Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #1

Yet ANOTHER winterizing question...

In reference to our 2015 Redhawk...

It stays hooked with 2 ceramic heaters running, and the furnace set at 50 degrees, as a backup. That was fine in the Jay Flight TT to keep anything from suffering freeze damage, but this is our first motorhome, and I want to make sure that it's safe.

I plan to open the inside access hatch to the water valves and water filter area to keep warm air circulating in there, and keep about 4 inches of water in all of the tanks (for expansion room).

Keeping in mind that we don't get a lot of hard freezes in this part of West Virginia, can I get some comments as to whether this will be sufficient to keep the unit safe from the winter temps?

Thanks!!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Isn't cheaper to get a 100lb propane bottle and let the furnace do the job? Is the underbody enclosed? The interior plumbing you don't have to worry as much. If the underbody is open then under need things might freeze. Here in Canada I have seen people putting vinyl skirting around their RV at 33 to 20F. There's always heat loss from the RV itself and maybe in your area it might be sufficient. Just experience with different options. Good luck!
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:31 PM   #3

If you don't plan on using it till next spring, I believe I would do a full winterization on it, especially until any warranties expire on it. JMO
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:10 PM   #4

OK -YES- it would likely be fine, but try this. Empty all your tanks (fresh, black, gray,water heater) then pull all the low point drains. Finally leave the faucets open. Now you will be set in your warmer climate.
TIM
qwed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #5

I'm new here and with motorhomes in general, but for as much as they cost I think I would just go ahead and spend the half hour and the $15 to properly winterized it fully. Just my opinion and we know what those are like.
Greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:35 AM   #6

I too had a JayFlight TT and all I needed to do was heat the unit because Jayco ran all the plumbing inside the TT. Never had a problem. The Greyhawk / Redhawk on the other hand are completely different animals. If you crawl under the MH you will quickly notice that all the plumbing, waste lines as well as fresh are exposed to the elements and completely unprotected. It is "possible" to protect them from freezing however, unless you can do it yourself you will spend a lot of money. Essentially you need to find all the plumbing lines and heat and insulate them. You may also have to insulate the outside rear exterior storage compartment if it extends below the floor level. After you get through all that you will then next need to add additional 12V batteries because the single group 27 battery WILL NOT do the job. It will be fine for when you are connected to shore power but will quickly die as soon as you disconnect. Unfortunately, these units are designed for purely warm weather use and storage. Jayco states that they are only designed for use above 40F. Another thing you may need to consider which I did. I had to install a mechanical dehumidifier to keep the humidity down to 35% RH.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote