Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-25-2017, 08:04 PM   #1

AR-ONE Modifications

Hey guys. New to the forum. Just thought I would make a post about some modifications Ive made to my trailer. First thing I would like to mention is that when I bought the trailer I had a Jeep wrangler. So some of the mods were so that I could tow it better with a smaller vehicle. Such as the Rear Carrier. Now I have a truck and dont need to worry about weight as much. So I was able to do larger modifications that added a fair amount of weight. So here is a short run down on what Ive changed after purchasing this trailer (14RB) in November of 2014.

First was this one propane tank issue. I like to go out for a week or two at a time and run a few things off propane in the site. Such as a lantern and stove (I do all cooking outside). So I made a rack to hold two 20LBers and raised it so I could still use my equalizer hitch. I didnt run dual hoses, Just kept the one single hose. Not sure if I have a clear picture of this at the moment.

Next was putting in another counter top in place of the couch section closest to the door.
My main reason for this was due to a coffee spill that my couch endured from a good friend of mine. Started stinking and once the covers were washed when I got home, They shrunk beyond fitting again. So this sort of pushed me ahead with my idea. I started by ripping out the couch frame work. Then added upper cabinets as they are generally only 12" Deep. This would make the center area a bit wider, what for easier movement around inside. Then found some wood grain tiles and used those for the counter top. I dont have a picture of it at the moment, But I added aluminum checker plate as a splash guard. Looks sharp.

Next was the bed. This trailer has a table that folds down into the bed. I keep it as a bed at all times, and it was staring to bow a little. So I decided to remake all the bed panels. I remade the table top out of 3/4" Plywood, along with the storage compartment panels (not in picture). Then I made some framework under the center portion of the bed. Like a rock now. Not done the bed modifications yet. Still need to cover the open section of the bed. And getting a custom bed made so I can remove the foot section to access the hot water tank and plumbing without having to remove the entire mattress or having to hold it up with my back while Im in there.

Made a carrier for the back. Consists of two 1 1/4" receivers welded to the frame, Then I made two Claws that bolt to the frame and wrap under the bumper to keep it from bouncing. I made a "deck" out of 1 1/4" square tube. Then I made a cover out of aluminum Checker Plate. I just Keep a Jerry Can, Generator and a water Jug inside the box. Then I have My spare bolted and locked to the top. This way I dont have to break my back lifting my Genset out of the box of the truck.

Also removed the factory step and made one out of steel and aluminum checker again. I didnt like how the step was bolted to wood. Im a big guy, Thats not going to work for me. So the step I made has 4 adjustable legs, up to 6" on each one. Allows for uneven terrain, like roots and rocks. Can easity level the step this way.

I also Flipped the axle as this trailer was pretty low riding.

My next addition is an outside shower. Will be making a portable shower curtain and a base from aluminum mesh (smooth finish to keep from cutting feet). I can use this for dishes, Rinsing off after a lake swim, Cleaning fish, and of course, Showering. I am hoping to have this done in May 2017, Before my big Kananaskis trip in June.

If you want anymore details on anything Ive done, Or have any suggestions on mods I should do next, Let me know. Im not afraid to get in there and do some ripping and tearing.
Attached Thumbnails
truckandtrailer.jpg   kananaskis2016.jpg   cabinets.jpg   cabinetsstained.jpg   cabinetsgrout.jpg  

DarrenJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:20 PM   #2

Some great mods you made there Darren!!

I ended up adding a second propane tank also, but have yet to cut into my counter tops. Still under warranty, so I don't want to mess with it.
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #3

Thanks A2Z!
I was worried about warranty as well. But when I took it in to have the front window seal recall fixed. The service manager actually had a lot of interest in my changes. Had some ideas for his I was able to help with. So I think if I keep going to the same dealer, Ill be okay. We got along pretty well.

I grabbed a few more pictures today. Some of the dual propane holder, Battery tray I made to move the battery closer to the hitch, to allow room for the tanks. The room I have from doing the axle flip. The step I made and the rear cargo carrier.
Attached Thumbnails
trailer2.jpg   trailer3.jpg   trailer4.jpg   trailer5.jpg   trailer6.jpg  

Old 02-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #4

Closeup of the bottom of tank holder
Attached Thumbnails
trailer1.jpg