Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #21

we have used the pink stuff for years and always drained the water heater as long as the lines coming in are pink from rv antifreeze you are usually fine, i know cold weather i lived in chicago most of my life, how do you like the 29xl mine is coming this week, we have a great jayco dealer here in vegas, this is my 3rd unit from them, they take care of everything and service is quick which is not the case anywhere else, i actually ordered hydraulic jacks on mine because i am lazy it was about 3200.oo installed at jayco
walkingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpratt83687 View Post
My only concern it that there is not enough antifreeze mixed with the water in the water heater to properly protect it from freezing. Our winter temps get down to about -4 degrees some nights and mid 20's most days.
If you have the valves to the wh closed off, I would remove the drain plug and drain it before the freeze. As others have mentioned, it is not good to leave anything in there especially anti freeze for long periods during a freeze. You can fashion something to divert the liquid away from the heater to keep it from wetting the rig depending on where it is located. I just let it drain out on the ground.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:26 AM   #23

I would also buy one of the water heater flush rods or you will never get all the antifreeze out of it. There is always a small amount of water in the bottom of the tank, to you will need to flush, flush, flush. Otherwise as was mentioned above you will have the odor of antifreeze for a long time in your hot water.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:06 AM   #24
Site Team

I left my rig in the dealers lot late last week and blew out the lines and drained all the tanks and wh. We are due for some cold below freezing next week so off I go in the morning to finish the job with some antifreeze. Just gonna fill the lines and pump with pink so I won't worry about it.
We hardly ever get that cold here along the coast of SC.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 11-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #25

Just opening the low points will not get all of the water out of the lines. Remember, antifreeze is only good to its rating if its not diluted. In my opinion it's best to blow the lines out first, then pump the pink stuff, that way you know it's all 100%.
campingn.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:53 PM   #26

camping.c. You're RIGHT... Although it takes more time (so what... FIXING plumbing in the spring will take MORE time, for sure), this is EXACTLY what I do - blow out the system and then fill with anti-freeze (so it's NOT diluted at ALL)! I run through about 2.5 gallons because of ice-maker and clothes washer. It's definitely worth just slowly working through the various systems!

2015 Seneca 37TS ("Screaming Eagle")
2009 Hummer H3 ("Ranger")
2005 Chevy 2500HD ("Max")
2008 MasterCraft X-15 ("One More Time")
WeylanBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I left my rig in the dealers lot late last week and blew out the lines and drained all the tanks and wh. We are due for some cold below freezing next week so off I go in the morning to finish the job with some antifreeze. Just gonna fill the lines and pump with pink so I won't worry about it.
We hardly ever get that cold here along the coast of SC.
I finished the job this morning and made a rookie mistake. I closed all the faucets and put the valves in winterize on the panel and went inside. Turned the pump on and could hear it running but nothing coming out of any faucets, Went back outside and remembered I had never cut the lp drains off. Dang it! I pumped a whole gallon of antifreeze on the ground. Closed them off, stuck the hose in a new gallon and off we went, pink out of every faucet and the showers and toilet.

Now I can sleep well. Low 20's here on Wed AM.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 11-17-2014, 06:33 PM   #28
Site Team

^^^I did that once too norty, lost about half a gallon before remembering the low point drains were open.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #29
WDW

I admit it! Did that thus fall for the first time!

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #30
Site Team

Well I feel like I'm in good company then. In all
My years of camping I have not winterized fully but a few times due to living in the south and right on the coast.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 11-18-2014, 09:08 PM   #31

Don't feel bad, my story just keeps getting worse!

I finally got all of the bypass valves in the correct position, stuck the hose in the gallon of pink stuff, opened the kitchen faucet, and turned on the pump. The pump ran for about 30 seconds... and died. No blown fuses, so I guess it just bit the dust.

It's currently 19 degrees out, and the poor Redhawk is not winterized.

This stuff just shouldn't be happening in a new motorhome!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #32

make sure all the valves and faucets are closed , turn the inlet screen around, with all valves closed the pump will run for about 30 seconds to build pressure, they are on demand pumps, then add pink stuff from a bucket which should be higher than the inlet open faucets 1 by one, if this doesn't work try buying a drill pump they are about ten dollars at lowes to prime pump, other alternative take it to dealer where you bought it they should have gone over this at delivery- good luck ps don't forget outside shower its the first to freeze
walkingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote