Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2016, 04:35 PM   #1

water pipe and pump noise

Will a accumulator quieten a water pump that's loud when it shuts off?
Are there any centrifugal 12v pumps suitable for a rv?
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #2

I installed a Jabsco marine pump in mine, its much quieter than the standard pump. But you still hear it running, the accumulator tank will only help it run less often but still noisy with the factory pump.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:12 PM   #3

What is the correct pressure for the water pump?

I found a place for a gauge and the water pressure is 45 lbs when it shuts off, I use a pressure regulator at the water inlet while parked and the pump won't automatically shutoff when the water is connected, I have to turn it off. Is 45 psi too high?
Old 02-22-2016, 05:21 PM   #4

The pump I use is set to 50psi. I believe if you have the hose connected to the city water connection the pump is not used, pressure comes from the hose. If you are drawing water from the fresh water tank then the pump comes into play.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #5
Site Team

A accumulator will stop the short cycling of the pump especially when the faucet is on low as in rinsing dishes etc. To quiet the pump you must install sound deadening materials where the pump contacts the floor or walls and around the pex pipe that contacts these areas as well.

Here is what I did to mine.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:26 PM   #6

Yes, that's how it's supposed to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
The pump I use is set to 50psi. I believe if you have the hose connected to the city water connection the pump is not used, pressure comes from the hose. If you are drawing water from the fresh water tank then the pump comes into play.
Evidently, using a pressure regulator on the inlet of the city water reduces the pressure below the pump pressure setting so my pump continues to run when the faucet is used unless I turn the pump off. Should I lower the pressure switch setting on the pump or remove the pressure reducer on the city water inlet?

Crabman, I like your setup but I have about 1/10 the room to work with as your setup.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I believe what Sundancer is trying to say is you use either the external water or the tank/pump, not both. I have experienced my pump running when on external water also, that reminds me quickly to shut the pump off.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:25 PM   #8

On my old class A, when connected to city water, the city water pressure was above the pump switch set point so the pump stayed off without turning off, I'll remove my regulator and see if the pump shuts automatically.. thanks
Old 02-22-2016, 08:51 PM   #9

I would just leave the pump off and keep the hose connected to the city water connection with the pressure regulator and see what happens, your water flow should be fine.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:59 PM   #10

I am planning something a little more extreme, once I enclose the underbelly of my trailer I am going to move the pump next to the water tank outside of the living area. I have a 2gal accumulator which helps alot, but the pump is still waaay too loud for me and sometimes has trouble priming. Locating it closer to the fresh water talk should solve both problems, as long as the enclosure keeps out the elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
A accumulator will stop the short cycling of the pump especially when the faucet is on low as in rinsing dishes etc. To quiet the pump you must install sound deadening materials where the pump contacts the floor or walls and around the pex pipe that contacts these areas as well.

Here is what I did to mine.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote