Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2016, 08:22 AM   #1

Weigh stations

Sorry if this has been hashed out B4. I have a 2014 Seneca and a H2 Hunmer as toad. Live in Colorado and will be traveling to Florida later this year. Will I need to stop at weigh stations along the way? I assume that they dont want to be bothered by us rvers but last week I saw a sign in New Mexico that said all comercial and all towed vehicles must stop. I didnt stop but really got me to think about those weigh stations especially when it said ALL TOWED VEHICLES.
Colombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:10 AM   #2

I have never stopped, except at CBP Checkpoints or the Agricultural Inspection Station that we have between AZ and CA.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:17 AM   #3

It is my understanding that the signs apply only to commercial vehicles. I agree it is misleading with the way they are worded. I would stop at the first one and get clarification from someone in authority.

Keep in mind this may vary from state to state.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:31 AM   #4

I see those signs when we go to NM too. Pretty confusing. I just drive by (towing my Jeep) and no one has stopped me yet. I did half way expect to see flashing lights in the mirror the first few times but no one seemed to care. I'm pretty sure that just applies to commercial vehicles.
AaronM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:18 AM   #5

And if you are stopped at a CBP Checkpoint or an Agricultural Inspection Station, you don't legally need to answer any questions including your citizenship status, but have the right to ask two questions if you are not allowed to continue on your way or asked to pull over to a secondary checkpoint;
Am I being detained?
Am I free to go?

Note: CBP Checkpoints between the USA and Mexico or Canada do not apply.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #6

CBP Stations

All Customs and Border Patrol stations along the southern border are exactly 60 miles from the nearest port of entry. After that, there are none.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHolt View Post
All Customs and Border Patrol stations along the southern border are exactly 60 miles from the nearest port of entry. After that, there are none.
Funny though how you are stopped on I8 driving east to west through southern CA or SR90 driving from Sierra Vista, AZ towards I10.

Sorry for "polluting" this thread.
Radio silence.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #8

I have never stopped pulling my TT. Now in Florida they want all rental trailers to stop, so I stopped when I was pulling a U-Haul trailer, but never my TT.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHolt View Post
My running mate is a retired Customs Colonel and BP Check points have to be within 100 miles of the boarder and try not answering are you a US citizen? I past BP checks weekly and I know they say here comes that GMC shopping cart again! (wife's vehicle)

As for the original question, the weigh stations are for commercial vehicles. IN NM they will check live stock and lately I have seen check points checking boats for Zebra mussels.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:50 PM   #10

Keep going!
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:42 AM   #11

I drove over the road for 41 years and I have seen many RV's pull into Weigh Stations. All licensed transporters have to stop at all of them like any other commercial vehicle. Most states do not require private RV's to stop at them. I recently took a trip to Virginia in my Greyhawk passing thru Maryland on interstate 68. The sign at the scale said " ALL VEHICLES OVER 5 TON MUST WEIGH". Nothing suggesting only commerical vehicles. I went thru the scale and stopped on the platform and waited about 5 seconds for the green light. I saw the following posted on a different forum. Someone had emailed the MDTA and asked if RV's had to stop at state weigh stations.

Thank you for your email and for contacting the Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA). Financed solely by toll revenue, the MDTA is an independent State agency that finances, owns, operates and maintains the State's eight toll facilities.
We appreciate your bringing this matter to our attention. All vehicles with a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating of greater than 10,000 pounds must stop at open weigh stations. Only vehicles that are operating in commerce may be subject to a safety inspection.

Thank you again for your email, and please let us know if we may assist you further.

Kerry Brandt

Division of Communications

If the sign says "ALL VEHICLES OVER 5 TON", I go in. If it says "ALL COMMERCIAL VEHICLES OVER 5 TON", I drive by.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:10 PM   #12

Thank you all so much for all your valuable information. I'm a newbie and have learned so much on this forum.
Colombo is offline   Reply With Quote