Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2015, 05:15 PM   #101

Sorry to jump in, but I used the leveling jacks on the RV. Did both on one side evenly, then the other side. If you don't have them I would recommend a couple of heavy duty hydrolick jacks on the frame before and after the tires.

MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:43 PM   #102

Did Mine Today

2014 Greyhawk 31 Ds
Was not as hard as I thought. First nut I took off (the bottom one) stripped and I had to cut the U-bolt to get it off. Just had to cut an inch off no problem. I did use a c-clamp when I thought the nut was turning hard c-clamp worked great may not have been needed but was afraid of stripping the U-bolt. I used the jacks to raise each side to take weight off.
On the pass side where exhaust pipe come out the U-bolt hit the exhaust pipe when that side was jacked up. I cut an inch or two off the U-bolt so it did not hit the exhaust pipe.
I put the right at 2" and the left at 1.75". The left side has both slides and a loaded fridge. Don't know if that was smart but that's what I did. Was not sure to go 1" or 2" will continue to monitor this thread.
Thanks to all who have posted here.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1398.jpg   IMG_1399.jpg   IMG_1400.jpg   IMG_1401.jpg  

bustrbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:18 AM   #103

Just to clarify, I have the 31 FS model. The U-bolts were adjusted to 2 inches all around as MadDad and others have suggested and based upon their test rides after this procedure was done. No bolts were removed. Tighten up (clockwise) on one side slightly and slowly and then on the other (same U-bolt) slightly and slowly. I always followed up immediately with the security/locking bolt as I did not put much faith in the threads as two bolts are better than one on the same bolt. Did not use an air-gun as I was concerned about stripping these bolt threads and they turned with just slight resistance using my 7/8" ratcheting tool. The bolt threads still appeared brand new and if there was evidence of any corrosion there I would have probably taken this to a shop and paid out the money. Finally, I took the added safety precaution of placing heavy duty jack stands under the frame. This because each side had to be raised up as described in previous posts.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #104

Thumbs up

Don't know how to show two thumbs up, but good job!! Oh, there's an emoticon for that.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #105

Thanks to MadDad for suggestions. Did adjustment today. Haven't taken out to interstate to test yet. C Clamp, levelers, and 7/8" wrench all a must. The 2nd nut was cinched down tightly and was a "bugger". Used a 15" adjustable crescent wrench with a mallet finally to break seal. Pics attached.

Dlivrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:08 AM   #106

I adjusted mine myself as well. I had two u bolts that were stripped out. I called hellwig and they said they were getting a lot of calls on this and sent me newu bolts. Only problem was they did not send thenuts . I had run all over town to find the right ones.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:44 AM   #107
WDW

Wonderful to hear they are getting lots of calls. Apparently that is the only way folks can encourage responsible behavior and step forward to address or dismiss the issue. It's sad that's how things roll.

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:25 AM   #108

Thanks msturtz!!! I was able to get the nuts to break free, without stripping fortunately. While doing the adjustment on the helper springs I came to realize 2 things. First Mor-Ryde doesnt know what the final weight of the chassis is going to be so best to leave them locked down on a light setting then have a really harsh ride. Second has anyone had to cut the inside Ubolt to clear the rear sway bar? My unit they are both with in 1/4 in, which i think is a bit close for moving suspension pieces.
fam cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by fam cruiser View Post
Thanks msturtz!!! I was able to get the nuts to break free, without stripping fortunately. While doing the adjustment on the helper springs I came to realize 2 things. First Mor-Ryde doesnt know what the final weight of the chassis is going to be so best to leave them locked down on a light setting then have a really harsh ride. Second has anyone had to cut the inside Ubolt to clear the rear sway bar? My unit they are both with in 1/4 in, which i think is a bit close for moving suspension pieces.
Well somebody DOES know what the final weight of the chassis is going to be. Maybe Mor-Ryde needs to talk things over with the somebody who DOES know so that you won't have to cut U-bolts.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:22 AM   #110

I adjusted mine yesterday as well. Wasn't too bad however I did notice that the end of the bolt connecting the rear spring to the chassis is rubbing a hole in my black tank! It's so tight I couldn't get a tape measure blade between them!

landinj is offline   Reply With Quote