Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2015, 03:41 PM   #81

We just put the Greyhawk into the shop at our local Jayco dealer to take care of our list of items accumulated since we bought it in August. This was on the list:

Quote:
The Jayco Owners Forum has a recent thread about Hellwig helper springs being incorrectly installed on many Greyhawks. The thread link is:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=23499
Please verify with Jayco and/or Hellwig that the helper springs on the Greyhawk are adjusted to the proper heights for maximum load support.
When we get the Greyhawk back, I will post the results.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #82

NC Roamer, please let us know your results. How much are you planning to have them adjusted??

Also a slight correction, they ARE installed correctly, just not adjusted for the load.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:55 PM   #83

Not sure specifically. I want the service manager to look into it and then speak with him. I'll definitely post the results.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:49 AM   #84

We tried this approach also but CW just said that was a chassis issue and they wouldn't touch it. My only concern on doing it myself is the warranty issue. The camper is only 6 months old but I don't think I can wait another 18 months for the better ride. I am looking for a local Hellwig dealer to see what they tell me on them fixing it.

Rick and Janet Harris
2015 Greyhawk 31DS
tow 2014 Honda CRV

rickyd53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:03 AM   #85

Important issue.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:34 AM   #86

For crying out loud!! It appears to NOT be a Jayco issue, because it's a chassis issue, Ford will probable not have anything to do with their altered van chassis, so that leaves Hellwig. They say it can be adjusted, so adjust it. Read my how I did it, and later what I thought of the ride improvement. Get out from behind your keyboard get the wrench I recommended, and get your hands a little dirty, just a little. It's not rocket science here just a little tension adjustment.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:44 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDad View Post
For crying out loud!! It appears to NOT be a Jayco issue, because it's a chassis issue, Ford will probable not have anything to do with their altered van chassis, so that leaves Hellwig. They say it can be adjusted, so adjust it. Read my how I did it, and later what I thought of the ride improvement. Get out from behind your keyboard get the wrench I recommended, and get your hands a little dirty, just a little. It's not rocket science here just a little tension adjustment.
Yes, do agree to the tension adjustment. Thanks.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #88
WDW

I think with those few words you said it with great clarity for the many different messages that are going on this topic. This is not a defect in the design for the installation it's an adjustment issue that needs to be finalized after the final production and is it sometimes called commissioning to put it into service. This is exactly the point I'm making with my dealer regarding resolving this matter in one hour of shop time at the local truck facility where they take them for their heavy duty work.

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:43 PM   #89

Well good grief,

It sounds like anybody in my position is screwed! I'm not physically able to do it myself, no local truck dealers will do it while it's still under warranty, and there are no Hellwig authorized shops within a day's ride.

I've written Hellwig twice for advice, and they have not responded. The unit rides like crap with the springs as they are, which makes the front end too lite.

I just don't know what to do at this point... this should have been taken care of before the unit left the factory, to go to the dealer.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:26 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
Well good grief,

It sounds like anybody in my position is screwed! I'm not physically able to do it myself, no local truck dealers will do it while it's still under warranty, and there are no Hellwig authorized shops within a day's ride.

I just don't know what to do at this point... this should have been taken care of before the unit left the factory, to go to the dealer.
Can't you get a friend, neighbor or relative to come over and do it for you?
Print out how I did it to guide them, if you don't have the hydraulic levelers use a 12 ton hydraulic jack. You should have one with you when you travel anyway. Then take them out to supper.

MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote