Getting older and having been in the hospital for back problems, my wife noticed that I was doing some struggling to get up into the back of my pickup bed. She bought me a Traxion pickup truck ladder as a Christmas present a few years ago. Here is my recommendation on it:
Traxion Tailgate Ladder
Less than $40 on Amazon Robot Check
Specifications: Listed on Traxion website (ignore the $75 price, Amazon has it for half that price). Tailgate Ladder Ô€“ TraXion Engineered Products
I've used this ladder for a couple of years now and it works very well.
- Adjusts pretty well to uneven ground conditions
- Easy to get up into truck bed when loading or unloading
- Folds against tailgate and is not in the way
- Entire ladder can be removed easily by taking out two pins when you need a clear tailgate
- Very inexpensive
- Fairly sturdy construction, but still pretty light in weight (I'm a big guy and it supports my weight just fine)
- Velcro provided to hold ladder against tailgate in folded position is completely inadequate
- This is easily remedied by adding additional velcro hold down straps
- Ladder can be noisy during travel on rough roads if it is not securely fastened in folded position by additional velcro
A very useful tool and a real back-saver for me. You need to still be careful when climbing up and down and some sort of grab handle at the top of the ladder would be helpful, but I just make sure to hang on to the side of the truck bed when climbing up or down.