Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2015, 04:22 PM   #1

Waxing

I read a post in another forum that reminded me of something I've been wondering... how does anybody wax the front cap on our class C's. The fiberglass is so thin, you really can't lean a ladder against it to gain access. I was thinking of attaching a 2x4 to the ladder, wide enough to distribute the load out the edges of the cap, but still wasn't comfortable. Short of scaffolding, I'm not sure what to do.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:37 PM   #2

It's a real bother but can be done. I use a very substantial ladder for one foot and the other foot goes on the black portion (air intake and whatnot) at the rear of the hood. I can reach up quite high from there and then reach the rest from the roof. I can also reach quite far in from the sides so there's only about 4 or 5' in the middle that's the most challenging. The key to doing it safely is to use a heavy step ladder that won't collapse or twist.
hoppers4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:58 AM   #3

Work Platform

The only way I have found to access the entire cap safely is to place a step ladder on either side of the vehicle and then place an adjustable work platform on the ladders above the hood in front of the windshield. This allows me to easily walk back and forth across the entire width of the front cap safely. The adjustable Werner platform was purchased at my local Lowes.
GeraldNKathy is offline   Reply With Quote