Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #1

Valve Stems

My wife and I recently purchased our new 2015 Jayco Precept 35UN and we are loving it! However we did find one area of concern and that was how to check the air pressur on the rear dual tires. The valve stems do not extend out from behind the outer rims. Has anyone encountered this and what did you do?
drooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:12 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new Precept.

I'm not sure of your vehicle (and can't tell from the online photos), but usually there is a series of openings in the outer rim. One of those openings should line up with the inner tire valve stem.

If that is the way yours are, you'll need an extended tire pressure gauge to reach the inner valve stem. An extended metal end for the air hose will also been needed to inflate the inner tires.

If none of that makes sense, a trip to your dealer or to Discount Tire should help. Of course someone with a unit like yours may be out here somewhere.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:42 PM   #3

I really wished it was that simple. I would have thought that the inner stems would have lined up with the outer rim holes but they do not. Now I'm hearing a lot of negative comments concerning valve extenders. Any help would be appreciated.
drooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drooker View Post
I really wished it was that simple. I would have thought that the inner stems would have lined up with the outer rim holes but they do not. Now I'm hearing a lot of negative comments concerning valve extenders. Any help would be appreciated.
'For every problem, there is a solution that is quick, simple,
and wrong!' Sorry I couldn't help.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:45 PM   #5

If you go to a commercial truck tire/front end shop, they can dismount the tire and replace the valve stems with new longer ones bent just into the right place. It's a costly thing to do, but tire inflation is super important, especially the inner tires. It is worth the money to easily check pressure and not have to worry about a crummy add on extender leaking. I did it on my 31FS Greyhawk. Now checking pressures takes a few minutes.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:10 PM   #6

We purchased a set of valve extenders at an RV show. They worked fine and we never had a problem.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:00 PM   #7

Try this
Haltec_zmags

The FE300 is the ones that I used on the inside tires and also looped them on the outer tires to make it easier to air up

Also check out
Pacific Dualies
Quality Truck parts and accessories - Pacific Dualies

Chuck
Old 03-05-2015, 07:06 PM   #8

Camping World

135 Degree Valve Extenders - Wheel Masters 8029135 - Wheel Accessories - Camping World

Dual Tire Inflators - Hub Mount Stainless Steel - 2 Hose Kit for 16"-19.5" Wheels - Wheel Masters 8002 - Wheel Accessories - Camping World

Chuck
Old 03-05-2015, 09:17 PM   #9

yeah my dually has braided stainless extenders and clips to hold them on the outer wheel
Old 03-06-2015, 07:11 AM   #10

My 2015 Redhawk came with valve extenders from the factory. Check with dealer and see if they might have been left off.
bigdaddyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:09 AM   #11

Drooker............welcome and CONGRATULATIONS. Great to have you on board with the Precept. We also had difficulty accessing the valve stems. Our Jayco dealer installed 135 degree extenders on the outside tires and braided steel extenders on the inside tires. Now I can check air pressure on the duals as easily as I can the fronts.
I have a super dealer............they didn't charge me for this...........they felt it was a safety item............I do too.
Keep in touch, this is a great forum, with great people and great info.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #12

most jayco units have inner extenders installed from the factory, the outer tires are always a problem, usually pop the hub cap and put on angled extender on it works great, i actually carry 2 traded extenders that i can screw on, always had trouble with my ford truck because the valves were recessed in the mag wheels
walkingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #13

Congrats on the 35un.
I recently bought the 35UP and had the dealer put extenders on mine as well.
Be sure to join the Precept Owners Group if you haven't already so we can figure it all out together...
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/gr...%27+group.html

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:31 AM   #14

My Greyhawk came with valve extenders for the inner wheels but it was the outer wheel stems I could not reach because the stems pointed inward toward the inner wheel. A tire repair shop showed me how to remove the wheel liner using a tire puller/mallet then use a dual foot tire gauge to check the pressure and use a dual foot air chuck to add air with my air compressor.
kevin5203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5203 View Post
My Greyhawk came with valve extenders for the inner wheels but it was the outer wheel stems I could not reach because the stems pointed inward toward the inner wheel. A tire repair shop showed me how to remove the wheel liner using a tire puller/mallet then use a dual foot tire gauge to check the pressure and use a dual foot air chuck to add air with my air compressor.
The wheel liners on the Precept are easily removable with 2 lugs being removed with a T-wrench that came with my unit. I wanted a quick and easy way to check the pressure. Thus, I had the extenders installed. I don't have to remove the liners now.....quick and easy.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #16

I had the same concern with my Precept 31UL I had valve extenders added to the rear tire valves that I couldn't reach and now I have peace of mind. Agree that it doesn't make sense you can't reach, but this solved the problem for a reasonable price (extenders plus labor to install).
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:55 AM   #17

The valve extenders on the inner duals work for me except with the TPMS system which uses screw on sensors on the valve stems. The screw on sensors work on regular valve stems but do not work on the valve extenders. The TPMS tech support told me to adjust the valve core on the extenders with a tire valve tool. I am reluctant to do this fearing I will cause a slow air leak. Anyone else have this problem?
kevin5203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:59 PM   #18

What cbss said. 135 degree Wheel Masters (I got burned with an off brand) or the double shoe inflator. For the inside duallies, I've been using the braided extensions for 10 years with no problem but your experience could vary.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:20 PM   #19
WDW

I had the Borg brass extenders with the rubber spacer installed today. Hopefully this will prove to be a great investment!

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote