Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-16-2016, 07:09 PM   #1

Winterizing with air rather than Antifreeze

Hi all ..... '16 Grayhawk 29MV owner here.

I feel as though I read "many posts" about winterizing with both air and antifreeze.

I choose to try air. First, I know that water pipes in the coach were built by Jayco to be used at a limit of about 50lbs of water pressure. I have a water pressure gauge that limits to 42lbs of water pressure when camping.

So, I lowered my air compressor to 25lbs service pressure, put my coach on the City Water setting. connected the air to the water inlet, and turned the air on. I then went inside the coach, turned on the faucets one at a time to expel water from the pipes until air was escaping.

... "HOW CAN I BE SURE THAT ALL THE WATER IS CLEARED FROM THE PIPES ....???
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:37 PM   #2

Did you drain the hot water tank also? Plus the traps need a small amount of anti freeze.
I did the same thing, first time with air as it looks like I may use the 5W near the end of Dec.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:13 PM   #3

My '16 Grayhawk MV has an "ON-DEMAND" hot water heater. I'm thinking there is nothing to drain. I'm still doing research on what I did, and discovered I should probably do it repeatedly to insure total vacation.

But, you know what. I did not drain the hot water lines, only the cold water lines. A newbi mistake ...... Thanks for bringing that up ......
Old 11-16-2016, 08:23 PM   #4

Don't forget your outside shower and your black tank rinse line. It'll go quicker if you remove the water filter under the sink in the bathroom. You also need to remove the forward plywood cover under your bed and drain the coarse filter on the water pump intake. Not to worry if there's a bit of water here and there as this small amount of water will have plenty of room to expand.

After you're done with the fresh water lines, make sure there's nothing in left in your grey and black tanks. You don't want any water against your drain valves. A bit of RV antifreeze in each tank will reduce that risk.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:28 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
I've done the air only thing, but a wise man told me, the few dollars you spend on the antifreeze is a few dollars well spent!

That wiseman was my dad!
jaycojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:34 PM   #6

YES .... I forgot something else. The Black Tank spray line...... I fully intend to add a little antifreeze in the p-traps.

That's why I chose to turn to you fellas.... I'm a newbe ...... LOL ....
Old 11-16-2016, 10:17 PM   #7

Did you read the manual's section on winterizing? I blew my lines out with air, put the compressor up - then thought "I should probably read the manual". Yup - I had to get the manual back out - it reminded me not only to blow out the black tank rinse but also the line from the water pump to the fresh water tank (there is a valve for this on my FW.)

I used the "low point drains" to make sure all the water was out. After I cleared each faucet and the toilet, I reopened the low point drains. I'd close them, let the pressure build up, then open them again and again until I no longer got a "spray" of water out each time.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:34 PM   #8

Now I don't have a unit as nice as yours ( hybrid) but you might have the same condition that I have. On my fresh water low point drain there is is slight sagging in the line just before the low point drain and unless I push it up to drain it completely water will just lay in there and if there's enough water left to drip into the plastic low point drain it will freeze over the winter and break the drain. Please dbl check that line.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:49 PM   #9

I've blown the lines out in my '16 31FK several times. If you're staying South, I think you'd be OK. Make sure you empty the filter.

But in the end, I decide a gallon and a half of pink stuff is the safest approach for me. We'll have plenty of 'below zero' days here in Colorado.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:31 AM   #10

It gets pretty cold here on the Canadian Prairies; temperatures of -30* for extended periods of time are not unheard of. I go with the "belt and suspenders" approach. It takes a little more time and effort in the fall, but that's preferable to having repair a leak in the spring.

I drain the system, then blow out the lines starting from the one farthest from the city water inlet. Once the lines are clear, I then pump antifreeze through the system, making sure every fixture has it flowing. Then I blow out the lines again, again starting from the furthest fixture. That way, if there's anything left in the lines, it's just residual antifreeze. I've been doing it this way for years, and it's served me well. Better safe than sorry.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:37 PM   #11

No one mentioned the sink sprayer. Don't forget it or you Will be replacing this spring.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Cunning193 is offline   Reply With Quote