Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #1

Winter Storage

Our Melbourne is parked in covered storage for the winter. It is parked on gravel. Should there be wood between the tires and the gravel? Also, there is power available at the storage site. Is it okay to leave plugged in or should the house battery be removed? If it is okay to leave it plugged in for the winter, do I leave the refrigerator running? I plan on taking it out every couple of weeks if the roads are clear of salt and brine for a ten mile trip, to keep it running. Would appreciate your thoughts, since I am a newbie.
Milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:35 AM   #2

I keep my Class C on an RV pad in my back yard.
If you keep it plugged in, make sure you check the water level in your batteries every few weeks. Not sure why you would want it plugged in though.
Keep refrig off and leave the doors ajar (mine has plastic stops that hold the doors open slightly so air can circulate). Why are you planning on leaving the frig running? If you are leaving food in the rv, make sure you check for mice. I would empty everything food related and carry in what you need for short trips. Also check you owners manual for running refrig in cold weather, you may find outside temps may effect the efficiency when on electric verses propane.
Since it is not heated storage, things will freeze and cans and plastic containers may pose a problem. I had a soap bottle freeze and crack open. Glad it wasn't the olive oil!
If you are moving every few weeks, the gravel under the tires is probably ok.
I have MaxAir vent covers, so leave my vents cracked open so air can circulate around the coach too. I take mine out once a month, and check it at least once a week.
See picture in my signature. Last winter it sat there under all the snow from November to April! Hope this winter is better, but with the October Nor'easter, it doesn't look good! LOL
Old 11-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #3
Site Team

I really see no issue with storing it on gravel or stone, I do. No need to run the frig or leave it plugged in all Winter, you could disconnect the house battery and not worry about it. Your ten mile trip now and then will be good for the truck batteries and engine.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #4

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman View Post
Our Melbourne is parked in covered storage for the winter. It is parked on gravel. Should there be wood between the tires and the gravel? Also, there is power available at the storage site. Is it okay to leave plugged in or should the house battery be removed? If it is okay to leave it plugged in for the winter, do I leave the refrigerator running? I plan on taking it out every couple of weeks if the roads are clear of salt and brine for a ten mile trip, to keep it running. Would appreciate your thoughts, since I am a newbie.
I washed the Melbourne, turned off the refrigerator, used the mold guard stops, removed all food, liquids and paper items. I wasn't sure whether it was best to leave the battery connected with the shore power plugged in, use the battery disconnect or remove it. If I remove it, do I need to leave on a trickle charge? Thanks Mike and Rose and Crabman for your response!
Milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #5

All good comments. Just a footnote: Olive oil won't freeze. Just saying.
classact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to jloving
Have my Greyhawk parked on gravel next to our driveway for the winter. It is plugged into a 30amp outlet so everything is powered and I have a trickle attached to the Ford truck battery.

We check it one every two weeks, start the truck and generator.

We did notice some Styrofoam balls on the floor under a couple of the air conditioner vents the other day. No other signs of mice nests. Anyone see this before? Should I be worried?