Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2016, 10:01 AM   #171

Yes specially with the safety issue being possible loss of control of vehicle . Someone is going to be injured if not killed.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:07 AM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
At this point it would really be great to have a sticky on the first post of this thread detailing what folks need to do, instead of reading through 17 pages of comments. Maybe a mod will throw this up front if it's accurate. If its not accurate, can somebody help me make it more accurate?

The steps as I understand it:

1. Block the back tires of the side you are NOT working on. Raise the side of the coach your ARE working on w/ your levelers so that the rear tire is grazing the pavement.
You pretty much nailed it. Only things I could add would to be: cut a block of wood and put it between the springs to act as an indicator and to get all at the right space, and 2 don't do it when it is 30 deg out like I did, burrrrr.

MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:18 AM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDad View Post
You pretty much nailed it. Only things I could add would to be: cut a block of wood and put it between the springs to act as an indicator and to get all at the right space, and 2 don't do it when it is 30 deg out like I did, burrrrr.
Are the levelers down on the side you're NOT working on? As you shift the weight off the one side you ARE working on, are you letting the wheels/tires support the load on their own?

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:33 PM   #174

Quote:
Are the levelers down on the side you're NOT working on? As you shift the weight off the one side you ARE working on, are you letting the wheels/tires support the load on their own?
I just put down the ones on the side I was working on. Seemed to work just fine.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:24 AM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
Jayco incorrectly installed the Hellwig helper springs on many Greyhawk motorhomes with the "J-Ride" package. The Redhawk brand may also be affected. If you own a Greyhawk or Redhawk motorhome I strongly suggest you inspect your Hellwig springs adjustment. I have attached photos of an incorrectly adjusted spring and a correctly adjusted spring. If the springs are not correctly adjusted the spring shackle can fail due to the bolts stripping the threads. This can cause loss of vehicle control and or death. Given the weight of the unit the Hellwig helper springs should be adjusted so there is approximately 3/4" - 1" of distance to the factory springs.
Hello!

I was doing a bit of research on this to see what the proper adjustments might be. I actually looked at several youtube videos and downloaded the Hellwig PDF installation instructions and this is what I found. The end U-bolts should be adjusted where it's tight enough to not allow it to rattle around when driving but also, you can tighten it as much as you need to, up to a certain point, depending on your preference. Here is the youtube video:

I hope this clears things up a bit!

Cheers!

Olga.
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:13 PM   #176

I talked to both Jayco and Hellwig about the issue. What I found out is that the Hellwig springs are adjusted for an unloaded transport weight from the factory to the Dealership. It is expected that after any dealer add-ons, and the unit has full fuel, water, and propane, the dealer will re-adjust the springs for a delivery weight.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:58 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
I talked to both Jayco and Hellwig about the issue. What I found out is that the Hellwig springs are adjusted for an unloaded transport weight from the factory to the Dealership. It is expected that after any dealer add-ons, and the unit has full fuel, water, and propane, the dealer will re-adjust the springs for a delivery weight.
I understand that you spoke to Jayco but the installation of the Hellwig was made by MORryde. If there are after assembly adjustments to be made, per Hellwig instructions, via MORryde, then this information needed to be addressed by instructing Jayco to return the units to them after assembly. I still hold onto what the instructions say for the Hellwigs, the installation instructions from the manufacturer. It's a matter of preference.... By the way, I test drove a 2016 Greyhawk ME with the Hellwigs installed by MORryde and the unit rode fine, I did not hear any clanking indicating the Hellwig was too loose, not adjusted properly. And years ago, my spouse and I installed Hellwig helper springs on our Blazer to help with the weight while towing our, then, travel trailer. The instructions are pretty clear cut, it's a matter of preference BUT I'd be careful not to tighten too much! Things can go bad quickly either way....

Cheers!

Olga.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #178

I emailed Hellwig via the web form. I put the weights of my rig as per the factory (including corner weights).

Kevin wrote back pretty quickly, and advised me to cinch them down to 2". Just like others have discovered.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:47 AM   #179

Quote:
I emailed Hellwig via the web form. I put the weights of my rig as per the factory (including corner weights).

Kevin wrote back pretty quickly, and advised me to cinch them down to 2". Just like others have discovered.
Jopopsy,

Do you have Kevin's contact information? If you do, please share it as I would like to contact him as well. If the Hellwig is not adjusted properly, then it's Hellwig's responsibility to make sure the installers are doing what they need to do....

Cheers!!

Olga.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazerandu View Post
Jopopsy,

Do you have Kevin's contact information? If you do, please share it as I would like to contact him as well. If the Hellwig is not adjusted properly, then it's Hellwig's responsibility to make sure the installers are doing what they need to do....

Cheers!!

Olga.
Use the Contact Us form on their website.