Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2016, 10:14 PM   #1

BAL Lock-Arm Stabilizing Bar & BAL X-Chock

Guess someone has to be first, so here goes:

After purchasing our new 2015 White Hawk 20MRB, it was real easy to notice how much "rocking and rolling" our rig had on our shakedown weekend. After doing some research for something affordable that a dummy (me) could install, we bought the BAL Lock-Arm Stabilizing Bar, Model 23216

This, in addition to the BAL X-Chock Wheel Stabilizer Model 28014 eliminated a good 90% of the rock n roll.

The Lock Arm is this:

After installation, one need just loosen the lock arm bolt, lower the stabilizing jack and once the trailer is stabilize with the jacks, just tighten the lock arm bolt for a nearly roll-less camping experience.

There are two arms in the set. One was installed from the right rear stabilizing jack toward the front of the rig and the second from the left front jack toward the rear of the rig.

They can also be installed from a jack toward the center of the front or rear of the trailer if you have side-to-side motion.

Here are photos of the ends of the lock arm:

When ready to leave, just loosen the lock arm nut, which by the way, is the same size bolt as the stabilizing jack screw bolt, and then raise your stabilizing jack and when done, tighten the lock arm bolt.

These are easily installed and there are YouTube videos to show you how.

The BAL X-chock is pretty simple to use and this is what is looks like:

28014:

28010:

These product are available at Cramping World and Amazingzon.

Both products do the job and we were quite satisfied for the price and the quality.

Link to Manufacturer website:

Lock_-Arm Stabilizer Bar

BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

Install Manual:

http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/ma...ock-Arm%29.pdf

Bal X-Chock:

BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:19 PM   #2

X2 on what Murff said. I installed the same stabilizing bars on 2 opposing corners and it really helped the front to back rocking. Haven't figured out how to mount two more for the side to side because of the lack of frame attachment points.

Also, adding the Bal X chocks between both tandem wheels helped rocking and it feels more secure. I still also use the regular wheels chocks.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:49 AM   #3

X3 Had them on the WH and they worked extremely well
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #4

Eliminator Strut Stabilizer System

Not the exact same product that Murff presented and reviewed but it's extremely similar and used for the same purpose.
So I thought I would piggy-back off his review.

I installed the Eliminator Strut Stabilizer System on our previous TT and was very happy with its performance.
Installed 6 struts - 2 on each front corner and 1 on each rear corner as per installation instructions.
They did helped reduce the wiggle and wobble - but did not remove it completely.

However, when I move them to our current 5vr, they didn't seem to work as well as on the TT. Only installed them on the front and couldn't get the slop out of them. So I removed them and sold them.

I'm considering installing the SteadyFast system on our current 5vr .
If and when I do, I'll post a review on it.

I also use the BAL X-chock that Murff included in his review.
I have 2 of them and use them between the wheels on both sides.
Very pleased with them.

Murff, excellent review - thanks for taking the time to post.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:39 PM   #5

I was going to do an upgrade like this, but ended up finding a less expensive solution. I bought a pressure treated 6x6 from one of the box stores for $25 and cut it into 8 1' pieces. I put two of them under each of the four stabilizers, so that the stabilizers barely extend. My trailer is pretty-much rock solid, and it is a relatively long one, a 28BHBE.

The blocks do take up a bit of room, but they are very very useful, I also use them for cribbing when jacking-up the trailer.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:24 PM   #6

what size is the lock bolt on the Lock-Arm?

I bought the X-Chocks and considering buying a set of the Lock-Arms. reason I ask on bolt size..is that it would be nice if the wrench on the x-chock would fit the Lock-Arm bolt
Old 04-06-2016, 09:09 PM   #7

If you have crank down stabilizers, it is the same size as those.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
If you have crank down stabilizers, it is the same size as those.

Murff
no I have the electric Lippert stabilizers...wish I didn't...but I do.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:36 PM   #9

Stabilizer crank is 3/4 inch. Not sure about x-chocks. Don't have mine handy to look at, but I'm wanting to say they are close or the same.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:32 PM   #10

2015 Jayco WhiteHawk

Thank you for your responses, very helpful.
Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
no I have the electric Lippert stabilizers...wish I didn't...but I do.
I feel for you, I have Lippert Ground control 2.0. Just tried to level my Sesimic at a RV park here in Colorado and it said Success? Right rear stabilizer wasn't even touching the ground and the middle jacks weren't even on the ground? Tried it again by raising rear jacks and same thing..... Pure junk. Been gone 3 weeks with this thing and it only worked properly 1 time. Jayco should be ashamed......
As for the rocking look at JT Strongarm
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:03 AM   #12

Hey Guys,

I did not really try this yet, but did anybody try to install the BAL stabilizers front to back and side to side? I bought four of them and would like to maximize the results.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
X2 on what Murff said. I installed the same stabilizing bars on 2 opposing corners and it really helped the front to back rocking. Haven't figured out how to mount two more for the side to side because of the lack of frame attachment points.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #13

Hey Bono- I finally found a way to stop 99.9% of the side to side rockin and rollin.
For each end of trailer frame, I cut 2 - 2x4s at 32"-34", angled the top(to inside I-frame) and bottom(on the ground) to accept the vertical frame and the grade. Attached a 5/16' eye bolt in each one 8" from ground and hooked a ratcheting strap on the eyes. Tighten it up and, voila --- no more rockin and rollin.

Stole the mod from Pinterest and this forum.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Old 10-30-2016, 01:17 AM   #14

@ havnfun, do you mind posting some pics of your setup?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:15 PM   #15

Big1- Just winterized and took it all down yesterday. Sorry. Don't know how to post pics anyway.
On this forum, search for Homemade Stabilizers and that's where you'll see some pics, Or go to Pinterest and search for stabilizers....that will give you pics etc.

Just used them for a week in AZ and the TT was rock solid.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Old 04-03-2017, 12:25 PM   #16

BAL Lock Arms

Like "Bono" I bought 2 pairs of the BAL Lock arm stabilizers for my 29BHDS on a recommendation. Has anyone else installed 4 arms and if you did what way did you configure them. Any advice would be appreciated. I was also looking to add the BAL X chocks to help.
Happy Rving to those that can, with a half of foot of snow still on the ground here it will be at least 2-3 weeks before we are out of storage.
Cheers
Chuck
fable081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:31 PM   #17

I just purchased 3 pairs of these. I'll use 2 on each landing gear leg and 1 on each rear leg (both going from leg to center of rear cross frame for lateral movement. I'll make and post a before and after video of how well this works for taking out the movement inside the 5er.
Beach Cart XL
GlampinLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:47 AM   #18

I want to add my $0.02.

We have a 2016 X23F. Somehow this summer we managed to really bend up two of the 4 standard Jayco scissor jacks. Honestly, they're pretty flimsy. No idea how they bent, I think the trailer must have shifted on us one trip, anyway.....

Wanting to firm up the trailer, I bought 4 of the 7500# BAL scissor jacks, two sets of the stabilizer bars (4 bars total), and a pair of X chocks.

To answer a previous question, everything uses a 3/4" socket.

Replaced the scissor jacks first, this in and of itslef was a huge improvement, the heavier BAL jacks are super stable on their own. But the trailer still moves. By the way, the bolt pattern was the same on the frame, just had to enlarge the holes for the larger bolts that were included with the BAL jacks.

X-chocks make another massive difference, they basically stopped all of the front to back motion now. But the trailer would still wiggle side to side pretty good.

I installed one set of the stabilizer bars, both on the curb side of the trailer, installing them side to side, so basically coming from near the center of the front and rear crossmember rail, and bolting to the footpad of the jacks.

Once I snugged these bars up, I could barely budge the trailer, even when pushing sideways on the front and rear corners. Rock solid.

I don't think I need the second set of the stabilizer bars and will probably return them.

Total cost just under $300 for the jacks, x-chocks and one set of bars. Worth every penny. Can not say enough about how absolutely un-movable the trailer is now.
twoballscrewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:11 AM   #19

Just want to share my experience with Lock Arms - I have two sets, i.e. four arms total. They work so, so... The lock arms won't stay tight for more than two days - I need to loosen the bolt, adjust the stabilizer, etc.

I bought these guys - they work better than the lock arms, but they are a bit pain to install and take out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STOP-RV-Sci...-/282337497871
bono is offline   Reply With Quote