Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2016, 03:56 PM   #1

16' (or 15') Eagle HT 26.5 BHS battery placement questions

Since no one in our area (Reno) sells this model I cant see one in person to answer my own questions. From what it looks like the battery compartment is tiny and I'm afraid I wont be able to put 2 6 volts in there. A sales person told me the battery compartment is on the front, driver's side, behind the front propane compartment.

Do any owners on here have any real world experience setting up a 6V system on this trailer?

Or do any owners have any photos they could post or send? Thanks!
mtedelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:01 AM   #2

We have a 26.5 RLS and the battery compartment is, indeed, on the driver side behind the propane tanks. However, I had the dealer put in a second battery and it is forward of the original battery to the side of the propane tanks and is vented so we don't have any gassing problems. Don't know if you can get to 6-volts in these two places, but my 12-volts fit fine. I can send you a picture if you want. Send me your email in a pm and I'll get a picture or two and send them to you.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jal0710 View Post
We have a 26.5 RLS and the battery compartment is, indeed, on the driver side behind the propane tanks. However, I had the dealer put in a second battery and it is forward of the original battery to the side of the propane tanks and is vented so we don't have any gassing problems. Don't know if you can get to 6-volts in these two places, but my 12-volts fit fine. I can send you a picture if you want. Send me your email in a pm and I'll get a picture or two and send them to you.
PM sent, and thanks a bunch for your help!!
Old 01-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #4

Got your pictures sent, hope they provide at least some help.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jal0710 View Post
Got your pictures sent, hope they provide at least some help.
They sure did thanks!!
Old 01-06-2016, 03:37 PM   #6

On mine I removed the battery box that was installed, and put down a plywood "floor" in the compartment. Then installed two Costco 6v batteries - they just fit the width. Some 2x4 blocks run from front to the batteries, to keep them from sliding around front to back. The whole compartment is ventilated via the openings on the inside, so no need for additional venting. Better venting than what is in my truck engine compartment! Ditto on protection from fumes/splashes - I don't ever worry about it in a vehicle, so am not in my trailer.
My mechanic suggested replacing the inline fuse with an automatic resetting circuit breaker on the charging line. He says that sometimes the current needed to charge very depleted 6v's gets high, and can blow the fuse. With the automatic breaker, it resets and resumes charging. Can't say that I've ever noted whether it was really needed or not.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:29 AM   #7

New 26.5 RLS

Jal0710 - I just ordered a new 26.5 RLS. Need to tell dealer what size battery to install. He said group 27 was the biggest. Can a group 31 fit in the original battery box? Thinking of a group 31 agm. Thanks
Walleyerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:21 AM   #8

Walleyerod, Really can't help you. I would think there is enough room in the battery area for a group 31, but I think mine are 27s. I would guess you will need to get a bigger box but that shouldn't be too difficult. The battery area is quite a bit larger than my current battery box. I do not know much about electricity, so I would also ask your dealer if your convertor will handle AGM batteries.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #9

Walleyrod - no, a bigger battery won't fit in the box. And, a bigger box or tray will not fit the compartment. They are all too wide - went through that when I was looking at upgrading last summer. BUT - the compartment itself will hold the battery. So yes, you can fit an AGM. As I noted, there are big openings to the outside air on the inside of the compartment, so you don't need a sealed box and venting.
Get 2 Costo 6v, and you'll save a bunch over an AGM, and have longer run times to boot. Plus no worries about using the converter it comes with.
Don't get me wrong - I love my AGM's in my boat, but for this use, the added expense is not really needed, unless you really, really hate checking water levels a couple of times a year.