Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2015, 08:17 AM   #141

Mine has a healthy ~2100 pounds of cargo. My dealer aligned it w/ a full tank of fresh water before I signed my papers. I'm pretty happy w/ it even though I have the 4" Hellwig spread in the back. I haven't experienced any issues really. In fact I can take her up to 65 and let my hands off the wheel and she tracks true (so long as there are no crosswinds). I was debating tightening them up another 1" or so given this thread, but I'm afraid I'd mess up the alignment by sending more weight forward.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:00 AM   #142

I'm with you Jopopsy. I've been following this thread for some time thinking this was something I would do. I've got about a 5" gap on both ends that supposedly should be adjusted. My rig handles and rides so nice that I'm afraid to mess with it and goof up my handling and ride. It rides and drives soooo much better than my Class A Winnebago.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #143

My prior Minnie Winnie handled like absolute complete garbage.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:36 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
I'm with you Jopopsy. I've been following this thread for some time thinking this was something I would do. I've got about a 5" gap on both ends that supposedly should be adjusted. My rig handles and rides so nice that I'm afraid to mess with it and goof up my handling and ride. It rides and drives soooo much better than my Class A Winnebago.
Try it, you can always put it back where it was. But I don't think you will....
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:51 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDad View Post
Try it, you can always put it back where it was. But I don't think you will....
I just may this winter when I'm on the prowl for stuff to keep me occupied.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:29 PM   #146

I know this thread has been resting for a while but thought I'd wake it up again with my own input. After meeting up with another 29MV owner in my neighborhood who had done the adjustment, I decided to go ahead and give it a try. Purchased a 7/8" ratchet wrench and made the adjustment. Made the adjustment by unloading the Helwigs with my levelers. Went just peachy until I got to the last shackle. That one gave me quite a hard time trying to break it loose but finally got it done. It'll be interesting to see how the adjustment affects the ride and handling. I'll probably take it out some time in the next month just to run it and to verify the handling.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:28 PM   #147

Made a big diff for my handling, hope it works for you to.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #148

My 2016 Redhawk 26XD (on a 2015 Ford chassis) has a tendency to wander making for a tiring drive.
A trip to the local scales with a fully loaded unit weighed in at, front axle 3924 lbs. (max 5000 lbs.), rear axle 9127 lbs. (max 9600 lbs.).
My dealer has contacted Jayco and they have agreed to foot the bill for an alignment. My dealer asked about the Hellwig spring issue at the same time, all Jayco’s reply was to Fax me the installation guide for Hellwig helper springs which were of no help as to what the settings should be.
My question: are there others out there with the smaller units having the same issues. Did you adjust the helper springs and if so by how much? If I have to adjust them I would like to do it prior to taking the unit in for realignment.
I have no qualms about adjusting the spring tension myself as they are designed by Hellwig to be adjusted to suit load variances as necessary.
The Logans, how did you make out with your issues?

brandysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:33 PM   #149

Brandysdad, sorry I can't really help you out but I'm betting the front end alignment will be a huge help.

I've put about 1000 miles on my rig since I made the Hellwig spring adjustment. I can tell no difference in handling or ride. Apparently I was one of the lucky ones that had a properly adjusted front end as my rig handles very nicely.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:34 PM   #150

I'm happy w/ my 29MV as well; maybe the weight distro on our rigs are good to go w/ the stock way Jayco/Mor-Ryde installs the Hellwigs.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:52 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I'm happy w/ my 29MV as well; maybe the weight distro on our rigs are good to go w/ the stock way Jayco/Mor-Ryde installs the Hellwigs.
Nice to get lucky once in a while . At my last weigh in I was within 200 lbs left to right. Front weighed 4800 lbs (5000 max axle weight allowed) and rear was 9000 lbs (9600 max). I weighed in with normal travel load. I've since added another 100 lbs on the hitch with a spare tire and tire hanger. The extra 100 lbs hanging off the rear end made no difference in handling either.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:08 PM   #152

