Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2016, 02:42 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
This mod was well worth the $4 cost of the dimmer.
Now I can have the whole area lit up like the sun or dimmed down to a respectable campfire dimmed level. And it's not obnoxious if I leave it on all night.
I used the manual knob dimmer and installed it in the storage area for easy reach.
Klassic - were you able to find both wires direct from the LED in the basement of your North Point? Or did you somehow have to run a dedicated ground wire?

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:45 AM   #42

They are behind the bottom drawer of the dresser.
And there is a hole into the basement the washer pipe goes through.
I cut the wire and ran 4 wire telephone cable (it's all I had) to the dimmer location on the basement wall beside the door.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:44 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsiking View Post
need-a-vacation...My wiring for the awning LED's was right inside the front storage compartment. If you open the passenger side storage it was at the very top to the left. I had almost given up until I accidently stumbled across the wiring one day. Good luck!
I have a 2016 Jayco 32bhds but cant find the wires in the front storage compartment. Did you have to remove any panels or something?
djs1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:43 PM   #44

Guess my mod is more of a repair since my oem led strip pretty much died this summer. Only the first 2 ft light up now. Sooooooo I have ordered a replacement set that comes with dimmer and multi color settings. Now I have to figure out how to remove the oem lights as they are mounted in a plastic run that is clipped into the same metal groove that holds the awning material to the edge of the roof. Best I can tell is it will take a pair of needle nose and some yanking to pull it from the grove. Looks like plenty of room to mount the new strip along the top of the TT siding and connect directly into the wires feeding the oem strip.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #45
CTP

Sub'd
Old 04-24-2018, 02:01 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslarson View Post
Most PWM voltage control devices use the negative lead to vary the voltage, therefore you need a dedicated ground wire directly from the light you are trying to dim.

The easist dimmer would be the one I listed here, only 4 wires to connect, and no box to mount the device in, just some waterproofing. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is very small in size. Of course you need access to the wiring on the exterior of your trailer, or access right where the wiring harness enters the interior. Being that they are RF transmitters, you don't have to be in sight of or point at the receiver like you do your TV set.
So if wiring this directly to the wires at the led on my awning, Red to red and Black to black.... It should work? Put the controller directly on these wires?
Shouldn't have to run a separate ground?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180423_114905902.jpg  

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:15 AM   #47

That's how I wired mine, red to red, black to black.

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:35 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
That's how I wired mine, red to red, black to black.
Have you tried touching it when the LED's were on. When I had mine on, It got pretty hot. I also found another post where a member had to get 5 before he could get 2 that worked. I called the company and they sent me another one so as soon as this rain stops, I'll work at trying the new one. The one I showed a photo of, didn't dim the lights at all. Just got hot.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote