Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2013, 12:01 AM   #1

weighed it-overweight-now what?

Took my Granite Ridge 3100ss to the scale today. Five hundred pounds over weight on the rear axle, 250 overall. Emptied the rear storage compartment and redistributed more weight to the front compartments. Took out the tv/dvd player, went through the closets and cupboards and carved 200 pounds off. But what next? We dry camp so need the fresh water full. We have clothes for 3 to 4 days and food for a weekend. I could save some weight by not topping off the gas tank. Any ideas?
dumboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:26 AM   #2

Some may not agree with this idea. As a practical matter, I'd be using a percentage over total weight calculation to decide how much to panic.

That said, now that you have the actual weight you know that you need to be careful not to overpack.

FWIW. vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumboat View Post
Took my Granite Ridge 3100ss to the scale today. Five hundred pounds over weight on the rear axle, 250 overall. Emptied the rear storage compartment and redistributed more weight to the front compartments. Took out the tv/dvd player, went through the closets and cupboards and carved 200 pounds off. But what next? We dry camp so need the fresh water full. We have clothes for 3 to 4 days and food for a weekend. I could save some weight by not topping off the gas tank. Any ideas?
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

When I dry camp, I look at the availability of filling my fresh water tank at/near my camping destination when ever possible.

If you bring any type of awning side enclosure, spare tent, tables, extra chairs, coolers, etc. ...., may want to consider leaving them behind.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #4

Took out the honda generator, extra table, bbq, and electric coffee maker. No coolers, tents or side awnings. Kept two camp chairs, don't think wife would go if we sat on the ground. Thanks for the responses.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #5

Try another scale, that's just crazy to remove tv n BBQ .
Old 11-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #6

Don't use a truck scale for tractor trailers if that is what you did. You should find someone who weighs your unit the correct way- sep scales for each front tire and back tire. I had mine weighed the wrong way and then the correct way- big differences! I was not overweight. (Well, the RV wasn't anyway)
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee
RyanRving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #7

I always fill by water tanks at the campground or at some location near to the end point. Do not want to drag that water any further than I have to.

2010 Dodge 1/2 ton 5.7 Hemi 4Wd
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 25 RKS
puestads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippers View Post
Try another scale.....
That was my initial reaction.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #9

From what I know about the Granite Ridge, especially the 3100SS, is Jayco left virtually no CCC. The are many posts about it on the other forums. Others have reported hand calculated cargo capacity, using GVWR and actual scale weights with empty holding tanks, as low as 450-500lbs. Seems the only option is exactly what you are doing; remove unnecessary items, relocate remaining items and become very conscious about what you add in the future -- including people.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #10

Don't leave the generator at home...!

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #11

I went to a CAT certified scale. Looked all over the Seattle-Tacoma area for the individual wheel scales but came up empty. They seem to be mostly with the traveling road shows and did not see one scheduled in this area. If anyone knows different, please let me know.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #12

I probably run overweight with my 31FS. We weighed before one of our earliest trips out. We were very close to max. I am quite certain we have since loaded more stuff, but bet we are never over by 5%. The coach drives and stops normally. I travel with about 10-15 gallons of fresh water and near empty holding tanks. We drive it very conservatively and typically cruise at 65mph. I think they work the numbers to cover their asses legally, but the RV has to be able to transport people and stuff or it is useless.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Arvee View Post
I probably run overweight with my 31FS. We weighed before one of our earliest trips out. We were very close to max. I am quite certain we have since loaded more stuff, but bet we are never over by 5%. The coach drives and stops normally. I travel with about 10-15 gallons of fresh water and near empty holding tanks. We drive it very conservatively and typically cruise at 65mph. I think they work the numbers to cover their asses legally, but the RV has to be able to transport people and stuff or it is useless.
What year is your Greyhawk? Do you have the J-Ride package?
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #14

Mine is a 2012, it has all the parts but they were not calling it the J-Ride Package then, or atleast I did not know it was called that.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:05 AM   #15

I don't think Jayco counts the "optional" stuff they add to the "dry" weight. The label says that I had almost 1800# of CCC. According to the truck scales I. Don't have any even empty!
New setup:
Old 12-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #16

I hope the industry, all RV manufacturers, concern themselves with CCC. If they don't, they are playing a fools game. As users, we know we have to minimize our gear, but we are not going to leave behind those items that are necessary, or those that make our trips enjoyable. And we might not all be scholars, but we're not all stupid either. I have said this in other posts: We need to be smart consumers. They will only produce what we will buy.

Some months ago Rustic Eagle recommended a tongue weight scale in on of the threads. I bought one, and wouldn't buy a TT without using it. And, of course, it's important to know the other weights (pin, axle, etc.) - as it sits on the dealers lot.

I enjoy the RV lifestyle as much as anyone, but I'll drop them like a hot horseshoe if they can't produce a product that makes it worthwhile. For what RVing costs you can rent a cabin or motel for less.

Don't take this post wrong. I believe Jayco wants you to enjoy their product. If they don't make money, they won't stay in business. If they sell their product for less than it's worth, they won't make money. We might have to pay more for what we want. That's okay if there is value in it. For me, that's better than getting a bargain and not being happy with it. I think the only thing the RV manufacturers have heard from us lately is that we want a lower price.

It's the manufacturers responsibility to produce a safe product. Once they do that it's our choice. If a manufacture or dealer is misrepresenting weights, we can do something about that. We just have to have factual information. And it would be better to have it before the sale.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #17

Mine is a 2012-31FS with the Jride equipment, but not marketed as such when I purchased.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:22 AM   #18

I doubt the axle, or the tires will be effected at all. If it were me I wouldn't be too worried. Stan
stans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #19

I have a Grayhawk 2005. I weighed it at one of the Rally's and it was over, by quite a bit. So when we got home we completely emptied it excepted for the water and gas tanks. I got it weighed again and found I could put 600 pounds in it. I now put what I need and keep an eye on critical parts and go on down the road. If it fails because of over weight I will get rid of it and get something from someone else. BTW, Jayco would not answer any question on it, just like with the tank probes. So Good Luck...
2017Jayco Precept
towing a 2007 Honda CR-V
ChuckD37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD37 View Post
I have a Grayhawk 2005. I weighed it at one of the Rally's and it was over, by quite a bit. So when we got home we completely emptied it excepted for the water and gas tanks. I got it weighed again and found I could put 600 pounds in it. I now put what I need and keep an eye on critical parts and go on down the road. If it fails because of over weight I will get rid of it and get something from someone else. BTW, Jayco would not answer any question on it, just like with the tank probes. So Good Luck...
Unfortunately that is really complicated when you have a family of 5 and usually travel with 6. We purchased it to boondock and so we have to have water and all of our stuff with us! My unit only takes 32 Gallons of water but still that is 267# or so! That doesn't count fuel, clothes, food, passengers or anything else in the MH.
New setup: