Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2016, 09:46 PM   #1

Weak air conditioner?

Hi all,

We have a 2015 Greyhawk 29MV. The AC works, and pumps out good cool air from the unit, but on those hot Colorado summer days with the sun hitting the sides, it never quite seems to cool ... About the best we get is 77 and it often starts creeping up ... Luckily, at night the hot Colorado summer days turn to cool nights!

But, we may be heading to Utah and
Nebraska later in the summer ... Nights a bit warmer there ...

Has any one else have a "weak" AC experience?
Are we being maybe too demanding?
And, are there more powerful AC units that we could buy to replace the current one?

Thanks!

Gmdjeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:00 PM   #2

Hi
I just experienced the same situation in a two month old Alante down in Hell's Canyon with outside temps around 100 degrees. I took out the air conditioner book and in the first few paragraphs I learned that it is designed to cool around 20 degrees below outside temperature. Oh well. Check your manual and see if you are in the same situation.

brushbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:02 AM   #3
Site Team

Try skylight insulation, window shades to reduce heat transfer. Also check your ductwork for small holes that allow cold air to go somewhere other than the ductwork.

Other than not wearing clothing...that's all I got!

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:04 AM   #4

Same A\C performance in mine. 92 the other day and it got it down to about 77.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake

tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:04 AM   #5

Check out this thread: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...ing-36575.html

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:04 AM   #6

Same problem with mine I cant even think about cooking in the camper during a summer day without the inside temp reaching the high 80's. Jopopsy give us a review on those exterior sun shades they seem pricey but if they work they will be worth their weight in gold.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #7

About 10-15 degrees is the most you can hope to lower the temperature inside your camper on hot days.

Last weekend in the campground at Texas Motor Speedway, it was hot (mid 90's) and really humid. During the hottest part of the afternoon, the temperature in my living room was around 82. I was able to cool the bedroom to just about anything I wanted it to be. Even at 82, it was much more comfortable than outside, as the A/C was doing the job of removing humidity from the air.

On days like that, my A/C units really suck the gas through the generator.

I consider the months of July and August to be "out of season" for my camper here in Texas. I may take it to the hills of Arkansas for a weekend in August, where it will be much milder.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:42 AM   #8

It's not that your A/C is "weak", but that your RV is poorly insulated with plenty working against you in terms of heat transfer. A/C, is only designed to give you a 15-20 degree temp. difference between supply and return air. If it's 85 in the coach......expect only 65-70 out of the supply. Any coach over 26' should have a front and rear mounted A/C. A single handles the dry heat better, but factor in humidity and forget it!! Every little bit helps......shades down, shade parking, outside cooking, etc.......

2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:30 AM   #9

Many thanks,

Thank you all!
In the few months that I have been a member here, I have always found a great response to any post!! This is certainly no exception!

Much good information ... I did check the manual and found the comment about only cooling to 15 to 20 degrees below outside air ... Not really surprised, but all the info helps understand the "why" as well as the "what"

Great tips, too, on how to better use what I have.

Adding a 2nd unit might help, too, so I will look into how expensive that is ... Might be a task for the off-season because it takes awhile to get "shop time" ...

Thanks again to all ...

Best reagards,

John B.
Gmdjeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhawk01 View Post
Same problem with mine I cant even think about cooking in the camper during a summer day without the inside temp reaching the high 80's. Jopopsy give us a review on those exterior sun shades they seem pricey but if they work they will be worth their weight in gold.
Installed them yesterday and got to see how they worked out as my rig sat in the driveway. My driveway is southern facing w/ no shade, so I get full sun all day long on it. Yesterday's high was around 87 or so.

Mind you, my AC was not on as I was just plugged in and getting gear transferred into the coach. I had the coach door open / screen door shut and the Fantastic Fan on high pulling whatever cooler air I had through the coach.

My coach never got higher than 86 degrees, and my window frames were much cooler to the touch. I've no doubt at all my AC would have been able to cycle on and off were it on duty.

More tests coming this week as I venture off to Castaways, OC MD.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote