Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2016, 09:37 AM   #11
On our 2015 Greyhawk 29mv, installed two Interstate 6v. batteries with Easy Fill hose setup, in storage bay next to the original 12v. slide compartment, had the battery floor reinforced for the extra weight, works great with way more juice for dry camping.
Use a stove top coffee pot, replaced all the non LED bulbs in the bedroom, microwave, kitchen counter lights, shower etc, just ceiling lights come with LED's btw., to save more juice.
We carry a quiet Honda 2000 generator and plug directly into that after a few days, run it for 6hrs. or so, each day thereafter, to maintain the batteries, will not power the AirrConditioner, but Onan will run that if necessary, but noise from Onan is more than the 2000 generator, so camping courtesy negates using onboard generator too much, never at night in camprounds.
We can boondock up to a week this way, as long as I can get fresh water to refill our tank.

StevWb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:33 AM   #12
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
I am not sure, but you need to check the battery area in the Greyhawk. I know that there are some members that have said that he space (above and around) the battery is very limited and may be an issue for bigger batteries.

I am sure that some of the members that have upgraded their Greyhawk batteries will jump in here.

Depending on what size your batteries are (Ah) amp hour rating, you may be limited as to what you can run off your inverter.

If at all possible you do not want to run the coffee maker or the microwave off your batteries as they are power hogs. Your fridge, if it is a Residential model will kill your batteries over night. If it is a LP model, run it off LP.

The CPAPmachine, if it has a power transformer get the 12VDC conversion cord for it. Mine, when I use it, hate that thing, runs off the batteries overnight with no issues.

Coffee, I use the Mr Coffee, coffee pot without electricity. I took a Tupperware 2 cup bowl that fit in the Mr Coffee basket and drilled 2 1/16" small tiny holes in the bottom of it (see picture). I put the filter in the basket, add coffee grounds and insert the Tupperware bowl into the basket on top of the grounds. Boil 2 cups of water on the stove and fill the cup. Takes the same amount of time and used no electricity... best part the coffee tastes the same.

You can't go wrong with the Trojan batteries

Holy cow, that coffee machine hack is genius. All hail Mustang!

2017 White Hawk 28DSBH
2010 F150 XLT SCREW, 4x4, 5.4L Triton, HD Tow
Andersen No-Sway Weight Distribution Hitch
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:07 AM   #13
Hot Coffee in the Morning, we have a Jayco 26rks and when we are not pugged in we use a 12 cup perculator for coffee heating it on the gas stove, it works great, we use the filters that close up on the top which seems to cut down on the grinds. If you want to feel like your cooking by the campfire here is a great perculator that can be bought here or on Amazon for about $25.00 I like it because I can change the blend or type of coffee I want in the morning... works great..... GSI Outdoors Enamelware Percolators and Boiler : Cabela's

davidki is offline   Reply With Quote