Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2016, 06:31 PM   #201

Just did 6 hours round trip w/ my springs adjusted. I am quite pleased w/ the results. Well worth the effort.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:49 AM   #202

Dealer refused to fix

So just came from my dealer. I had gone there armed with info from this forum and photos of my springs set at 4". I have had the rig for 1 year and had 2 alignments done (At Jayco's expense). The front end still feels loose and I often have to over steer just to keep it in the lane.

The springs seem like a logical next step with the alignments having not fixed the driving issues. The dealer claims they called Jayco, who told them that the springs are properly adjusted! The dealer did not do the work!

Guess I am left with trying to do it myself. I am about done with my dealer. Once the warranty is up I hope to never have to go back to them again.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:10 AM   #203

Griswald, did you have the caster checked? We too had this fixed at time of alignment (this Spring) and feel this was a contributing factor to our over-steering issues. Wind/trucks still can be somewhat problematic, but on straight highway driving at speed (on a decent road), virtually no over-steering now.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/ind...?topic=40337.0

Since Jayco said they would foot the bill, we went to a local truck garage that has all the heavy duty equipment for alignments and alike. They advertise RV alignments of all sizes (class A, B & Cs). Did the alignment, caster adj, and Hellwig adjustment. Even adjusted front headlights as needed.
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:51 AM   #204

Call to Jayco

Perhaps before I do the work my first call should be to Jayco... I know others have mentioned a specific contact for the Motorhome division... Does anyone have the phone or email for them?

Old 06-04-2016, 03:04 PM   #205

If you have a good local mechanic I would do this. Call Jaycos main number and tell them you have a motorhome warranty issue and they will transfer you where you need to go. Then i would explain your issue with the dealer and ask if you can bring it to a local garage and be reimbursed. Pay the garage then submit the bill to Jayco and cut out the dealer completly.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #206

I just returned from a 500 mile trip and found I lost my Cadillac ride . Way to firm for me. I've readjusted them to 3 1/2. See what it rides like next week
moonraker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:51 PM   #207

Prior to adjusting my Hellwig springs on my 2016 Redhawk 26XD to the Hellwig factory recommended two inches my front axle weighed in at 2682, rear 8929 lbs. after completing the adjustment front axle weighed exactly the same, 2682 rear 8907 lbs. (the 22 lb. discrepancy on rear axle would have been from fuel burned driving back and forth to scales). This exercise was to prove my hypotheses voiced by others on a previous thread. There is no weight transfer!
On a lighter note. The improvement in ride and handling both in city and freeway driving was felt immediately, the ride was more solid with less lean or sway on cornering and appeared to have tighter steering. A treat to drive. I expected a slightly harsher drive on rough roads but did not notice any appreciable difference.
Another positive, the rear bumper was raised by 1 inch (every little bit counts). Front end down by ¼”.
I would like to thank all who contributed to this thread, your input gave me the confidence to complete this mod myself. Thanks to Jopopsy’s procedure post total time to complete, a little over two hours. The hardest part was getting this 78 year old body up off the ground when finished. Now on to my own oil change.
Thanks again
Gerry
brandysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:33 AM   #208

brandysdad, thanks for the update. Since there is no rear-to-front weight transfer I can try the adjustment on our 31FK. Good news too about the extra 1" of clearance in the rear. At least if we drag the hitch or a Bigfoot leveler again, they won't hit as hard next time.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #209

Yesterday I brought home a 2017 grayhawk, how much will all this apply to the new ones?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
dgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #210

This is determined by you and/or your dealer on what the differences are from the previous years. If the same as previous years and there are Hellwig springs spaced at more than 2" then you will find this thread helpful. You should hope it is the same as previous years... other than a few complaints this is a very good MH and you will really enjoy owning it as I have. Congratulations and enjoy.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:59 PM   #211

Weight Distribution

Like Brandysdad... I took my rig to the scales recently. I was very surprised by the numbers. I was 5000 lbs on the front Axel and 9600 lbs on the rear. So I was maxed out on the front and overweight on the rears.

I did have 5 people and a Golden retriever on board so there was some extra weight between the axels. But I was astounded how high my weights were. That was fuel tanks full and 1/3 tank fresh water.

Knowing I was over on the rears I set to remove some weight and redistribute other items. My goal was to remove the weight from the back storage compartment and either take it off completely or redistribute it forward. Considering how far forward the rear wheels are and the fulcrum that creates with the rear storage compartment any weight moved should have a significant impact. I took about 150 lbs off the trailer and moved another 100lbs forward between the axels... The biggest item being my 100ft of 30amp extension cord.

What a huge difference. I immediately noticed an improvement in driving. I have done two trips since making the moves and the whole rig now feels significantly more grounded. It no longer wandered in the lane and steering input is vastly improved.

I may still look at the springs at some point. But following this experience I would encourage anyone experiencing similar problems to head to the scales and see if you need to reconsider some of your packing options.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:58 AM   #212

I've never delt with weighing b4. Do you deal with a human or computer? Will it automatically give you axil weight and what effect will your toad have on the weight?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
dgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:34 AM   #213

Your toad will have little to do with axle weight. The added weight to the axle will be the weight of the toad's hitch, even then your toad will share part of that hitch weight. Your concern should be the towing capacity of your unit. Hopes this helps.
brandysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:50 PM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
As alignments go, Jayco held true to their service, I was having serious steering issues with my '16 Greyhawk 29MV. I contacted Jayco, had my coach aligned, and received my check in the mail today ..... "Thank You Jayco" ....

No vibration issues ......

I realize this is an old thread but I Just bought a 2018 26xd used. Im curious if what you say about jayco holding true goes for 2nd owner also ? I'm going to adjust the helwigs before I take the fam out but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
Readytoroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:58 AM   #215

Just need to adjust the helper springs down to 2-3 inches between bottom of u-bolt saddle and top of spring pack, this will help in handling and sway.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:08 AM   #216
Site Team

The Jayco warranty does not apply to used units. Only the original buyer and not transferable.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:46 AM   #217

And the adjustment of the helper springs is not covered by warranty, they consider it customer responsibility depending on vehicle use and wanted to charge to adjust so i did it myself.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:40 AM   #218

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ory-78117.html

This post ( its a couple of pages back) goes into specific details on adjusting these springs. It was a huge help to me. After I adjusted the helper springs on
2020 26XD, I was very impressed with the improvement in the ride. My spring were at 4 1/2 inch in the front and 5 1/2 inches in the back. Adjusted them both to 2/1/2 ad suggested in the above post.
Old 10-29-2020, 01:02 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
So I went out and measured ours today and they would. To be be tween 3 1/2 and 4 inches spread on the shackle.
Cant say I'm necessarily enjoying this thread but it is informative.

OK I see most are Grayhawks here in this thread so I will ask about Redhawks with a GVW of 11K and GCVW of 22K.

Both of my springs are at 4" front & rear and on both sides. I didn't see any possibility of the Hellwig helpers causing a problem with any other piping or tank.

I did check with the Redhawk leveled on their levelers. I don't plan to do anything since every nut is locked with a second one and all four shackles are set to the same height.

Time will tell if I'm wrong. Ride over last 7K miles has been great.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:50 PM   #220
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by msherw View Post

OK I see most are Grayhawks here in this thread so I will ask about Redhawks with a GVW of 11K and GCVW of 22K.

Both of my springs are at 4" front & rear and on both sides. I didn't see any possibility of the Hellwig helpers causing a problem with any other piping or tank.
I cranked mine down to 2-1/2"... any extra stability is worth it. This is one of the FREE adjustments that can be done. Everything else requires buying replacement parts.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote