Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #1

Just bought my second Starcraft. Disappointed.....

I sold my 21sso hybrid and moved to a launch 19bhs last week. I picked up my new 2017 launch from a local reputable dealer last week. Before I picked it up they replaced a gasket on the top edge of the slide out which delayed pickup for a day (dealer found it on inspection). My family and I headed out for a trial camping night at a campground close to home. Rained like crazy for about 4 hours while we slept. Woke up to wet wall and floor by our heads in the queen bed. Upon further inspection mold under mattress about the size of a half sheet of paper. It was green mold and the wood was slightly discolored from the drivers side corner to the center of our bed platform extending about 5 inches from the back bottom edge out towards the center. I then went into inspection mode and found another spot of black mold on the wall in the front bottom bunk on the passenger wall between the mattress and the wall. Wood under that area had water damage discoloration as well. Grrrrr!! Immediately called dealership and they couldn't get me in till may 2nd. Then called salesman we dealt with and said I was very upset that I was sold an already water damaged rv. Dropped the trailer off yesterday and service manager had a very disappointed look on his face when I proceeded to show him the damaged areas as well as a piece of trim that had the vinyl peeling off of it and a metal piece of trim along the bottom of the drivers side wheel well that was 1/4 inch away from being flush against the side of the trailer. I don't know if he was disgusted with the poor workmanship or the fact that his employees didn't notice issues before I purchased it. We will see what type of offer comes my way. My hope is different trailer as they had two of my units on the lot but I'm guessing they say they are going to fix and add some inconvenience compensation from jayco. I will update this thread as I know more info from the dealer. Thoughts or suggestions are welcome..........
Ffyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about that. It sounds like your reputable dealer wasn't so reputable. It looks like your trailer had problems before it was yours. Hopefully the dealer will step up and make things right. Good luck!
Old 04-21-2017, 09:18 PM   #3

Curious, do they have lemon laws for this Travel Trailers? Dealer seemed to miss, the manufacturer had quality problems from the start. Add Starcraft into your phone call list to see if it can get escalated to resolve the problems to your satisfaction.
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Z_Adventures View Post
Curious, do they have lemon laws for this Travel Trailers? Dealer seemed to miss, the manufacturer had quality problems from the start. Add Starcraft into your phone call list to see if it can get escalated to resolve the problems to your satisfaction.
Update 1
I went to the dealership yesterday and told the salesman that I wanted to swap for the other identical unit on the lot. I was brought to speak with the sales manager. I told her that I wanted to swap out because I was sold a coach that was sold as new but was damaged on their lot prior to me taking it. She told me that I didn't want to do that because it was a hastle. A hassle for them is more like it as they wouldn't be able to sell my current unit as new anymore. She told me that they will fix things to my satisfaction even if jayco doesn't cover it all as well as compensate me. Hmmm sounds too good to be true but I will hear something this week. I demanded every piece of interior that has noticeable water damage be completely replaced and the moldy areas not just painted over with kilz but actually replaced. Could be a lot of work for them. We will see what they say but I will most likely be calling the better business bureau if things start to go bad and ask for either a refund or the other undamaged coach. As far as lemon laws go...if they have my coach for 30 consecutive days to fix it or have my unit in to fix the same problem more than 3 times it falls under lemon law. The saga continues but everyone I talk to tells me that I should really demand a new unit not have them fix this one.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:20 AM   #5

Oh man, sorry to hear about you problem!
If it was me, I would demand a new unit also. Who knows what other damage has been done that you haven't noticed yet.
Good luck!

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:35 PM   #6

Submitted a complaint to better business bureau today. Dealership fixed leak but refuses to make camper "like new" as described in warranty. Water staining and mold stain still visible. Dealership told me that it does affect resale value at all and that I shouldn't be compensated. I said I paid the price that I paid for the rv based on the fact that it wasn't damaged. I overpaid. I also called Starcraft and they agreed that staining on the wood is not "like new"as laid out in the warranty. Starcraft also told me that the dealership will have to absorb all repairs as they didn't note the water damage upon acceptance of the rv and it was also their responsibility to maintain seals and caulking every 6 months which they didn't do. Butyl tape had a gap and that where water was coming in. We will see how this plays out. The dealership has an A+ rating and only two minor complaints thus far on the bbb site. Pictures are after the fix and clean up which is basically untouched from what it looked like before.
Attached Thumbnails
image1.JPG   image2.JPG  
Old 05-18-2017, 08:01 PM   #7

Just bought my second Starcraft. Disappointed.....

Our 2016 Launch 27BHU has been a piece of junk so far too. Had 9 or 10 issues with it upon pick up. Took my dealer 3 months to fix it over the Winter. Got it home and camped last weekend and the rear awning arm broke. Starcraft said they already paid Camping World to replace them once (one of the 9 or 10 Winter repairs) because they were making a terrible noise when putting the awning out. So, they refuse to pay for another one. Camping World said it was wind damage even though it wasn't windy at all when we were camping. I got screwed by both places and so far have to pay for it out of pocket, even though took 2 camping trips total and things broke on both trips. Needless to say, my wife and I aren't happy. Wife is calling Camping World corporate headquarters tomorrow to raise some . Not happy! It was our first camper, and needless to say, it will be our last Starcraft and last time we buy from Camping World, Harrisburg, PA.
coreynnik is offline   Reply With Quote