Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #1

New Starcraft 235fb Owner

Hello All,

I just took delivery of a new 2015 235fb. Haven't been out with it yet but plan to in a few days. I have been busy covering ever inch of the unit looking for potential issues that would need attention. Thankfully I haven't found too many issues! However I have found that there several gaps in the sealant along the vertical edge of the roof where it is sealed to the sidewall. Normally I would get some Dicor no-sag sealant and make short work of it. However I have no idea as to the roof material on this unit. I called the dealer service department and they could only guess that the roof was EPDM. Can someone tell me if the roof is EPDM or TPO? Also what would be the correct sealant to use in this case?

Also are Starcraft owners allow to post on the Jayco forums?
Mich3boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:59 PM   #2

Thats about the same answer I got for some sealant on my 2016 this summer from the dealer. I called Jayco talked with a tech and he told me all the various sealants and where they are used on my trailer. And yes you may post here we are all in the same family.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:12 PM   #3

Its amazing that dealers charged with factory authorized service can't/won't answer basic questions. Would you mind telling me what Jayco recommended for the roof edge sealant. I would appreciate that as I really want to get this sealed up quickly. I'll follow up with the manufacturer for the whole list.....
Old 09-23-2015, 07:40 PM   #4

I have found out that the dealers from sales people to service don't really know much about their products, I always have to call Jayco to get an answer. I talked to the area rep before I purchased and he agreed this has been a problem for years, so much turnover in staff and lack of training. I have a 12HFD A frame and the sealant is possibly different than your model due to the different type of roof. All I had to do so far is touchup the roof skylight sealant. I am lucky I have inside storage so I don't have to worry about old man winter doing a number on it. You are doing the right thing keeping a close eye on all the seals, even a new unit requires care in this area. I hope you get out soon and enjoy the new camper, we are taking our last trip this weekend.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich3boys View Post
Hello All,

I just took delivery of a new 2015 235fb. Haven't been out with it yet but plan to in a few days. I have been busy covering ever inch of the unit looking for potential issues that would need attention. Thankfully I haven't found too many issues! However I have found that there several gaps in the sealant along the vertical edge of the roof where it is sealed to the sidewall. Normally I would get some Dicor no-sag sealant and make short work of it. However I have no idea as to the roof material on this unit. I called the dealer service department and they could only guess that the roof was EPDM. Can someone tell me if the roof is EPDM or TPO? Also what would be the correct sealant to use in this case?

Also are Starcraft owners allow to post on the Jayco forums?
Congratulations on your StarCraft 235fb. It is a twin to the Jayco 23RB. And yes, starcraft folks are allowed here!
We've had a 235fb for about 4 years and we love it. Perfect for the two of us. The only issue that we've had has been related to the FW tanks. Do you have the 90 gallon capacity? If so, many Jayco and StarCraft owners have trouble with the overflow tubes siphoning water out of the tanks so that you end up with only about 1/3 full tanks by the time you arrive at your destination. Just put some valves on the overflow tubes. Keep the valve open while you fill, because the tubes also act as a vent for the 2nd tank and the air needs to get out as the water goes in. Once full and the overflow water starts coming through the tube, close the valves off. But remember to re-open when you arrive at the site so air can get back into the tank as you pump water out.

Another issue I had was sagging FW tank (I noticed this because the underbelly seemed to be seriously bowed down.) I took off the coroplast underbelly and saw that there were only 3 straps holding each tank and it was seriously sagging between the straps. I went to Menards and got some strap steel (same size and thickness of what was already on the tank) and added two more straps to each tank. It seems to have done the job. We've done several other mods, but these are the only problems we've had to fix.

Enjoy!
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:40 PM   #6

The Starcraft has a 62 gallon FW tank. Thanks for the tip I'll be sure to keep an eye on this.