Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2016, 03:51 PM   #1

Wimpy stock horn needs help

I have had the Jayco Seneca for about a year now and before that had an Allegro on the Ford chassis (huge mistake getting the ford). Both are very large Motorhomes with wimpy-wimpy horns. I have grown an appreciation over the years for 18-wheeler drivers as you are not agile, you can't accelerate to yield to highway oncoming ramps and you can stop on a dime. And then there's the number of folks that have to pull in front of me and be in my lane and then suddenly stomp on the brakes.

The stock horn on the steering wheel....just doesn't cut it. Nor does it convey the right message these folks need in order to wake them up. I needed something that would make them see the err of their ways...or at least make them need to change their shorts.

So, my summer project was to install a train horn. Go to YouTube and do a search for train horns and you will see that the train horn has the potential to deliver the intended message. (Insert Muttley laugh)

So the attached pictures are the end result.
First picture shows where I installed the horn which is attached to angle iron in the battery bay (first bay on driver side) since it's open to the ground already for ventilation purposes.
Second picture is of the compressor in the second bay just over the wall to where horn is. Just bolted it down to the poly.
Third picture shows where I installed on the dash. I took the metal plate out (plate that holds air brake, door locks and door window switches) and cut holes to add several switches. 1st switch activates the horn. 2nd switch turns power on to the horn compressor. I then decided to add more switches for a few other items. 3rd switch says Ray Gun but I use it to power the radar detector which is hard wired in. 4th switch is called trailer power. Since I am either towing a jeep or a utility trailer I needed a way to install an electric brake controller and have the ability to turn power on/off. The 7-pin plug at the hitch now can be used to control the trailer brakes OR for the jeep. 5th switch is a power switch the controls the plug where your see iPhone usb wires plugged in. We were always fighting over having enough charge plugs between us and kids. Problem solved with more plugs. It also displays the voltage on the chassis batteries. Which helps me quickly monitor when in storage and I need to charge them.

Then I needed a place to mount the electric brake controller AND the brake controller we use for the Jeep (Blue Ox Patriot). So I remove the ash tray below the A/C controls, then added a metal plate (which I painted) to mount these two controllers to. You can also see on the far left of the brake controller is a push botton that mutes the radar detector that is way up in the dash.

Making our annual pilgrimage from TX to Colorado next week and looking forward to putting these useful new toys/tools to use.

DW didn't really appreciate the value of my hard work ....but I know some of you might.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
TNortham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:54 PM   #2

Horn location
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
TNortham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:55 PM   #3

Horn compressor location
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg