Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2016, 11:08 PM   #1

Porta-bote review

I saw the review for the one person folding boat, so I thought I'd post this one for those who want 2 to 4 people in a folding boat at one time.

My wife and I like to fish when we go camping, but with our travel trailer we always had to fish from shore or a fishing pier at state parks (which were usually crowded).

My nephew told me about his porta-bote. It is essentially a folding rowboat that comes in 8, 10, 12, and 14 foot sizes. We purchased a 12 footer (3 seats) which weighs about 70 pounds. I think we paid about $2,500. I can lift it myself, but it is much easier with two of us. The boat folds to be only 4" deep by about 2 ft high by 12 ft long.

I purchased the mounting brackets and it mounts on the side of the RV, while still keeping the total RV width within the legal highway limit.

We have used the porta-bote for about 3 years now and it works great. Allows us to get out on the water wherever we camp. We just use a trolling motor to get around, but you can have up to a 6 hp motor on it.

All the seats, transom, oars, etc. fit into a duffel bag that I carry in the truck. Set up takes about 15 minutes, and always draws a crowd! We love fishing or just going for a boat ride. The bottom of the boat is springy and takes some getting used to, but I give this boat a good recommendation.

Here's a photo of the boat mounted on the side of our trailer. Some people build a carriage and mount the boat beneath their trailer or 5er.

Here's a link to a post I made back in 2102 on how I mounted the brackets on the trailer: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...iler-7457.html

Here is a link to porta-bote's website: Porta Bote | The Revolutionary Folding Boat

And here's a video that shows how easily the boat goes together:
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote