Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #1

yet another winterizing question

What if anything do I do with my Girard thankless hw heater. As I begin to pump in the antifreeze
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

it will fill with antifreeze as you do the rest of the system. it isn't bypassed

On edit: was the "thankless" a mistake or???? lol
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:51 PM   #3

Thanks nb...I'm good with it..basically set as low as you can get away with on dial and use hot water only decrease volume to intensify definitely would fill grey tank quicker when boondocking..glad to here I don't have to bypass when anti freezing. However time will tell..you do need to fuss a little which is annoying and every time you call for hot water you need to wait for it to reach the faucet. Glad to hear pink won't hurt the hw heater though. Should I hand pump pink into black flush line
Old 10-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #4

Dumb question draining all low points and then closing them before pumping antifreeze is just for winterizing right..when I de winterize I can just push all the pink out with city water hookup...also I will remember to remove house water filter insert before antifreezing
Old 10-09-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

you should either use pink or blow the black line. Yes the low points are to vacate most of the water out of the trailer. Close then suck the anti freeze in then rinse thoroughly into your gray tank in the spring.

Don't forget the outside shower and get under and look at your fresh tank. I drained mine but there was a droop in the line and it collected water back to the plastic fitting. No question it would have froze and broke. I unscrewed the clamp and drained it at the tank.

We are camping our last trip this weekend. after I thoroughly rinse the black tank I will pull the heater plug and open all the drains for the drive home to shake the water out good.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #6

Last question..turn hw heater off before antifreezing or after
Old 10-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #7

Great idea traveling on last trip with low points open but pulling pink thru till it comes out all faucets should evacuate all water..but I will drain first...and when returning from our next outing I will travel with low points and fresh water open...but I may want to de winterize in December for south Carolina..we will see
Old 10-10-2014, 04:08 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Shut it off....just follow your normal winterizing. Run antifreeze through the pipes until all faucets (kitchen,vanity,shower,outside shower) have pink on both hot and cold. Antifreeze doesn't hurt a H/W heater. They put bypasses on tank heaters simply because they would take a lot of antifreeze. The tankless ones hardly hold any water.

antifreeze wont "push" the water out it will mix with it. I would rather have a 100 percent concentration of antifreeze than a mix. Draining then blowing out the lines accomplishes this.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:36 AM   #9

I would turn the water heater off before running the pink thru, cause you will have to open the hot side to get pink in, causing the heater to turn on.
short kid is offline   Reply With Quote