Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2015, 04:41 PM   #81

We just put the Greyhawk into the shop at our local Jayco dealer to take care of our list of items accumulated since we bought it in August. This was on the list:

Quote:
The Jayco Owners Forum has a recent thread about Hellwig helper springs being incorrectly installed on many Greyhawks. The thread link is:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=23499
Please verify with Jayco and/or Hellwig that the helper springs on the Greyhawk are adjusted to the proper heights for maximum load support.
When we get the Greyhawk back, I will post the results.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:01 PM   #82

NC Roamer, please let us know your results. How much are you planning to have them adjusted??

Also a slight correction, they ARE installed correctly, just not adjusted for the load.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:55 PM   #83

Not sure specifically. I want the service manager to look into it and then speak with him. I'll definitely post the results.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:49 AM   #84

We tried this approach also but CW just said that was a chassis issue and they wouldn't touch it. My only concern on doing it myself is the warranty issue. The camper is only 6 months old but I don't think I can wait another 18 months for the better ride. I am looking for a local Hellwig dealer to see what they tell me on them fixing it.
driwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:03 AM   #85

Important issue.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:34 AM   #86

For crying out loud!! It appears to NOT be a Jayco issue, because it's a chassis issue, Ford will probable not have anything to do with their altered van chassis, so that leaves Hellwig. They say it can be adjusted, so adjust it. Read my how I did it, and later what I thought of the ride improvement. Get out from behind your keyboard get the wrench I recommended, and get your hands a little dirty, just a little. It's not rocket science here just a little tension adjustment.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:44 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDad View Post
For crying out loud!! It appears to NOT be a Jayco issue, because it's a chassis issue, Ford will probable not have anything to do with their altered van chassis, so that leaves Hellwig. They say it can be adjusted, so adjust it. Read my how I did it, and later what I thought of the ride improvement. Get out from behind your keyboard get the wrench I recommended, and get your hands a little dirty, just a little. It's not rocket science here just a little tension adjustment.
Yes, do agree to the tension adjustment. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #88
WDW

I think with those few words you said it with great clarity for the many different messages that are going on this topic. This is not a defect in the design for the installation it's an adjustment issue that needs to be finalized after the final production and is it sometimes called commissioning to put it into service. This is exactly the point I'm making with my dealer regarding resolving this matter in one hour of shop time at the local truck facility where they take them for their heavy duty work.

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:43 PM   #89

Well good grief,

It sounds like anybody in my position is screwed! I'm not physically able to do it myself, no local truck dealers will do it while it's still under warranty, and there are no Hellwig authorized shops within a day's ride.

I've written Hellwig twice for advice, and they have not responded. The unit rides like crap with the springs as they are, which makes the front end too lite.

I just don't know what to do at this point... this should have been taken care of before the unit left the factory, to go to the dealer.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:26 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
Well good grief,

It sounds like anybody in my position is screwed! I'm not physically able to do it myself, no local truck dealers will do it while it's still under warranty, and there are no Hellwig authorized shops within a day's ride.

I just don't know what to do at this point... this should have been taken care of before the unit left the factory, to go to the dealer.
Can't you get a friend, neighbor or relative to come over and do it for you?
Print out how I did it to guide them, if you don't have the hydraulic levelers use a 12 ton hydraulic jack. You should have one with you when you travel anyway. Then take them out to supper.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:27 AM   #91

I want to thank everyone for this post. As a new Jayco Redhawk owner, I checked the clearance of the u-bolts and found that there was more than 3" clearance. I then called Hellwig and was told that there should be only 2" clearance. I will do the adjustment myself (40+ years in the mining industry). I just wonder how many owners do not know of this problem. Just thanks for all of posts about this miss-adjustment by whoever did the install (Jayco or Ford).
bigdaddyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #92

Morryde did the install..
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:35 PM   #93

It's the dealers...

In my opinion, these units should have never left the dealers without having the Hellwig springs adjusted for the "out the door" load.

Ours wanders because the front end is too light.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 04-07-2015, 07:12 PM   #94

How to compress spring.

I can jack up one side to take the weight off but am afraid I will strip the U-Bolt. How can I compress the spring to tighten the U bolt? Can a rent such a tool?
bustrbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:37 PM   #95

Bustrbyte, I have the same issue, but I'm not able to do the adjustment myself. Jayco told me that if the unit is under warranty, the adjustment should be done by a Hellwig certified service center. Unfortunately, there isn't one of those within a days drive. I'm taking it back to dealer next week, but even they're not sure if they can (or want) to do it.

So, I may end up taking it back to the factory... what a pain!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 04-07-2015, 07:38 PM   #96

You have to adjust with weight on the springs or loaded.

Best tool would be a ratching wrench, 22mm. You can use another closed in wrench as an an extension to make it easier.

A deep socket will not get the nut in enough. You compress the spring with the nut, nothing else. It's a tiring job, just take your time.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:33 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustrbyte View Post
I can jack up one side to take the weight off but am afraid I will strip the U-Bolt. How can I compress the spring to tighten the U bolt? Can a rent such a tool?
I know it sounds backwards, but getting the tires to just touch the road will get the load off the U-bolts. A 1 7/8 ratcheting wrench will turn them very easily. Read my earlier post about how I did it. It's really pretty easy. Oh, it also made a big improvement in handling. Oh also screw Jayco on the warranty stuff. All I've ever heard from them is it's the other parts supplier's responsibility, and Hellwig says they need to be adjusted!!
Old 04-08-2015, 01:42 PM   #98

Just took my test drive after adjusting the Helwig on my Jayco 31FS. There is a definite improvement and very glad I did this myself. As previously posted, yes do jack up one side to point where tires just barely touch the surface. The bolts tightened up easily. It took a 7/8" ratcheting ratchet tool purchased at Lowe's for about 16 bucks.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:12 PM   #99

I have been saying 1 7/8" wrench, and indeed it needs a 7/8". Sorry about that!!
Old 04-08-2015, 03:33 PM   #100

Oklahoma Dan, what jacking point did you use?
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier