Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2017, 11:03 AM   #1

When the hot water is too hot...

Here's an odd one. Last summer when it was 95*F degrees outside and we were driving down a black asphalt highway towards Nebraska, the hot road just baked our fresh water.

In the 31FK, the fresh water tank is underneath the coach and exposed.

It wasn't a huge deal but it got me wondering if I couldn't spray foam the tank to add some insulation. [ Of course, I have no idea where to buy this or how to apply it. How hard could it be? ]

Or maybe some 3M spray adhesive and some Refletix?

Or maybe this is just a Fools Errand and a silly idea? And I should just keep more chilled water in the fridge...
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #2

Do yourself a favor and don't drink the water from your fresh water tank. It's never going to be as clean as you would want it for drinking. Most just use the water from your fresh water tank for showering, flushing and cleaning. Buy a case of bottled water for drinking.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:27 PM   #3

Thanks - we don't drink from the Fresh Water tank. Well, the dog does. This is for showering and other general uses - it was too hot for our needs.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:22 AM   #4

On spraying the underside of your fresh water tank you can use "Dupli-Color" Protective Undercoat. It can be found at most auto stores. It puts a textured coating that dries fast. It helps retard rust, corrosion, dust "Heat" and cold.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth of info!

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebra View Post
Do yourself a favor and don't drink the water from your fresh water tank. It's never going to be as clean as you would want it for drinking. Most just use the water from your fresh water tank for showering, flushing and cleaning. Buy a case of bottled water for drinking.
I treat my fresh water tank water just like water from my former home kitchen sink. I cook with it, I drink it, I brush my teeth with it, and the cup of coffee I'm drinking right now and every morning is made with water from my fresh water tank.

Life is too complicated as is without making it more so by hauling bottled water around.

Seven years full time and lots and lots of water consumed from my fresh water tank. The only problem I have right now is it is time for another cup of coffee with fresh water tank water.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:06 AM   #6

Im with Ed on this... why complicate things? I don't use mine that often but when I do, the fresh tank is used for everything. No different than if I were hooked up to water at the CG.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:21 AM   #7

I am another that uses water from the fresh water tank, its just as good as bottled water, are actually I prefer it. bottled water (to me) has a plastic taste unless ice cold
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:26 AM   #8
Site Team

Why not just add some insulation and cover the tank areas with coroplast?That's all the mfg's do. http://www.coroplast.com/

You can buy it at many home stores.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Here's an odd one. Last summer when it was 95*F degrees outside and we were driving down a black asphalt highway towards Nebraska, the hot road just baked our fresh water.
In the 31FK, the fresh water tank is underneath the coach and exposed.

It wasn't a huge deal but it got me wondering if I couldn't spray foam the tank to add some insulation. [ Of course, I have no idea where to buy this or how to apply it. How hard could it be? ]

Or maybe some 3M spray adhesive and some Refletix?

Or maybe this is just a Fools Errand and a silly idea? And I should just keep more chilled water in the fridge...
Too hot for "... showering and other general uses (non-drinking uses)- it was too hot for our needs."

You've probably already checked to be sure the exhaust system heat isn't part of the problem. Those parts are at a much greater temp than the air and pavement temps.

Did you measure the water temp in your FW tank? If it was roughly the air temp (95*F or less), then, IMO, it would be difficult to make a significant reduction in water temp by applying something like Refletix to the FW tank.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:56 AM   #10

We've been drinking water from trailer fresh water storage tanks for years and years. No problems yet. I do sanitize the system at least annually.

The water people drink every day from municipal water systems is delivered or stored in plastic pipes, rusty iron pipes, and copper pipes, and large storage tanks. My fresh water tank, when sanitized occasionally and filled with clean water, is no different than those containers we all take for granted daily.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:12 AM   #11

As long as you sanitize the system it is fine for drinking.

If it were me I would do the 3M spray adhesive and some Refletix.

In home brewing we use it for insulation on our kettles and it works great. The issue will be if the 3M adhesive is good enough to keep it from blowing off.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:42 AM   #12

This thread reminded me of one more benefit of having a thermal package, never thought about the water tank... I've never even seen mine.

We drink out of our fresh water tank, and also bring bottled water. It's so convenient to grab a bottle out of the fridge before heading out for a long walk. Our outdoor fridge is pretty much a 50/50 split of beer and water bottles. Now that I think about it, the fridge in my garage at home is laid out the same.

I kind of like the reflectix idea, maybe with some gorilla glue.... doesn't sound too redneck to me and would definitely help.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Too hot for "... showering and other general uses (non-drinking uses)- it was too hot for our needs."
Yeah - we're in a unique situation with our son. The end of his shower has to be with a blast of chilly water. Just the way he needs things to be.

Usually the shoe's on the other foot - it's not hot enough. But when this happened, it caught me off guard.

I might give it a shot. Or I might wait to see if it happens to us again this summer. If nothing else, "bansai" can pick up the Refletrix that blew off the bottom of mine and try it on his.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post

I might give it a shot. Or I might wait to see if it happens to us again this summer. If nothing else, "bansai" can pick up the Refletrix that blew off the bottom of mine and try it on his.
I've picked up stranger things off the highway
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #15

I use a filtering system on my RV and use city water when hooked up at camp sights. Most good filters will do a real good job of getting rid of taste problems but we are like most we only drink bottle water when camping. We do cook with local water and have tested it and have never had a problem. Good luck with fresh water tank coating.
TheFang1940 is offline   Reply With Quote