Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #1

12 Volt antenna booster plug

I have a dumb question. Could I plug an inverter into the 12volt plug (for the antenna booster) and run just the tv and satellite off of the inverter? I don't see why I couldn't but thought I would ask.
Thanks for any input
jdoddharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:16 AM   #2

No. That receptacle is designed to handle a television only. I think it is only rated to 5 amps. The inverter would blow the fuse.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #3

I have a 300 watt inverter and run the television with no problems. I don't have satellite "yet" so I don't know if that would run it or not. We usually only watch tv to catch the news in the morning or evening but my daughter has watched a couple movies and never had a problem using the inverter.
highlife4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #4

I run a 400 watt Wagan MSW inverter off of my tv 12VDC plug with absolutely no problem watt-so-ever.... I run a 12 VDC NAXA 22 inch LED HDTV (60 watts, using a 120VAC power supply cord) and a 160 Watt 120 VAC entertainment center/DVD off the inverter to watch movies. When not watching movies (watching OTA channels) I simply plug the TV into the tv wall plug by itself. No prob!!!. While watching DVDs, we also have plugged in USB cords to the inverter to charge our phones!!! (off the subject, but our twin 27 series deep cycle batteries provide many hours of entertainment/movies... we then recharge the next day with a 7 watt solar panel. Been doing this for a long time while boondocking).
Old 09-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #5

Thanks for the info.
jdoddharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #6

I'm new to camping and had no idea what that socket was for, Could someone explain it a little more?
mochastudebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochastudebaker View Post
I'm new to camping and had no idea what that socket was for, Could someone explain it a little more?
Travel Trailer radio/entertainment systems are 12VDC. The 12VDC socket is to provide power for 12VDC ready HDTVs - so you can continue enjoy television / entertainment when no 120VAC is available.

Many TT 12VDC sockets also have a cable jack and a lighted push-button. The cable jack originates at the roof antenna and patches into your HDTV antenna / cable input - and the lighted push-button is an antenna signal booster
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #8

Like 3Butchers said, its a 12 volt DC power port just like in your car for electronics that operate on 12 volts DC. It is intended to be used when there is no 120 volt shore power available. If your electronics have a standard 120 volt cord you should plug them into a wall receptacle when on utility plug power (120 volt)...however, in the event that you are dry camping and still want to use your 120 volt electronics, you might be able to if (like some already stated) you have an inverter. But take caution here...your RV will have a fuse that protects the wires running to that 12 volt socket, sized according to how much amperage the wires can safely supply without getting too hot and melting the insulation. You should never install a bigger fuse if it keeps burning out because that means the amp draw is too high. An inverter will operate fine as long as it can draw the needed amps to produce the wattage you need to run your electronics. Check the fuse...if it is 5 amps; 12 volts x 5 amps = 60 watts. If the inverter CAN go higher in wattage output, it is usually OK if the electronics aren't going to draw that much while operating. Mine has a 10 amp fuse so I could run up to 120 watts on a AC invereter but keep in mind, this only equates to approx. 1 amp in AC current...not much...so don't bother plugging in a vacuum or even some laptops. But not all is lost if you do...the fuse may blow to protect the wires or the inverter may have built in protection that senses when there is severe voltage drop and/or when current draw is too high.
bbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #9

Thanks, this is all new to me, had no idea about the booster eather.
mochastudebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochastudebaker View Post
Thanks, this is all new to me, had no idea about the booster eather.
This past July I had the fortunate pleasure of meeting a fellow RV'r in a campground in Idaho, who, after seeing the direction my antenna was pointed asked me how many stations I was picking up. In that location I was getting about a dozen HDTV OTA stations. He got a funny look on his face and related that he pointed his antenna the same direction as mine and got nothing. He invited me into his TT and was amazed (and amused) when I said "...and then you push this little button and the little green light comes on..." Viola.....the same dozen stations. It was good for a beer!