbs front / 80 lbs rear) of the RV tires.

Without the extenders, there is a possibility of tire valve failure.

SO, I left mine on.

Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:33 AM   #7

My TST flow through sensors did not work with the valve extenders at all. All wheels have steel valve stems, and the flow through sensors are nearly as long as the extenders. I can reach them with no problem.

Without the flow through sensors, the inner valve stems would be nearly impossible to get to.

The passenger inner is the one that gets the hottest, which is a lead indicator for tire failure. The exhaust runs down the passenger side of the chassis causing more heat on that tire. Got stuck in traffic in Atlanta during the summer and my tire temp rose to over 130f, and I decided it was time for us to take a break... We made lunch and let the tires cool off.

As to what your tire guy said, the outer tire doesn't have an extender, so I am thinking his reasoning might be flawed or he was answering a different question that he thought he heard.

Your cold psi quickly rises once you roll. Cold front tires at 75 quickly get to over 80 and the rears quickly get to over 90 in nominal conditions. What I have begun doing lately (last 10,000 or so) is running the inner duallies a couple pounds less when cold. Once rolling they quickly equalize with the outer tires and has less thermal load than normal.

I have over 30,000 miles with this configuration over the last 18 months.
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
Old 01-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #8

Thank you for the info.. This is exactly what I wanted to do but hadn't found anyone to validate my theory.

I'll order a set of flow through sensors for the inner duals and remove the extenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB View Post
My TST flow through sensors did not work with the valve extenders at all. All wheels have steel valve stems, and the flow through sensors are nearly as long as the extenders. I can reach them with no problem.

Without the flow through sensors, the inner valve stems would be nearly impossible to get to.

The passenger inner is the one that gets the hottest, which is a lead indicator for tire failure. The exhaust runs down the passenger side of the chassis causing more heat on that tire. Got stuck in traffic in Atlanta during the summer and my tire temp rose to over 130f, and I decided it was time for us to take a break... We made lunch and let the tires cool off.

As to what your tire guy said, the outer tire doesn't have an extender, so I am thinking his reasoning might be flawed or he was answering a different question that he thought he heard.

Your cold psi quickly rises once you roll. Cold front tires at 75 quickly get to over 80 and the rears quickly get to over 90 in nominal conditions. What I have begun doing lately (last 10,000 or so) is running the inner duallies a couple pounds less when cold. Once rolling they quickly equalize with the outer tires and has less thermal load than normal.

2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:29 PM   #9

Quote:

Hi Carl ..... All six of my tries on my '16 Greyhawk MV came with a valve extender .....
Old 01-24-2017, 11:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
Hi Carl ..... All six of my tries on my '16 Greyhawk MV came with a valve extender .....
That is just plain odd. My 2015 only had one pair of valve extenders. Do you have rubber valve stems? All the valve stems are metal on mine.

If you don't have metal valve stems, you should get them if you are wanting to run the flow through sensors. The non flow through sensors might be good to go with the rubber valve stems.
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
Old 01-25-2017, 10:45 AM   #11

Quote:
That is just plain odd. My 2015 only had one pair of valve extenders. Do you have rubber valve stems? All the valve stems are metal on mine.

If you don't have metal valve stems, you should get them if you are wanting to run the flow through sensors. The non flow through sensors might be good to go with the rubber valve stems.

Yes all six tire air valves on my '16 Greyhawk are metal air valves, and yes all six valve have that (about two inch) air valve extender....!!!

Old 01-26-2017, 05:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Yes all six tire air valves on my '16 Greyhawk are metal air valves, and yes all six valve have that (about two inch) air valve extender....!!!

I have the same on mine

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #13

Quote:
I asked my tire dealer about removing those tire extenders completely.
He said they are needed because of the high tire pressure (75 lbs front / 80 lbs rear) of the RV tires.

Without the extenders, there is a possibility of tire valve failure.

SO, I left mine on.

I'd find a new tire dealer... You NEED metal valve stems with tire pressures that high but the valve extenders are there merely for convenience.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
I'd find a new tire dealer... You NEED metal valve stems with tire pressures that high but the valve extenders are there merely for convenience.
I already have metal tire air valves in addition to those 2" metal extenders. Better safe than sorry.