Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2015, 06:15 PM   #1

Help with Water Tank

New to us 2005 Starcraft 2406, trying to test/clean/flush the water system, and having trouble with the system. This unit has an under-floor tank, and my first question is are there any ways to know how much water is in the tank (other than filling to overflow or burning out the pump.)?

When I fill the tank, it fills (what seems like) very quickly, and in addition to backing up to the fill inlet, water pours out the bottom of the unit from what must be an overflow release...hangs down below, has a white plastic mesh tube on it.

There's a water line coming off the top of the tank to the water pump cabinet, loops up into the cabinet, then down to the 'overflow' (see photo.) Problem is that it doesn't seem to stop, it will drop another 3-5 gallons of water before it stops. I can then run the pump, but the flow is very low.

Can someone tell me what's going on? It's almost like there's a syphon going on that's pulling water from the tank without going to the pump.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Camper Water Pump 7-3.jpg  
maddoxdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:56 PM   #2

that line is for when you winterize you water lines the valve should be in the closed position for normal operation
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:15 PM   #3

I had the same issue. I was trying to completely fill the water tank on my 2016 Jayco 1209SC, expecting once it was full for it to back out of the hole I was pouring water into...instead it gushes out a white tube in between the water tank and the wheel well on the underside of the trailer. I was amazed how much water came out and thought something was broken or leaking. It eventually stopped. I called the dealer and he really had no idea other than he thought it should do that as some tanks can explode if filled to full. So I welcome any other info anyone has. Thanks.
ml7709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:31 PM   #4

Do you have an open under belly? Aka can you see the tanks when looking from outside. If you use a strong powered flashlight, shine it on the tank, you can see the water level in the tank. Only time you really cannot tell the tank level is when it is full.

That "Hose" that you have labeled what the hack, is used to winterize the plumbing system. Normally you want this valve closed. What I do not see is another valve to shut off the ability to pull from the tank when winterizing. That valve should be normally open to pull from the FW tank.

The pumps are designed so you can run them dry without damage.

Are all your cold water pipes blue? What I do not see is a filter screen, prior to the pump. I wonder if you pump has been replaced/plumbed?

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoxdave View Post
New to us 2005 Starcraft 2406, trying to test/clean/flush the water system, and having trouble with the system. This unit has an under-floor tank, and my first question is are there any ways to know how much water is in the tank (other than filling to overflow or burning out the pump.)?

When I fill the tank, it fills (what seems like) very quickly, and in addition to backing up to the fill inlet, water pours out the bottom of the unit from what must be an overflow release...hangs down below, has a white plastic mesh tube on it.

There's a water line coming off the top of the tank to the water pump cabinet, loops up into the cabinet, then down to the 'overflow' (see photo.) Problem is that it doesn't seem to stop, it will drop another 3-5 gallons of water before it stops. I can then run the pump, but the flow is very low.

Can someone tell me what's going on? It's almost like there's a syphon going on that's pulling water from the tank without going to the pump.

Thanks.
Common problem with Jayco/StarCraft trailers and easy to fix.
See the following thread: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...lem-28255.html
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote