Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2015, 08:33 PM   #121

They are installed correctly, they are not adjusted for the extra weight. Call your dealer and see what they'll do or adjust it yourself.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #122

Just got our alignment done today. Jayco supplied the Hellwig Helper springs specs to the truck service company who did the alignment in the event the springs were no longer at specs. It was found that mine were still at Hellwig specifications as they are supplied to Jayco (they are at about 4"). The unit was a bit out of alignment and after completed the drive back home was much improved. I am happy with the handling now.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:28 AM   #123

Juliemike, what was the procedure you used to get this addressed? Did you call Jayco saying the handling was off on the road? Or did you talk to your dealer about this and they called Jayco? Mine is brand new and the few trips I have taken it is squirrelly and I told my wife that could get exhausting very quickly.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:01 AM   #124

CarlB, I was in the same boat as you. Had wandering in the front end that I had to constantly correct while going down the road. It also pulled right. My dealer thought that it was a Ford issue to correct. I called Jayco and spoke to someone in Customer service/Warranty (motorized units). He said that Jayco understands that the chassis comes to them aligned, but adding the coach can throw things off. With that in mind, Jayco will cover the cost of alignment during the first year of ownership on new units as a courtesy to the customer. The representative took all my information and authorized the work. They also authorized adjustment of the Hellwig Helper Springs if they were found to be out of Spec. They sent the specs to my dealer who emailed them to the truck service center. Since my dealer was not equipped to do the alignment, I had to find a truck service center that could do the work. My dealer agreed to pay for the alignment knowing they were going to be reimbursed by Jayco.

My dealer was surprised at this as they had never run into it. It pays to call Jayco and explain your issue. They have been very helpful.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:29 AM   #125

Something has changed over at Jayco. They refused an alignment on mine because we drove it 1600 miles from the dealership we purchased from back to our house. I explained that it drove terribly as soon as we got on the highway, but they claimed that we could've hit something along those 1600 miles and that's what probably caused my issues. Good to hear their customer service is turning around. To Jayco, "customer service" used to mean: fight everything until the customer gives up.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:51 AM   #126

Well I am going to see if this holds true. My dealer just gave me the run around with the stock answer of Jayco requiring the customer to pay for the alignment. I just used the online form to log a case asking to have the alignment looked at. Wish me luck.
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
Old 05-18-2015, 08:33 AM   #127

Well the good news, Jayco approved a one time alignment. Bad news Dealer is giving me the run around to get it done in a timely manner.

So I have to come out of pocket for the repair if I want to get it done before my Memorial Day trip. Then I submit for reimbursement.

Appt is on Wednesday and if what others are saying is true, it will be around $250 out of pocket.
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
Old 05-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #128

Align

Is it important to align the front end after adjusting the Helwig springs and why. To be totally correct on the alignment I think it should be done with the RV loaded for a trip.
bustrbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:31 AM   #129

So without taking any measurements, the service advisor tells me that he doesn't think its too bad... "its the long wheelbase that makes it harder to handle in the wind and I don't know if we can make it much better". Me, yeah go ahead and put the caster adjustments in, because others with same rig are reporting a marked improvement. Inside voice- i am paying for it now, but will be reimbursed...
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
Old 05-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #130

Carl i just had my alignment taken care of. I called Jayco first and got it approved then i called my Jayco dealer and let them know. Made the appointment with Ford and my dealer picked up the tab. The Jayco dealer gets reimbursed by Jayco. I never had to go to the rv dealer. Alll of that was done over the phone. No hassle at all Jayco and the dealer were all good about it. The Ford dealer i used was great the mechanic was very knowledgable about the alignment problem. He advised every rv manafacture has the same problem they add a lot of weight to the frame and dont align after.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:16 PM   #131

My RV dealership was steadfast in their lxk of desire to handle anything before my scheduled appointment, so I had to go directly to ford. It is resolved now and the ~20mile drive back to the storage area was much better. Lot less wandering and steering correction needed. Going to north Carolina this weekend, so that will be the true acid test.
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
Old 06-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #132

Had my helper springs adjusted yesterday to 2 1/2 inches. Huge difference driving. Noticed it immediately. Much more stable, less rocking !!!
2012 Jayco Skylark (SOLD)
adaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:56 AM   #133

Good. That is the true fix. I have experienced the same at 2". Gets so that you almost don't have to even steer. LOL
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:31 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Dan View Post
Good. That is the true fix. I have experienced the same at 2". Gets so that you almost don't have to even steer. LOL
X2
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #135

helwig

taking mine to the local truck dealer is it 2 inch front and rear, no problem but bottoms out and wanders all over the place
walkingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:00 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingeagle View Post
taking mine to the local truck dealer is it 2 inch front and rear, no problem but bottoms out and wanders all over the place
It is very easy to tighten up. I would do it with the weight off the axles.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:58 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
It is very easy to tighten up. I would do it with the weight off the axles.
Helliwig specifies that axles should be weighted when adjusting.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:08 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by reitrof View Post
Helliwig specifies that axles should be weighted when adjusting.
That is true but it is easier to tighten with no weight on the axle. As long as you don't over tighten them it doesn't matter how you do it.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:54 AM   #139

How are you guys actually adjusting these? Just taking off the bottom nut, tightening the top nut on either side of the U-bar, and putting the bottom nut back on? Is it that simple?

Also are you guys tightening both the front and rear U-bolt assembly or just the front?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:14 AM   #140

You need to tighten both. You can tighten them to about 1" of clearance to the factory suspension. That will provide the maximum support to your unit. It will also reduce the bottoming out problems. It really depends on the coach you have, a 31FS weighs a lot more than a shorter unit. Rather than take the weight off as I mentioned above you can also use a "C" clamp to relieve some pressure on the nuts. By all means tighten them evenly, i.e. tighten one side a few turns and then the other side a few turns and then the front two a few turns until it is tightened enough. It is very easy to strip the threads. If you do however don't worry as Hellwig has a lifetime warranty on the components so you can just call them and they will send out a replacement part at no charge.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad