Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #1

Water Pump/Tankless Water Heater Noise

I've been hearing a clanking type sound when using my water pump. Just at beginning of pumping cycles. More prevalent when using hot water tap (which makes me think coming from tankless water heater), but also when flushing the toilet. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 05-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #2

Look for anything touching/near the pump. The little bugger vibrates quite a bit during operation.

I've noticed that it makes more noise when the fresh water tank is running low.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:49 PM   #3

I also frequently hear a "clunk" from the area of the Girard when I open a fixture. And if the tankless heater on/off switch is on, it will sometimes even start the vent fan when it does this, as if the burner is preparing to fire. The fan runs for a few seconds and then quits. This is even though I am only using cold water somewhere in the coach. I thought it might be the W/H flow switch, but I am surprised it would have such a specific sound. Maybe pressure variations?

I have my Seneca at the local Jayco dealer right now looking at the water heater, and you jogged my memory to include this information to them. I don't know if it might have a bearing on my issue where the W/H cannot seem to deliver a constant water temperature, regardless of what we try. Followed all the tips in the manual, and other suggestions I found in this forum but it never settles down. I waste a lot of water, which is unacceptable since I camp in state parks frequently which (mostly) do not have water and sewer hookups.

I wish I could have opted for a traditional tank-type unit, I never had any issues with those in my two previous MHs.
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:41 AM   #4

Can anyone tell me where the water pump is ??? 2015 Greyhawk. Please and thank you.
2012 Jayco Skylark (SOLD)
adaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:47 AM   #5

I want to say it is in the sink cabinet behind the water heater.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:31 AM   #6

Thanks for sharing Robbbyr. Could you share when you are advised what the "clanking" issue was? Thank you.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:20 PM   #7

Will do, at dealer right now and I did contact them to let them know about the noise. Hopefully they can figure out how to make the water heater consistent. Tankless is a good concept (unlimited HW) but so far I am not seeing good execution.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:11 PM   #8

In our 29KS the water pump is behind the panel under the bathroom sink.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:15 PM   #9

Mike837go, I checked. No noise from the pump or anything around it. Definitely coming from the tankless water heater but see nothing loose.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:04 AM   #10

After being at my dealer for quite some time I have it back! Part of the delay was the discovery of a leaking leveling jack and the time necessary to order, receive, and install it. I also extended the stay at their facility myself by having a Carefree window awning installed on the driver's side slide to shade the two windows there.

But regarding the water heater, the dealership said the clunking was "normal" but could not elaborate as to whether it is the flow switch, expansion, or actual movement of the WH components when water flows. They did find a small leak in my plumbing at the heater that I was unaware of and also replaced a thermostat. I have not yet been able to test the heater, but I hope these repairs solve the severe hot/cold cycling we were experiencing.

I wish I had the option to choose a traditional tank-type heater with electric element; having the campground pay to (mostly) heat my water while setup was nice. Plus "Navy" showers are feasible with a tank heater (to save water and subsequent grey tank space) versus the tankless recommendation to "just let it run" to maintain a constant water temperature.

I may do a conversion myself if I'm not satisfied, the hardest part I see would be getting the new WH door painted to match my coach. My WH is just a few feet away (and on the same side) as my electric panel which has open breaker spots. And I am certain I could replace the current WH dial control with the new LP/Electric controls since I can access behind the current dial switch now. Anyone have any feedback on the Atwood XT heaters and their claim to have as much capacity as a larger tank?
Old 06-28-2015, 10:36 AM   #11

Thank you for sharing Robbbyr. I just had our Grayhawk in for warranty issues and was also advised that the "clanking" from the water heater is normal. We did replace the shower head with the Oxygenics shower head. Unbelievable water pressure from it! We open the hot water tap about 2/3rds and have experienced great hot water showers.