Don, what's the CCC on your rig? I was around 2000 or 2100 pounds.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:36 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Don, what's the CCC on your rig? I was around 2000 or 2100 pounds.
The number on my door post says 1909 lbs. Specifically stated, weight of cargo and passengers cannot exceed that weight. Not much wiggle room but it's the nature of the beast with these large class Cs.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:43 AM   #154

My unit tended to wander when I first got it. After reading the forums, I checked my springs out. They were set for 4 to 5 inches. There were no two of the same. I called Jayco and they sent me the same info that was no help. I called Hellwig and they told me that the springs were way out of adjustment for the weight of the vehicle. They recommended setting them at 1.5 inches. I also read this in the forum where someone else had called Hellwig also. I adjusted them but the steering wheel was still very loose and the unit still wandered. I had the front end alignment done and now the steering is tight as should be. The alignment shop told me that the alignment was out. I haven't gone on any long trips since the alignment but the drive home (about 40 miles) was better.
driwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:37 PM   #155

I called Jayco today after reading these posts. He didn't seem very helpful except for sending me something from a photo (Hellwig standard.jpg) that doesn't show much . I am expecting a call back on other issues tomorrow so I will ask again.
caroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #156

After reading this post, went out and measured my 2 week old 31FS. Springs are set at 4 inches. Called Hellwig and talked to Kevin. Right away he told me to adjust them to 2 inches. He said at 4 inches they are basically doing nothing.
Another thing I have to do before we leave on a 3000 mile trip Friday.
Midwest Jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:29 PM   #157

Rides fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandysdad View Post
My 2016 Redhawk 26XD (on a 2015 Ford chassis) has a tendency to wander making for a tiring drive.
A trip to the local scales with a fully loaded unit weighed in at, front axle 3924 lbs. (max 5000 lbs.), rear axle 9127 lbs. (max 9600 lbs.).
My dealer has contacted Jayco and they have agreed to foot the bill for an alignment. My dealer asked about the Hellwig spring issue at the same time, all Jayco’s reply was to Fax me the installation guide for Hellwig helper springs which were of no help as to what the settings should be.
My question: are there others out there with the smaller units having the same issues. Did you adjust the helper springs and if so by how much? If I have to adjust them I would like to do it prior to taking the unit in for realignment.
I have no qualms about adjusting the spring tension myself as they are designed by Hellwig to be adjusted to suit load variances as necessary.
The Logans, how did you make out with your issues?
We have about two and a quarter inches of thread showing after the nuts. I'm reluctant to mess with it, as it rides perfectly. No wandering at all.
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDad View Post
OK!! half way done. Didn't have to cut down the u-bolt length. Other than that it is going like I said above. It would go a lot quicker if I had a 4" long deep well socket so I could use the impact wrench. But, I do have a 7/8" ratcheting combination wrench. I started off using a 6", 8" would have been better c-clamp, but it isn't needed. After breaking loose the lock nut the combination wrench had no problem running up the nuts. Very little umph was required. Just do one side a little, then the other. Takes a while because of the fine threads. Also measure the thread length at the end and keep them the same. Seeing as how there was no lock washer between the nuts I put on a little blue locktite on the lock nut. Get that from most shops - NOT.
Took me about an hour and a half, that included gathering up the tools, etc. Decided to do the other side tomorrow. Getting dark out and the temp is down to 28. Might go a bit quicker tomorrow except the rear u-bolt is partially blocked by the exhaust. Just something to work around. No biggie though.
Also, don't see any danger doing it oneself, just the cold gets to ya.
Did you have to use the levelers to raise the coach on the side you were working on, or was the C clamp enough? Doesn't look difficult, I'm considering buying the 8" clamp and a 7/8" ratchet wrench.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:35 PM   #159

Follow what MadDad has done and you will be fine. I used my BigFoot levelers on the side I was working on as referenced in the thread by MadDad. The clamp and jackstand serve as a safety issue. Take your time. Good luck.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:57 PM   #160

Also are you guys measuring from the curve of the Hellwig to the Ford spring?