Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2014, 08:56 PM   #61

Right now not sure what I'm doing but depends what he thinks after reviewing this thread and considering my weights which I really don't have
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:21 PM   #62

It only affects the new (2014 and newer?) Greyhawk motor homes that Jayco installed the "J-Ride" package on. I got my information from the chief engineer at Hellwig, then the Hellwig dealer found that it had caused a failure. The shackle bolts were stripped out from the stress. There were numerous other failures on my unit that were not related to the suspension but all traceable back to poor installation quality. Ultimately Jayco fixed the problems with my unit. However I believe that Hellwig was told by Jayco brass firmly to not tell customers this type of information. It is sad when company takes the GM route. When the shackle finally breaks it could kill someone. From Jayco's perspective it could be out of warranty by then. The real problem is when the suspension goes through harsh road seams or pot holes. The shackles can become unloaded and rapidly reload.

I am posting on this forum because I care about my fellow RV owners. Kevin at Hellwig is correct in the amount of suspension support based on the adjustment however seems to be leaving out the rest of story from what I heard after the resolution of my issues. If the spring shackles are adjusted based on the GVWR of the rig it is impossible for the shackles to become completely unloaded during suspension cycling. Incidentally, Ford also looked at my rig when it was empty and noted the handling problems on their report.

Consider this scenario, you are driving your unit at or near the GVWR you hit a blind corner and at the same time there is an unavoidable pothole in the road. You hit the pothole and suddenly the outboard suspension fails because of the fatigue on the shackle due to the installation. Your rig flips over on its side. In the subsequent accident investigation they likely would never trace the accident back to an incorrect installation of the helper springs. The sad thing is the driver would be charged for driving "too fast for conditions" or some such nonsense. When really it was completely unavoidable due to the suspension failure.

Since it is very inexpensive to adjust them better safe that sorry. At minimum you will improve the handling and ride and reduce the likelihood of bottoming out on driveways etc. It is very sad that Jayco is muzzling the supplier. If you combine this with the incorrectly installed leveling jacks 4" - 5" clearance rather than 7" - 8" clearance per the installation manual. This isn't the only thing Jayco / Mor-Ryde installed incorrectly.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:40 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric6A View Post
Is the problem isolated to recent years, or does it extend over 10-20 years? In other words, why are we just now becoming aware of it? I've searched the forum for 24SS problems like this, and find nothing. Did Hellwig or Jayco tell you anything about the scope of the problem? Or is it totally random?
I would seriously doubt the 24SS would have any of these problems because it is such a short coach. As far as I know it is still on an E-450 14,500# chassis meaning it would be very unlikely to be at or near the GVWR.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:51 AM   #64

Well, after much searching trying to find a Hellwig certified dealer within a day's driving distance... no luck. A truck suspension mechanic said that he "could" do it, but he isn't authorized by Hellwig, and didn't want to do it while the unit is under warranty. So, I'll just have to go slow and avoid uneven road surfaces.

And just to note, everyone who has looked at it agreed that it was not properly adjusted for a loaded unit, and has the potential to be dangerous.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #65

OK visited my mechanic with postings from this forum conclusion was to leave it. I'm 3.5 inches without firewood double nutted at ends I'll bring him photos this spring with camping weight buy he thinks one or two inches is tight. Anyway I said hour would have final say. Keep me in your prayers.
.mark
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #66

I got a chance to check mine out and discovered the helper spring is rubbing through a water line and the gap is more thsn 4" i probaly eont get a chance to do anything until after the holidays. Im tryong to attach pics hope its works. Also thanks for pistong this i probaly would have never checked.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:11 PM   #67

The water line
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #68

Greyhawk01, have you sent those photos to Jayco?

Looks like we all need to check the water lines, having those helper springs misadjusted apparently can cause more problems then we knew.

Thanks for the info!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 12-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #69

While crawling beneath mine today with a can of spray foam looking for openings to fill, I note that my Hellwig shackles do not appear to be tight enough. However I did make sure they are not rubbing on any water or electrical lines.

We bought our Greyhawk in August from our local Jayco dealer. We've planned to put it in their service department in the off-season for items noted during the PDI and on trips this Fall. I emailed them my work list last week, added a link to this thread and said, "Please verify with Jayco and/or Hellwig that the helper springs on the Greyhawk are adjusted to the proper heights for maximum load support." We'll see what comes of that. We are scheduled to drop it off on January 10th.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #70

I have mine in storage so im gonna wait till after the holidays before i do anything with it.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:04 PM   #71

I'm surprised with all the info that there is still no definitive data on what the gap should be. The instructions only state to adjust from full open to a 1/4". Most of the Greyhawks seem to have them adjusted to remove the slack and that's it.

I'm still waiting to drive mine after I adjusted it but that won't be till Dec 20.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:49 AM   #72

Just another of many problems with my low quality Greyhawk. The issues never end.
bcpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #73

Hi all,

Has anyone else had an issue with the helper springs bolts hitting the water lines? I'm going to get under there and check mine as soon as the weather warms up a bit.

Thanks!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 12-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #74

So I finally got a chance to drive the rig after tightening the u bolts. Drove from Perdido Key to Panama City. The ride seemed better than before, less thumping over bumps and a smoother ride. Wind seemed to be less of an issue and was correcting less. Not much of a test but happy with the effort.

Will have a longer drive in Feb.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Old 12-26-2014, 10:36 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by reitrof View Post
So I finally got a chance to drive the rig after tightening the u bolts. Drove from Perdido Key to Panama City. The ride seemed better than before, less thumping over bumps and a smoother ride. Wind seemed to be less of an issue and was correcting less. Not much of a test but happy with the effort.

Will have a longer drive in Feb.
So how much did you adjust them?
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:01 PM   #76

I can't remember but I posted my changes earlier in this thread.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Old 12-29-2014, 01:33 PM   #77

What about the shackles in the front of the tires? Are they supposed to be the same 3/4" to 1"? I just checked mine and none of them are within the standard or the same adjustment. Thanks
driwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:22 PM   #78

Mine weren't either. I adjusted both front and rear to the same gap.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Old 01-11-2015, 12:23 PM   #79

Drove for 4 days, @ 2k miles with the gap adjusted to 2", and I got to say it made a big difference. Semi's still move you around but only about 1/2 as much. No wandering around at all, and the rode itself seems smoother. Now parked for 3 months in AZ for the winter. Gotta say the weather is a lot better than in IL. Friends and relatives are jealous.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:25 AM   #80

Has anyone had anymore input on this issue? Mine are way off also, and I don't want to head to Florida with it as unbalanced as it is. I can see now that having the helper springs properly adjusted would help a lot with the "wandering", by getting some of the weight back on the front end.

I can't find any Hellwig authorized repair stations anywhere near me, and no other shop that I've talked to want to do it while the MH is under warranty.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier