Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2016, 08:08 PM   #1

What braking system for toad?

We have a '16 24F with Mercedes diesel. Our toad is a 02 wrangler sport. I am fitting the Jeep with the tow bar brackets so next will be the tow bar. Then comes the braking system.
What brake systems would be recommended for this combo? I've been looking on line and it seems that most of the reviews (published by suppliers) are oriented more toward what a great deal the company gave them and what great shipping time they had. Not much said about how the different systems function under use. So far the brackets are Roadmaster and the tow bar will be too.
Anyone have a recommendation? Since these things are not cheap (neither are the tow bars and brackets) I'd feel better hearing real-world pros and cons before I sell many more of my platelets.
Thank you very much.
Roy
stumpshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:20 PM   #2

We have the Blue Ox BRK2012 Patriot Portable Brake System. Portable between toweds and good manufacture support.
BRK2010 / BRK2012, Patriot | Blue Ox
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:00 PM   #3

We have the RVi Brake 2 and I've been really impressed with it. They just released a new model as well.

I looked at all of them and feel like the RVi Brake was the best for our application.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:12 AM   #4

We use the Patriot Portable Brake System also. We have pulled our toad about 4000 miles and have had no problems with anything. Easy to setup.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk98 View Post
We have the RVi Brake 2 and I've been really impressed with it. They just released a new model as well.

I looked at all of them and feel like the RVi Brake was the best for our application.
X2. Easy to set up, fairly compact, works reliably.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:36 AM   #6

I use the Roadmaster Even Brake. Bought it used, supposedly only half a dozen times. Works perfectly. No complaints. Fits well in the TJ footwell, and works with brake pedal for either auto or manual trans (pedal for auto trans is wider). Has a function to get rid of any residual vacuum in the system before adjusting itself to brake pedal throw. Like the Blue Ox, which I am sure is just as good, it works on compressed air, which is generated right there in the unit. Runs on the Jeep battery. I added a charge wire so the motorhome charging system is keeping the Jeep battery topped off all the time the MH engine is running. That way, after long days of towing, the Jeep battery is freshly charged and not dying.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:52 AM   #7

I currently use the Patriot by Blue Ox for braking, it is portable, easy to set up and works great. We regularly tow our one ton dually and our Jeep CJ 5 the patriot does not work with after market suspension seats in the Jeep. So I have an other modification project. I previously used a Brake Buddy that if you would like to buy PM me. It is also a good braking system.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:27 AM   #8

We have the Greyhawk and tow our 2002 Jeep Wrangler. We installed the roadmaster invisibrake and have been extremely pleased with it. Highly recommend!!
Old 10-27-2016, 03:55 AM   #9

Ready Brake

Seneca 37FS with the Ready Brake system. Couldn't be easier IMHO. Towing a Jeep Wrangler.
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote