Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #1

Winterizing Issue 2013 Greyhawk 31FS

Just want to get some opinions on my issue.
I wanted to winterize my plumbing system myself for the first time, so I opened the manual and followed the steps but, the antifreeze was not syphoning into the system at a rate that was very slow. (45 min 2/3 of a jug). It never came out of any of the faucets or toilet. Double checked the steps and still nothing.
Today went to my service center and spoke to the tech he showed me that I need to connect to the water pump directly. This means un screwing the cover under the bed and attaching the hose and 10 minutes later we are done. He said there is a pressure valve in where the City Water connection is preventing the water from flowing back but also prevented it from syphoning in the antifreeze.
I did have the switches in the correct position 2 and 4.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
I will be sending an email to Jayco, as the steps in the manual are certainly different from what I needed to do to get it to work.
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:59 PM   #2

That's why I like it here in the Cheap Seats.

I have to crawl on the floor to snuggle up to the pump to change the valves that are right on the lines. No mysteries hidden behind valve 'A' in position 3.14159265.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:31 PM   #3

Thats right mike837go, the old Jay Feather was straight forward. This Greyhawk has a lot of switch positions. During the PDI, the tech said there was a position to draw water from a nearby river.

2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
wwachsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmellow View Post
Just want to get some opinions on my issue.
I wanted to winterize my plumbing system myself for the first time, so I opened the manual and followed the steps but, the antifreeze was not syphoning into the system at a rate that was very slow. (45 min 2/3 of a jug). It never came out of any of the faucets or toilet. Double checked the steps and still nothing.
Today went to my service center and spoke to the tech he showed me that I need to connect to the water pump directly. This means un screwing the cover under the bed and attaching the hose and 10 minutes later we are done. He said there is a pressure valve in where the City Water connection is preventing the water from flowing back but also prevented it from syphoning in the antifreeze.
I did have the switches in the correct position 2 and 4.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
I will be sending an email to Jayco, as the steps in the manual are certainly different from what I needed to do to get it to work.
Don't know if this applies to the Greyhawk, but, might be good read for you! Sounds like a similar issue like we experience in the spring.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...ill-28795.html
Old 10-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #5

I have this same model. Last year I had the same problem. Unlike your experience, I took it to the dealer and they did some work on the plumbing located near the pump located just off of the large storage bin at the left rear. Now I just put it at the right setting for Winterization and attach the hose to water input on the exterior. No need to go direct to the pump here. By keeping the plastic hose shorter than I had it the anti-freeze goes right in and flows out of the faucets. Unable to do this then perhaps the dealer might want to review this with Jayco as I don't see why there should be a difference in our motorhomes.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:53 PM   #6

The other trick is to flip the inlet hose screen/washer over and it will push the check valve open allowing the pump do it's job easier.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:36 PM   #7

I also found this in the manual:

"Turn the water pump ON. If the water pump fails to self-prime, temporarily
open the low point drains (close the low point drains as soon as the water
pump primes [RV antifreeze will begin draining out] and before continuing to
the next step)."
Old 10-14-2015, 09:38 AM   #8
Wyn

I also flipped the inlet screen to winterize, just be sure to put it back to the original position after you have winterized so the check valve works as it is supposed to under normal operation.
Wyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #9

Opening the low point drains works for us. Also, the container of anti-freeze is placed 3 feet off the ground.

2013 Greyhawk 31FS
CanucksVenturingSouth is offline   Reply With Quote