Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2016, 08:47 PM   #1

Water pump questions

On our last outing, we needed to use the on-board water, but the pump failed to provide any water. The motor sounded, but no flow. Water tank was about 2/3 full.

Today I tried to figure out where on earth the pump was, as I wondered if it might have a screen that had gotten clogged. Once again, the motor ran (briefly), but no flow. Then, it flat quit running after about 30 seconds, and now does not turn on at all.

So, the following questions come to mind:
1. Where IS the water pump located?
2. COULD it be a clogged screen restricting the flow?
3. Is there a possibility that I burned the pump out by it running without a flow?

Thanks - we're new to Jayco and to the Class C world!
2016 29MV; toad 2013 GMC pickup
LandN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:10 AM   #2

Could be a clogged screen. Not sure where the pump is located on the 2016. I think on the 2017 it is located under or near the bathroom sink cabinet. Also need to make sure the water valves (located in the back left storage compartment) are set to the correct settings to allow for the pump to pressurize the system. I think its the Normal setting for running off the onboard water tank. The pump will turn off once pressurized. That is how it is designed to work. You may have the water valves in a position that has caused the pump to pressurize a closed loop and not run anymore until pressure is released by changing the water valves.
Hope this helps.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:59 AM   #3
Site Team

Finding it may be a problem but it has to be findable. Hopefully someone will chime in.
I just had mine working and the next time I tried to use it, nothing.

I had to get to the pump and remove a small cup / screen on the input side. Washed it and replaced, just snug/ hand tight.

Worked like a champ afterwards. I think this will be a yearly item from now on.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:47 AM   #4

Like GeorgiaRV said, sounds like there's a valve closed. The pump pressurized the system then shut off. You need to open it for the pump to push water through the system.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:51 AM   #5

If this is your first time to use the pump, it may still be set to winterize the unit. I found this was the case with mine when I was sanitizing for our first trip. The pump is usually near the water tank, look in the cabinet nearest the potable water fill port. It may be behind a removable panel in the cabinet.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:19 AM   #6

The water pump on our 2016 Grayhawk MV29 is located under the bed on the right side . It is covered by a plywood cover . The valves must be set to NORMAL . If you hear it run it has power . The valves for the water are probably set to the wrong position . I copied the page from the owners manual that explained the valve positions and posted it near the valves . If you set the valves to country fill you should be able to hear the pump start to run, the pump is locate behind the wall where the valves are mounted . The switch for the water pump lights red when the pump is turned on .
Davidmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:42 AM   #7

Talking

Exactly as DavidMac stated! You will need something sturdy to hold up the bed. I suggest a 2X4 that sits on the carpeted lip in the compartment below the bed where the valves are. I would install a cross piece under the bed plywood for the top of the 2X4 to brace to. You could store this 2X4 in the clothes closet that's in front of the bed.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:44 AM   #8

The placement of the 2X4 mentioned above would be on the carpeted lip on the long side of the compartment, not next to the valves. Sorry if my post above was confusing!

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Old 11-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #9

The pump should be located in the front pass through storage area behind a panel. probably pretty close to your outside water control panel. When you access this panel in the storage area and find the pump, You will see a couple of valves coming off of the pump hoses, one valve should be located on the clear hose as this is the winterizing hose. another valve will be on the line that go's to the city water and tank lines. You can turn this valve and make sure it is "lined" up with the option of your choice. I would put some water in the tank and turn the pump on and try the faucet. You may have to line up the valve to pump from the holding tank etc.
GraftonGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #10

DavidMac has it right. It's under the bed on the forward end. Both valves must be set to "Normal" for the water pump to provide pressure to the faucets.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:42 PM   #11

RV water pumps are fine if you run them dry. No damage should occur.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:46 PM   #12

You can't hurt the pump by running it dry.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:05 PM   #13

Yep - valve setting was the problem!

Sorry for the delay in following up; haven't been able to get to the rig lately. But, when I did, I indeed found the valve settings to be wrong. Put them on Normal, all worked fine. Guess I'll need to get used to this Jayco way of doing things; I can't recall ever having to change settings like that in the other RVs we've had over the years.

I haven't found the actual location for the pump yet, but at least I now know the pump does indeed work. I figure I need to locate it, because some day the screen is bound to be clogged.

Thanks, everybody!
2016 29MV; toad 2013 GMC pickup
LandN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:58 AM   #14

Smile

LandN,
Lift up the bed. Directly in front of your legs is a rounded panel that has the converter, inverter, transfer switch and the back of the electrical panel. The access door to the electric panel will be on floor level in front of your feet. Now just past this rounded panel you can see the compartment where the water valves and two low point drains are located. To the right of this compartment is a rectangular panel. Under this panel is your water pump. You need a screwdriver to remove either the rounded panel or rectangular panel. Because the bed is very heavy, you need something to prop it up. First you will need to install a cross piece on the under side of the bed so the "prop" has something to brace against. The other end of the "prop" like a piece of 2X4, could sit on the carpeted lip in the large compartment under the bed. I hope this helps.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV