Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #21

cyclops,

Make sure he hose fitting is tight on the fresh water connection. Pump should then pull the antifreez from the jug through tube connected to the fresh water inlet with the valves in the "winterize" position.
Jay Flight 26BH - traded for Greyhawk
MichaelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #22

Thanks Mike, all connections were tight... I checked the forums here first But I learned something today after, of all things, reading the owners manual! I couldn't get suction at all in the winterized setting, so, as the manual said to try, I opened both low point drain valves and tried to prime the pump by holding my fill bucket as high as possible, sure enough I got antifreeze flowing out of the low point drains. Stopped the pump and shut the valves. The thing drew in the remaining gallon of fluid within seconds and pressurized the system so I was able to winterized without further issues. Took almost 2 gallons. I didn't have new mysterious clear tube to bypass the filter housing, so it had to fill first. After I got done I removed the filter housing and used the antifreeze in there for the bathroom traps. I think I'll just bypass that filter next year and go with an external filter only. Now my only worry is about the little bit of water still in the bottom of the water heater, and there must be water in that little bit of hose at the bottom of the water heater before the bypass valve. I think I'll disconnect that fitting on the bottom of the water heater inside and see how much water comes out.
cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #23

I have come to the conclusion that winterizing a Greyhawk is kind of a fickle process. Bottom line........ Don't wait until the day before the first hard freeze to winterize. Winterizing probably won't go as you expect it to go.
Jay Flight 26BH - traded for Greyhawk
MichaelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #24

Does anyone winterize the black/grey holding tanks and if so, what method do you use?
time2rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
Mike, did you get this problem resolved? I have a 2012 31FK, tried to winterized today, and appears to have the same problem, pump runs but does not suck up the antifreezes my pump does work in Normal position, and with some coaxing I can get it to pull water into the tank in the country fill position, just doesn't like the winterizing setup. Thanks!
I have this exact same issue. Struggled with it the first time last year, but got it to take off finally by holding the hose up, filling with antifreeze, then inserting in the bottle and it took off. This was after fighting with it for 45 minutes. Tried to do it last night, and got it to start a few times, but kept losing prime. I get an antifreeze/air mixture out of the fixtures sometimes, other times nothing. It has no problem doing the country fill or pulling from the fresh water tank when full. I don't know what I need to do to get this to work. I've wasted 3 bottles of antifreeze and the job isn't complete. Any tips?
pkanalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #26

Don't forget to pour or run the antifreeze into your drain traps on all your sinks and shower.
bigemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:45 PM   #27

I have a Melbourne 24L with the ""horizontal" utility center with the two 6 position valves There are two places to screw in a hose and I use the upper inlet to connect to water at a campground. Do I use the bottom connection to connect to a hose to suck up antifreeze?
Rscudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscudder View Post
I have a Melbourne 24L with the ""horizontal" utility center with the two 6 position valves There are two places to screw in a hose and I use the upper inlet to connect to water at a campground. Do I use the bottom connection to connect to a hose to suck up antifreeze?
I strongly doubt it.
The bottom connection on my unit is to flush the black tank!

Check it out - connect the water hose to the bottom connection and turn it on. If you hear the water 'jets spraying' then, yep - that's the black tank flush.

I use the little hose that came with the unit. Screw it into the top, flip the valves to winterize, put the end in the antifreeze and turn on the pump.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote